• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Brakes

atoughram

I changed my rear tire for the first time today, replaced the Michelin PR2 with another PR2.  I noticed that the rear brake pads are toast.  They're not metal-2-metal yet but getting close. 

I've done some reading here and it appears that most are either sold on stockers or EBC pads.  I have to order the front tire in the next week or so, and Motorcycle Superstore has BikeMaster pads for the C14.  Anyone have any experience with BikeMaster pads?? 

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/82/42925/23287/PITEM/BikeMaster-Brake-Pads-2008-Kawasaki-Concours-14-Parts.aspx

A really nice rear pad is the Galfer Organic pad.  Its not as sticky, for lack of a better word..less friction. They give a really good feel as compared to the soock pads with much more feel between on and locked.    They are really gentle on the rotor, but they do leave some dust behind.  For me, its never been worth the 5-10 dollar savings to try any of the house brand pads.

I put brakes on with the 3rd set of tires and probably didn't need 'em just yet.  Just sayin' that 'getting close' does not necessarily mean time to replace.  The new pads are not terribly thick to start with and the bottom of that groove (that tells you when to replace) is very close to the metal.

I'd estimate that there is 0.015" of pad left on the backing plate - too close for my comfort.  In fact I'd have changed them long ago but I just bought the bike a few weeks ago. 

I've got Galfer Green pads on my KLR, they seem to be ok but they wear out rather quickly. 

I dont think I woudl run green on the street as they do wear fast, like you noticed.

AThey have  ablack pad, wiht black backign that works really well. "GG" rated so it does nto bite as strongly as the oem pad.  You still get  a firm pedal feel and  a lot of power if you push hard.

EBC Double H pads seem to be close to the stock arrangement.  I'll take a look at those too.  The nearest Kawi dealer is 20 miles away, so I'll probably go with aftermarkets delivered to my doorstep..  ;D

I replaced the original pads with DP SDP964 HH sintered steel pads. The stopping power is amazing, no fade and no dust. Don't believe the rumors that sintered steel causes excess rotor wear.

HH pads is the way to go. My bikes front brakes were pulsing so bad the front end was diving. Had nothing to do with warped rotors.
The HH pads stop it all.

The front pads were fine, but I did replace the rears with EBC HH pads - all I can say is WOW!  They stop NOW!

Seem dustier though - but time will tell - they're still seating.