• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New 14 rider

don scott

Big Wheel
Picked up a leftover 08,14w/ABS about 8 days ago, new bike with a 3 year warranty. Have 500 miles on it and a ton of questions, if I may. I had a 99 Concours which was a tad bit tall for me at 5'10". Dropped it three times at no speed, gravel,etc. The new 14 seems as tall, but weighs a bit more and seems to have a lower center of gravity, but still scary for a 67 year old. I'll put up with the heat this summer because I like fall and early winter riding, but, even in the full up position, the windscreen is too short and I must wear soft ear plugs inside my full face helmet. Can I swap out a '10 new and improved (higher) windshield by just buying and bolting to my hardware? Will that do the trick? I am also considering risers for the bars, but it doesn't look like the short cables will permit it. Surely they left enough cable to come up an inch or so. Also,and I think I know the answer to this one. Can I put an aftermarket throttle lock on it like I had on my 99. It takes some getting used to but carpal tunnel makes it hard to be out there all day. Sorry this is so long but I just got my membership materials in the mail today and I have ridden the 14 every day since I got it. I am a little intimidated by the weight and size, but when cruising along at higher speeds, it seems exceptionally well mannered.

The 2010 shield is considerably taller than the '07-09. Don't know how many inches. I do know that the Cee Bailey Ultra Tour is 4.5 inches taller than the stock 2010. Best thing is to bring a ruler to the various COG functions, ask questions and decide which one you want. There are a lot of aftermarket shields available for your bike including used ones you may find on this forum or http://forum.concours.org/ (don't ask). Both http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/ and http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/ sell risers (that will fit) and screens for this bike and also lower than stock seats and foot pegs. Their service is excellent. Welcome to new Connie.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to make as many events as I can. Riding without the bags for the time being. Eliminates kicking them with my riding boots, and in case I toss it, the bags won't be damaged. Not a forever thing. Just until I build up my confidence.

Got down to Canaan Valley for the weekend ride. Weather could not have been better and Joe Cyprych put together a great weekend. I followed him, Kevin, John, and brother Dave on some of the best tour routes I have ever experienced. Hard to believe there is anything better, anywhere. Joe set a reasonably fast pace and what I lost in the twisties, I tried to make up on the straightaways, of which there just enough. I lived four years in Alaska and some of the views were equal, if not better. I would do it all over again. Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome and thanks again to Joe for an awesome weekend.