• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Need tires before moving C14 to Europe--where in NoVA to replace/balance tires?

I'm in Northern Virginia, and need to put some tires on my 2009 C14 before I'd move to Europe. I'd be down for a DIY tire swap, but I don't have the equipment.

I'd like to help someone else justify the purchase of their tire mounting/balancing equipment. I do not enjoy the dealer experience.

Any help or input is appreciated.

There may be someone in northern Virginia that might be willing to help. And we do have a COG member who lives just over the border in Maryland. If I understand this correctly, he just acquired a new tire machine that he may want to try out.  :)  But truth be told it's not my place to make the offer. So I'm not saying who. But he is on here quite often. If he's willing to help, I'm sure he would speak up. But in case he can't, I'd rather not post his name.  ;)

So you're telling me there's a chance! I've seen the videos people on here made, so I know they're out there, but I didn't want to approach them directly.

I'd rather pay a do it yourselfer than the big box dealer. Plus, I might learn something and want to get my own equipment. Then I could do tire changes for tourers in Europe.

JP - you don't say where in Europe you're moving to. I looked into it, and importing a bike can be a pain, especially if you're taking up residence. But that's another topic.

You might want to check the EU laws for moto tires for the country you are moving to. I know that in Germany, for instance, there are only a few specific tires that allowed for the Connie (homologated under TUV certification). My friend Sean carries a card with his bike registration that lists those tires, to be presented to the cops should he be stopped. It is up to him to prove he has the approved tires on the bike.

If you will have to have the bike inspected, and if it has the wrong tires, they will have to be replaced.

Just something to consider.

Thanks for the info on tires and specifications. I'll ask a bit more before making the purchase.

Anyone interested in throwing some tires on for me? I'd rather give you the going shop rate than pay a dealer.

If all else fails, does anyone here in Northern Virginia have any recommended shops to give my business to?