• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New ECU Flash Issues

djsammy1

Hello,
Hoping someone can assist. I have a 2012 Concours and haven't had any issues. I recently had my ECU flashed by 1 of the well know recommended flashers. I've only had it on 2 weeks and I can smell exhaust fumes (didn't have that odor before) in my garage after riding and now my bike no longer fast idles at start up. No matter the temperature outside when I start my bikes it idles/stays on 1,000rpm. The flasher had me adjust the idle and it still does not fast idle. He also spoke about adjusting the butterfly valves. Bikes rides great but I know something isn't right. Has anyone had to make any adjustments after an ECU flash. Any suggestions. Thank you.

You should be able to adjust Idle. I don't see how one affects the other. Are you turning the right screw?

I'm on my 3rd flash. And I am never going to try another,

Thanks, Steve he gave me a free-up grade years later.

Last edited:
Outside temperature was as low as 28 degrees up to 51 degrees at start up. I park in my garage but park outside at work. Bike is stock.
Just concerned why did I lose the fast idle at start up after the flash and now I have fumes smell like the bike is running rich!! I didn't have either issue before the flash!!

I suggest; Remove the ECU and then re-plug it.
You may not have a good connection.
And, check your battery connections.

Ride safe, Ted

I suggest; Remove the ECU and then re-plug it.
You may not have a good connection.
And, check your battery connections.

Ride safe, Ted
Hi Ted,
I unplugged it twice. The first time for about 15 minutes the second time about 2 hours and I checked the battery connections. Same results. Thank you.

I read and completely understood your original post . Nobody here is going to be able to advise you about changes the flash provider made… but the provider can. I would also suggest this is the providers responsibility and is considered “customer support”. All of this is why I responded for you to go to the provider to resolve your issue.

Steve

I read and completely understood your original post . Nobody here is going to be able to advise you about changes the flash provider made… but the provider can. I would also suggest this is the providers responsibility and is considered “customer support”. All of this is why I responded for you to go to the provider to resolve your issue.

Steve
Steve,
Thank you for your input much appreciated.

I have the MRP and have had no issues and nothing but a great experience with it. I'm guessing you went with a different flash provider. Steve provided a sheet with the flashed ECU that had instrucitons for any needed adjustment. I didn't need any adjust, but then again my C14 only had 800 miles on it.

I have the MRP and have had no issues and nothing but a great experience with it. I'm guessing you went with a different flash provider. Steve provided a sheet with the flashed ECU that had instrucitons for any needed adjustment. I didn't need any adjust, but then again my C14 only had 800 miles on it.
Thank you for your input. I'm sure it's an easy adjustment or maybe I just need to send it back and have it done again. I figured I'd ask other connie owners if anyone had the same issue. Thank you.

I had my 2010 flashed with the exact same experience that dzywicki had, maybe even better. I would send your ECU back to the vendor to have it reflashed. Just guessing but, it sounds like some little bit of the code that makes up the flash didn't quite make it into your ECU and a second shot will get it right.

I had my 2010 flashed with the exact same experience that dzywicki had, maybe even better. I would send your ECU back to the vendor to have it reflashed. Just guessing but, it sounds like some little bit of the code that makes up the flash didn't quite make it into your ECU and a second shot will get it right.
Thank you for your input. I will continue to work with the flasher and see if he would be willing to do a reflash. I'm sure I will have to pay for another shipping. I hope to have this resolved soon.

Have you kept track of you gas mileage at all?
Nick
2014 C-14
At the temps he’s riding in, the bike is going to be thirsty due to the inefficiency of cold gas and a cold engine. That said, that situation can be made worse by the tuner, but it’s impossible to be sure at such cold temps. Imagine 40degree air and a 140 degree thermostat. Not much help if you’re looking for efficiency, regardless of the temp correction in the ECU.

Steve

Nick
2014 C-14
Honestly I have only ridden the bike a hand full of times to notice a difference. I will keep a notice on what I am getting. But what I do know is that after the flash my bike does not fast idle no matter the temperature, my cooling fan stays on a lot longer than normal and heavy smell of fumes (maybe running rich).

At the temps he’s riding in, the bike is going to be thirsty due to the inefficiency of cold gas and a cold engine. That said, that situation can be made worse by the tuner, but it’s impossible to be sure at such cold temps. Imagine 40degree air and a 140 degree thermostat. Not much help if you’re looking for efficiency, regardless of the temp correction in the ECU.

Steve
Thank you for your input...I'm sure it needs another looking in to but after my discussion with Ivan this morning and him using a few insulting choice words with profanity I will NEVER use him again. I will try another place and figure it out.

Thank you for your input...I'm sure it needs another looking in to but after my discussion with Ivan this morning and him using a few insulting choice words with profanity I will NEVER use him again. I will try another place and figure it out.
Use Steve in Sunny Florida. My flash is awesome from him. I rode to his home and met him personally. Great guy, and great service.

I don't notice my gas mileage change due to cool/cold temps.
It seems to stay steady at about 42-44 mpg unless I'm really going nuts.
I live at 9,750 MSL in Colorado and ride year round.
Yes we occasionally freeze our asses off.
I've got Steves MR flash and the Connie runs great, even with the stock thermostat in cold temps.
YMMV of course.
Nick
2014 C-14

Nick
2014 C-14
Nick,
After you mentioned the gas mileage, I did look at some previous records where I was averaging the same 42-44 and since the flash my average is 40 per the dashboard. I ride between 65-75, too much traffic to any faster....glad you mentioned that thank you.