• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New 87 owner in NY

Tour1

Hello! I recently bought a 1987 Concours from a dealer in New Jersey. Got a tune-up etc from a local dealer and have about 1300 miles of my own miles commuting on it, 74K now on the dash. It needs a right side air deflector and after a bout with a leaky hose I have new ones on order. I have a membership (sort of) with issues posted in the member questions area. I work at night so I won't be real active socially. It's past my bedtime now so I'm sleepy and perhaps less than 100% so I'll keep it short. Nice meeting you-all. P.S. The bike looks a lot like the one posted by the previous new guy with an old bike, except there's no trunk, and there's a ding instead of the word 'Kawasaki'. New to the Concours

As another fellow NY'er who also works nights (just got off) welcome to the club. My job is a blessing in that I actually get to ride as part of my job and I am reimbursed for mileage. As a night owl, I recommend your first farkle should be a set of PIA lights, I have them mounted under my headlights between the forks. Makes a big difference in avoiding the critters. Stay safe.

Welcome, James Kzny, Do you have a pic of your bike with the lights? Not much room between the fairing and fender between the forks. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

James, Welcome! And congrats on the Connie! I'm just west of you in Ridge, we'll have to try and get a ride in this summer. Good luck with the bike!

Welcome from yet another New Yorker. But I'm a hair more upstate! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 08 C14,03 Mean Streak, & 86 C10
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg

Coram, Ridge, Calverton... even Walkill isn't so far off. Washington's a long way :) I was just up to Howe Caverns, not by bike but it was a nice overnighter with a little wandering around the Albany area. My next on-purpose ride (as opposed to a ride-of-opportunity like commuting to work) is going to be a trip to US-1 in New Jersey, basically to check my speedometer. I did it on my last bike and found it was showing 9% over actual speed. I basically strap a digital wristwatch on the handlebars then try to ride 6-0 while using the stopwatch function between milemarkers. US-1 (in the right places) is straight with widely spaced traffic lights and businesses along the side, diners now and then. It will be a midnighter when there's no traffic to dodge or pass, and likely a spur-of-the-moment. New to the Concours

James Just about every stock Concours speedo is, ummm... conservative. I This has been verified countless times by different people using GPS, speed RADAR, and stopwatch in a measured mile. My personal experience is that I find my speedo to read about 5 MPH faster than the speed indicated on my GPS.