• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New CA rider

roman

Training Wheels
Well, I finally did it. I joined COG! I am new to riding and bought my first bike about 8 months ago. An 01 Concours. I really did not know much about bikes but wanted to start for quite a while. (did not trust myself when I was younger to ride safely)I found the connie on Craiglist from a guy only 5 miles from my house. (great shape, great price)Then the fun began. Took the MSF course, got my license. Since then I have been constantly on the net researching. This is what led me to COG. (I also met a cogger at the IMS in Long Beach). Riding and working on my skill has been a joy. Riding to work as often as weather permits ( which is pretty often in California) My wife rides with me as well. Working on making the seat and backrest a little more comfortable for her. Looking forward to going on some rides this spring/summer. You guys have been a great help on researching where to get all the farkles I want. Riding as much as I can to see what ones I really want. :)Also hoping to ride with any in CA. 2001 Concours California

Wow, I admire your starting with the Concours. It took me quite a while to get to the big leagues, but so far I'm enjoying my C-10 immensely. With 7 inches of new fallen snow here in Maryland I also envy your California sunshine. Enjoy, and welcome! Phil Willems

Welcome Breadman, congrats on the new bike and welcome to COG. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Welcome to COG... Many SO's complain about the Kaw OEM backrest. It is more of a "keep the butt on the seat" item. Many folks have gone to a top case with a backrest. More storage and a decently positioned backrest. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Welcome Breadude, at least you bought the fastest color, SONIC BLUE!!!! :) Check out Mr. Pepsi (Brent) he's in SF. Dave Muzzey St. Charles, IL COG#7957 '01 Connie
2325745050103317432S200x200Q85.jpg
2525116280103317432S200x200Q85.jpg

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. :) Steve - There was a Givi Topcase on the bike when I bought it. It has a great amount of space but the backrest is a little small and my wife is as tall as I am (5'11") so it hits her in the low back. I just took it in though and had an upholtry guy add some foam and recover it. I am waiting for my seat to get back from having the guts redone by Spencers Moto Care in Florida (much cheaper then buying a new seat) I hope with these enhancements she will be comfy. I'll let you know. Dave - Sonic blue is cool all the way! :8|: Will be looking for some pi stripping in the summer. I will have to check out Mr. Pepsi. I am only an hour and a half from SF....Thanks 2001 Concours California

Welcome from the other coast. Sammie Timmons 74 gt380 totaled 74 gt750 totaled 80 gs850 totaled 05 vulcan 750 traded 08 c14 my baby 08 versys (my wife's)

SCHWEET! We should definitely hook up for a ride. We can go solo or take our SOs along with. mrpepsi at mrpepsi com ----------------------- Brent Johnson AMA# 1046574 COG# 8402 SF Bay Area California 1988 Red Concours "Ruby" connie-dot-mrpepsi-dot-com

Oh yeah, that's how it starts. Getting the backrest customized, restuffing the seat, pretty soon you'll end up like one of the guys who've completely redone everything. There are bikes here that practically the only thing on them still a Concours is the name plate! Alas, you'll have fun doing it too so there's no saving you now. Give me a ring when you go out to the store to pick up a gallon of milk and find yourself in North Carolina. :) Actually, I have a Connie too so you can call if you're w/in 1000 miles of NC too.

Welcome Breadman! I did the exact same thing last year: took the MSF course in late March, bought the bike the following week. Been riding every chance I get (7,000 miles and counting in my first year), learning a lot, and having a blast. I appreciate this bike more and more every time I get on it! Enjoy and ride safe! p.s. keep practicing your slow speed maneuvers for awhile as the Connie is top-heavy with a full tank. I just go down to the same course that the MSF uses and pracitice there. You might also want to visit the CDA area to learn about how to NOT drop your new toy.

Mark, It is so funny that you mention practicing slow speed maneuvers. I have been practicing but got a good lesson while riding with my wife. We were coming out of a parking lot when I nearly dumped it. :gasp: Fortunaly I was able to keep upright, but it scared the ****ens out of me. Since then I have been concentrating on slow speed maneuvers to get better at it. I do OK by myself but need more work with the wife. Thanks for the encouragement :) Roman 2001 Concours California

Brett,The wife nearly fell over laughing about the "going out for milk" comment. I think she knows it's going to happen sooner or later. We are gog out to test the seat and backrest tommorrow. Hopefully it will work for us. Roman 2001 Concours California

Roman, welcome to the "asylum"! I know you'll enjoy that bike. And remember, as long as it's "almost" dropped the bike, you stay away from CDA (Connie Droppers Anonymous)!!! Have fun and ride safe! Eddie 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Roman: Welcome to the group. These guys have been there, done that, and can give you lots of advice. As for the Concours, you'll enjoy it more and more as the miles go by. I have an '86 and I enjoy it every time I ride. Hang in there and ride safe, Bob Young State of Jefferson COG #5753
2701633830102771270tJPeZY_th.jpg
2013969990102771270YCqvde_th.jpg

Roman remember........ counterbalance..... when slow in parking lots..... yes it's extra interesting with a passenger on the back. Good luck, ride safe. Hey great color bike by the way. ;) Dave Muzzey St. Charles, IL COG#7957 '01 Connie
2325745050103317432S200x200Q85.jpg
2525116280103317432S200x200Q85.jpg

Bill P please check your email address in your profile. I am receiving failed deliveries to your email address. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Welcome from an Arizona rider that rides in the San Diego area alot. Yuma, Summer in Yuma is not hell, but hell is a local call :) 2006 Connie http://community.webshots.com/user/Lateck?vhost=community

Of course! It's only about 3.5 hours from the house. For me, riding is peace of mind. You're all alone but unlike a car you're out in the real world. It does happen, though not to that extreme, you'll go out for a quick trip and the road just keeps stretching out in front of you. A powerful and comforting rumble from beneath you. Fresh cut grass, honeysuckle and backyard grills let you know they're there and time just slides on by... ::sigh:: Now I wish I were riding.