• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New EBC Pads - lots of dust

rockgate

Tricycle
I've just installed EBC sintered brake pads on my 2008 C14 and have a few hundred miles on them.

First they seem noisy. At cruise without the brakes applied I can hear a rasping sound from the front wheel up to about 50 MPH when the wind noise drowns it out.  When brakes are applied, unless I'm braking heavily, I get a squeal from the rear and increased noise from the front.  I'm also getting deposits of black dust on both wheels (that I didn't get with the OEMs)

I've checked the freedom of the wheels on center stand and front wheel and they seem OK when applying and releasing the brake.  I've checked the pad springs and they are fine.  I had no unusual wear on the OEMs that I replaced (a slight unevenness on the front), and I had thoroughly cleaned the pistons before depressing them to install the new pads.

Is this normal and to be expected from the sintered product - possibly a pad break-in issue?

Howdy,
Very important when installing new pads that you clean the rotor with Brake Cleaner.  I didn't (same EBC's) and glazed the pads.  So I took it all apart again, sanded the pads to get rid of the glaze and cleaned the rotors.  Much better now.
Later,
Norm

I use a brake rotor ball hone that roughs up the rotor surface, and I use brake cleaner to keep the rotors clean after the first ride....

I also found the EBC to be noisy and produce a lot of dust! This was after cleaning the rotors and seating. I would go back to OEM pads on the C14, if I had to do it again.

I just put EBC pads on my ZX-12r and they too are noisy and incredibly dusty. If it were not for the fact that they cost $85 I would trash them and buy some OEM.