• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

never thought it would happen

tinman308

Big Wheel
my wife and I were riding into my sisters cottage. the road was a gravel nightmare so I went slow. on a little hill i stopped, then proceeded down, just coasting. nice and safe, right? the stones started to roll under the wheels. brakes locked up but still going on the damn stones. turns out you can't stay upright in these conditions. we fell over to the side of the road with the bike on us. i swear,the older i get, the more undignified falling becomes. we did not get hurt, but the upper fairing now is split from the windshield to the signal light. sort of repaired it but will always be a story to tell.

Welcome to the forum, Tinman!  Sorry to see your tale of woe; one of the only things worse than dropping Connie is dropping her with the better half riding pillion.  Oddly enough, you would probably have been safer if you'd been moving a little faster - rolling downhill on gravel is a bad place to try to keep the speed down.  And your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

After getting a flat tire from nail on highway, and riding to safety of off ramp 5 miles later and busting the bead of rear tire on 102 degree day, I decided to sit on hill in shade, waiting for mine and Connies transportation.  However mother nature had other things in mind as wind kicked up drastically and dumped her onto her right side.  My upper fairing broke as well, since I had taken saddlebag off to asses damage, and my cowling broke in same spot, about 1 1/2 inches.  Insurance company bought me a new one, that I never installed, due to being unsure how it is mounted.  3 years later, crack is still barely noticeable, and no further damage, which I was worried about.  Sorry to hear your tale of woe.  Good luck getting her fixed.