• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NEW INDIANA RIDE

myklrex

Big Wheel
Several COG members have been getting together for more than a year for RTE’s. We’ve had some good discussions and made some new friends mostly central Indiana. The group ranges from LaFayette, to Marion, to Bloomington, and others in between.

We decided to have a “mini-Rally” to get more COGgers together, and make more new friends. This being the 1st year of the annual rally J, it’s being kept rather simple, but it is sure to be a lot of fun.

Come join the group, you may be surprised by what you find!

Name: Hoosier Hills & Hollers COG Rally

Date: Sep. 28-29, 2013

Riding area: Many may not know this, but we do have some nice riding in Indiana, namely, in Southern Indiana. There are many hills with twisties and sweepers. If you haven't been to these roads, you haven't ridden Indiana.

Lodging: Camping in park campground, Inn at park, additional hotels in Spencer IN.
Rally Cost: TBD; very reasonable only to cover cost of Saturday dinner, and Sunday breakfast, and park fees (if any). There may also be a park-charged fee to enter the park.

Format:
Arrival noon Saturday. Rally Central will be at the Beech Grove Shelter. We will be set up at approximately noon. The shelter is close to the campgrounds, but check-in isn’t until 2 PM.
There will be maps & information on local roads for self-guided rides. There will be several hours of riding between registration and dinner.
Saturday night Chili Dinner, with Dessert, drinks and coffee included in the registration fee. Dinner will be served in the Beech Grove Shelter (same as registration).
Bisquits & Sausage Gravy, and scrambled eggs (and coffee if course!) Breakfast Sunday morning also included in registration fee (this will be served in a campsite to be announced at registration)

Registration Fee:
$9.00 per person (can you beat that?)

Event not yet on the calendar but should be soon.  Please register ahead of time, if possible.

Contacts:
Michael Crouch 317-889-0027
Paul DeSmet 765-225-1888
Jorge Silva 765-810-4396
Jon Cross 812-277-5545

Mike,  Sounds good, I'm in.

Now for an unrelated question. You had to expect somebody to notice this. An assistant area director with a COG # that's more than 8000 in front of mine, and yet this is your 1st post?  :eek:  I'm baffled.
                                                                                :))

You know how those old geezers are... probably just learned how to use a 'puter!

Sorry mike, couldn't pass it up  :rotflmao:

Maybe Mike is balancing for the many who are active in the forum, but not members of COG?    :)

Jorge

I'll be there, of course.  Looking forward to it, although it could end up being a bit cool the way this summer has been going.

Tony, I don't think we caught the conflict when ae set the date for the Indiana event. We need tolo looke atbthe calendar next year.
We'll see you at the Spider Ride! I'm registeted, and I think Jon is considering it.

Brand new COG member here, had the C10 since June 30th. I love to ride down that way and meet some other Coggers

Welcome aboard Derek!
Looking forward to seeing you next month; you'll be right around the corner from "Rally Central".
We're looking forward to a fun weekend.
Jorge

I live in Cincinnati so I could do this.  Any ideas on the riding routes?  I agree that Indiana does indeed have some good riding

Hey, all you that are interested in the the Hoosier Hills & Hollers Rally, the on-line registration is working!! Michael has successfully gotten all the cobwebs from his posting skills, and got the info in this weekend.
Please register so we have a count.
Any that are interested that aren't full COG members (i.e.: Forum only), please let us know so we'll make sure to have enough food for all. I'll try to post periodically the list of planned attendees (it will also make for an easy way to bump the thread ;)).
We're all looking foreward to this. Some of us will be there starting Friday evening, so there may be more hanging out than initially planned.
Jorge

I'm liking the sound of this! Not much of a camper so I may stay at the Inn. Is there a link to the registration site or did I miss that?

Great! the more the merrier. :great:
Since you're a full COG member, you can register through the calendar on-line.
Go to the calendar, click on the event. In the event page, there is are "Member Registration" buttons, one at top, other at the bottom of the page. Click on it and it steps you through it.
The only speed bump I ran into was that I wasn't sure hoe to register my wife also. I just entered "2" for the number, and it assumed one member and one guest. If coming solo, just enter "1".
All the blanks seemed to be pretty self-explanatory.
Jorge

More details on the meals:
Dinner will served at the Beech Grove Shelter:
    - Chili
    - Cornbread
    - Lemonade, Iced tea, Coffee, Tea
    - Brownies
Breakfast will also be served at the Beech Grove Shelter:
    - Biscuits & Sausage Gravy
    - Scrambled Eggs
    - Coffee, Tea, Milk, OJ

Attendees so far:
Kevin & Virginia
Paul
Jon & Rachel
Michael
Jorge & Irene
Secarob (Robert)
Infini4 (Derek)
Mr Orange (Dale)
ScubadogUK (Mark)

Nice!
Looks like you're only on the slabs when it's the best option by far. we feel the same way about them; avoid them as much as possible. By riding on the US and State highways, you see the real country, not the sterilized version see from the interstates. Enjoy it!

Mr Orange said:
Well I've got my course laid in.  :motonoises: I thought I'd stop at Moonshine on the way down and grab a burger too.  :great: Should be a nice little weekend.

http://goo.gl/maps/dn00Y

Not sure if you have a reason for going through Lafayette or not on the way home. Heading out on those roads many times a year back and forth to Lisle, Nville, Rosemont, Chicago and Itasca I would turn left at Indiana 28 and head over to Attica then on through to US 41. Good roads, no traffic and not many friendly police to help you along the way. Head on up to 24 to get back on your route.

If you really want an experience head on up 41 through the windfarm before you over west.  I usually go up through Cedar Lake and St Johns before I catch 394. Just do not watch those things while you are trying to drive a straight line.

6332178766_b626d2f11f_z.jpg

Less than two weeks remaining to the rally, and we're getting excited! :great:
If anyone else is planning to come, please register (full COG members) or let us know so we make sure to get enough grub for all.

Attendees so far:
Kevin & Virginia
Paul
Jon & Rachel
Michael
Jorge & Irene
Secarob (Robert)
Infini4 (Derek)
Mr Orange (Dale)
ScubadogUK (Mark)
Flat-spot (Mark)

I'm ready to rock and roll. Even got a new tent (that I have no clue how to erect, but how hard can it be)

Do we have a schedule of any happenings? I should be down there about 14:00, unless I get side tracked on a few of my favorite roads on the way down.

Less than one week to the rally :great:
If anyone else is planning to come, please register (full COG members) or let us know so we make sure to get enough grub for all.

Attendees so far:
Kevin & Virginia
Paul
Jon & Rachel
Michael
Jorge & Irene
Secarob (Robert)
Infini4 (Derek)
Mr Orange (Dale)
ScubadogUK (Mark)
Flat-spot (Mark)
Jack G
Tony K

freebird6 said:
Mr Orange said:
Well I've got my course laid in.  :motonoises: I thought I'd stop at Moonshine on the way down and grab a burger too.  :great: Should be a nice little weekend.

http://goo.gl/maps/dn00Y

Not sure if you have a reason for going through Lafayette or not on the way home. Heading out on those roads many times a year back and forth to Lisle, Nville, Rosemont, Chicago and Itasca I would turn left at Indiana 28 and head over to Attica then on through to US 41. Good roads, no traffic and not many friendly police to help you along the way. Head on up to 24 to get back on your route.

If you really want an experience head on up 41 through the windfarm before you over west.  I usually go up through Cedar Lake and St Johns before I catch 394. Just do not watch those things while you are trying to drive a straight line.

6332178766_b626d2f11f_z.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion but I've decided to stretch out the ride home. So now I'll leave Sunday after breakfast and shoot north to Traverse City MI. Then on Sunday I'll wind my way down the lake, grab the ferry in Muskegon over to Milwaukee and then home. I've got a room at the Hampton in Traverse City and my reservation is made for the ferry. This should be a fun weekend!  ;D

http://goo.gl/maps/4XZYY

Mr Orange said:
Thanks for the suggestion but I've decided to stretch out the ride home. So now I'll leave Sunday after breakfast and shoot north to Traverse City MI. Then on Sunday I'll wind my way down the lake, grab the ferry in Muskegon over to Milwaukee and then home. I've got a room at the Hampton in Traverse City and my reservation is made for the ferry. This should be a fun weekend!  ;D

http://goo.gl/maps/4XZYY

You are gonna be in our neck of the woods. Jorge might chime in here to back me up, unless you are in a huge hurry I would take 44 over through Franklin then on to Rushville or Connersville then turn straight north on 3 or 1 till you run back into 69 up by Ft Wayne. You get good roads the pleasure of bypassing Indy and see a whole bunch of rural Indiana. I will be back in Muncie in the afternoon. Depending on what time you roll through I would be happy to meet up and ride a couple hours north toward the Michigan line.  131 is nice easy road up through Michigan. Gas stations get a bit scarce as you get north there though.

If I did not have a reunion in Ohio I would have been there with y'all as Mc Creek is one of my favorite state parks. Took the kids hiking down there and stayed at the inn quite a few times. Looking for pics and will pit on my calendar for next year.

44 from Martinsville to Franklin is a good ride, not many 90 degree turns and some nice elevation changes.  Just don't get stuck behind a Sportster coming out of Flat Out Motorsports! (Ruined my ride last time through there)

Yea, I'm here. Just checked into the Inn about a half hour ago. What a great day for ride it was. Other than some sporadic construction on Rt 1 it was an uneventful ride.  ;D

It was great meeting everyone this weekend. I managed to find a 225 mile route home with just rain at the end.

Look forward to the next one.

Derek

The Good, The Bad, & The Merely Unfortunate

Hello to all,
    I have to say that I had a great weekend, good food, good folk, & I got to utilize the sport side of my sport/touring bike. Whoopee! Mark and I paired up for the ride home, and despite drizzly rain following us to Fort Wayne, we were having an enjoyable blast up the slab. Then my bad karma account came due. We stopped for food & fuel in Anderson, when we were about to leave, INDOT closed 69 due to an accident. We headed up 9 for the next on-ramp; construction detour (ack). I tried to take a shortcut past Mounds State Park; road closed (wha?). Just prior to rediscovering the Interstate, I stopped to don more clothes. That's when my bike started shedding stuff. First my marginal foot-peg snapped off, but the 3" C-clamp I brought proved to be a viable stand-in, & I will be carrying it along as regular kit going forward. Then my spiffy yellow bag blew off, no notice, no forwarding address. I hope whoever finds it, enjoys it. Followed by the rag I'd stuffed in the blow-hole, then the shower cap on my tank bag. I guess that balanced the books, because the sun decided to come out. Made it home without further incident, and the new foot rest came today (whew). So, despite the pricey lessons learned, I couldn't be happier being a Concours owner & a COG member. My sincerest thanks to the organizers of Hoosier Hills & Hollers, and it was great meeting all you other attendees. I hope to see you all again, here, or at the National.

Godspeed,  Greg.

Wow Greg!

I heard about the shut down on 69. Good thing you knew the backroad around Hoosier Racetrack. Glad to hear you survived the rain and broken partz. I ran into it at Greenville OH, threw in the Frog Toggs and rode in it all the way home to Muncie.

Glad you were able to endure and make it home.

Hope to make this ride next year.

Ditto everything you said, Greg.  I felt bad that I was out front when your bag came loose. We might have been able to retrieve it. I guess we should be thankful for great weather Fri. & Sat.  Rt. 135 was a real hoot!  Looking forward to next time.

:motonoises: :great:  Mark

was good meeting everyone saturday, i enjoyed hangin for the evening. had planned on coming back in am for breakfast then a ride, but.... was raining. looking forward to the next one.

i will keep an eye open for the ride to eats.

It was sure a fun couple of days, and it was GREAT meeting all you guys, and seeing old and new friends.
Here's some photos from the rally. As soon as I figure out :confuse: how to put them on-line so they can be accessed, I'll post the link.
Keep an eye out for Paul's email for the next RTE in November. hopefully it will be warm enough to really "ride".

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of DSCF5234.JPG
    Copy of Copy of DSCF5234.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Copy of Copy of DSCF5202.JPG
    Copy of Copy of DSCF5202.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 102
  • Copy of Copy of DSCF5222.JPG
    Copy of Copy of DSCF5222.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Copy of Copy of DSCF5227.JPG
    Copy of Copy of DSCF5227.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 97
Some more photos... just before we went out, and after the rides. Thanks Jon for putting together the maps.

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of DSCF5229.JPG
    Copy of Copy of DSCF5229.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Copy of Copy of DSCF5241.JPG
    Copy of Copy of DSCF5241.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Copy of Copy of DSCF5271.JPG
    Copy of Copy of DSCF5271.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 100
sorry I missed you all but I would like to be kept in the loop as far as meetings go, anyone coming to try a breakfast in Cicero ?

OK guys... i think I figured out how to put the photos in Shutterfly, and post the link so all can get to them.
https://2013hoosierhillshollersrally.shutterfly.com/pictures/125

Please let me know if this does not work; it's my 1st time trying this.

Jorge