• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Member in Las Vegas

vegas rider

Big Wheel
Hey Guy's
  I'm new here.  I just put money down on a 2011 Silver Concourse 14. Should pick it up by the end of the month.  I also have a 2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 and a 2010 Honda Gold Wing.  I'm really looking forward to riding the Connie.  I love the power and smoothness of the ZX-14.  I just want the comfort and conveniences of the bags and upright seating position. 
Things I'll do right off:
1.  Bar Risers
2.  Lower 3/4"-1"  (I'm 5'-6")
3.  Adjust Side & Center stands to correspond to lowering
4.  Grip Puppies
5.  Fender Eliminator and Hyper Lites

Who knows what else???

Monty
Las Vegas

2011 Silver Concourse 14 (Pick up by 31 Mar)
2010 Honda Gold Wing
2008 Silver ZX-14  My first bike

Congrats Monty,

It looks like the C14 will slot right in between the ZX14 and the Wing! The C14 will be down on power compared to the ZX14. But it does fine by most standards!  :D  My only concern is going through all that to lower the bike by 1 inch. You could just buy a Corbin seat and accomplish the same thing without changing the bikes designs. 
Let us know when you pick her up. Since you still have your ZX14. You'll be in a good position to give side by side comparisons as time goes by. Something else you may want to consider as a new Farkle for you new C14, is a possible membership in Concours Owners Group, the club. There's lots of good reasons to become a member. But I'm not going to start pushing anything on you. I'll just provide links to Some interesting reading COG History  and  also COG Membership Benefits  in case you want to check it out.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuOptID=16288

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuOptID=16270

So welcome to the forum and again Congrats on your new C14! (I would have picked the silver also)  :D

Hello there Monty,

If you enjoy your new C14 as much as I like my 2010 you should be a happy camper. I know it can get windy out there in the LV area. Here, in Oklahoma, the wind blows like crazy. The C14 seems to me a stable ride in these conditions.

Is there a good Kawasaki dealer in your town? I am thinking about retiring in Nevada and have been wondering.

Thanks and safe travels,

Thanks for the welcome Guys,
    I know I will have a hard time waiting to pick her up.
          Cap'n Bob
I'm not really looking for the same power as the ZX just more comfort and the bags.  I may do some modes (later) and I've read that I can get some good power from her.  Area P, PC V w/ Autotune, Flies, Air Filter, ZX-14 Throttle bodies, Quick Shifter etc...  BTW I have all of those mode done to the ZX and more.  The ZX is truely an Awsome bike, however I usually end up riding it very very conservative.  I lowered the ZX-14 with Muzzy's adjustable lowering link, and front forks also.  She handles very nice, but I am not hard core corner carver.  I will look for something simular to the adjustable link.    I have read alot of you posts and enjoy your conversations and advice.

Speedewgn  it does get windy here and that bothered me when I started riding but have gotten used to it now.  I do pick and choose when I ride.  I ride to enjoy the travels and if it becomes a pain the I just drive.    As for Kawi dealers I have always had good luck in my dealings , but I do all my own work.
Las Vegas = 9 Months of beautiful weather 8),      3 Month Hot as Hell  >:D.

Monty
2010 Honda Gold Wing

Congrats Monty and enjoy your new ride.  Hey, just returned to OK last night from your city.  Actually first time there and enjoyed it.  Even got married!  Ride safe..

J

Anticipaaaaaaaation... I would say this is the most obsessed time for you with Connie... but probably not!

Hope you enjoy your time with her once she comes home! We have more wind than I care for here in DFW but it lets me just ride loosely and kinda go with the flow... or blow.. head on is less fun. I keep thinking He is starting to run bad!

I have a friend there in Vegas that showed his new bike a couple of weeks ago (facebook) and a broken leg this past week! Rough learning curve. He was still in the ride-a-long training phase!

Welcome aboard!
There is a vast wealth of knowledge here at your fingertips and even more documented behing the member's door!
Enjoy the people.. and the ride!

Monty said:
Hey Guy's
  I'm new here.  I just put money down on a 2011 Silver Concourse 14. Should pick it up by the end of the month.  I also have a 2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 and a 2010 Honda Gold Wing.  I'm really looking forward to riding the Connie.  I love the power and smoothness of the ZX-14.  I just want the comfort and conveniences of the bags and upright seating position. 
1.  Bar Risers
4.  Grip Puppies

Who knows what else???

Monty
Las Vegas

2010 Honda Gold Wing

I'd love to see some pics of your bike if you've made the upgrades you listed (especially the fender eliminator).  I also have a 2011 Silver model and plan on many of the same mods.

Drew said:
Monty said:
Hey Guy's
1.  Bar Risers
4.  Grip Puppies

Who knows what else???

Monty
Las Vegas

2010 Honda Gold Wing

I'd love to see some pics of your bike if you've made the upgrades you listed (especially the fender eliminator).  I also have a 2011 Silver model and plan on many of the same mods.

Hey Drew, I have the Muzzys rear fender eliminator, here's some pics...

IMG00539-20110913-1627.jpg

IMG00533-20110913-1625.jpg

IMG00526-20110913-1621.jpg

Drew,

Where do you ride in Vegas? I'm coming to town in Oct for work and I'm going to hire a bike with some friends.

Any suggestions on a day ride with lunch (between 9am and 5pm, bikes have to be back)

Stewart said:
Drew,

Where do you ride in Vegas? I'm coming to town in Oct for work and I'm going to hire a bike with some friends.

Any suggestions on a day ride with lunch (between 9am and 5pm, bikes have to be back)

Try the north shore road along Lake Mead from Henderson up to Valley of Fire, then cruise thru VOF.  That should give you ~160 miles with time for pick up, stops, lunch a little north in Overton, can return back down Northshore or shoot straight and legal 75 MPH down 15 to LV.  $10 per bike to enter Lake Mead Rec area.  Alternate route is 15 north 50 miles to VOF, then south on Northshore, $10 per bike to enter VOF from either direction, But entering from 15 gives you free access to Northshore road south. Either entry fee is good for another 5 days or so entrance. Speed limit is only 50 on Northshore road, but, um, well, stuff happens.  General rule is, if a vehicle is seen in the distance, slow down in case radar is attached, and watch for Ranger trucks/SUV.  But generally line of sight yields fun riding at your comfortable pace.  Southbound has less traffic, but traffic is usually light and easily dispensed in either direction.

You can take side trips off Northshore to the various marinas and be in awe at the drop in Lake Mead, about 120 feet down from 10 years ago.  Government Wash close to Henderson is a marina that no longer functions, water is about 3/4 mile away, you can ride the launch ramp down to desert floor.  Full throttle run up the ramp is also fun....

Callville Bay sells gas, unless pumps don't work...has clean restrooms and c-store and basic restaurant.  Fun 5 mile or so run into the marina.  You can buy gas in Overton, and just off 15 at Indian Reservation truck stop.

A short run, maybe 15-20 miles from LV is Red Rocks, very scenic, but only a short run through, if you have spare time, easy side trip off 215.  Went there today just to kill some time.  Going to VOF tomorrow.

Drew said:
That is really slick looking.  How do you like the dual exhaust?  How difficult is it to install the fender eliminator?

Thanks!  :beerchug:

I love the dual Muzzys!  :13:

I had the fender eliminator put on before I even picked up the bike new from the dealer, so they did the install not me, I didn't even want to ride home with that massive potato launcher and long rear fender on it...  :great:

GaryW said:
A short run, maybe 15-20 miles from LV is Red Rocks, very scenic, but only a short run through, if you have spare time, easy side trip off 215.  Went there today just to kill some time.  Going to VOF tomorrow.

Gary,

How about 156,157,158 up to Mt Charsleton, that road look pretty interesting, thoughts? Could you do Valley of Fire and this in one day...on rentals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0cknhFYCaA

Stewart said:
GaryW said:

Gary,

How about 156,157,158 up to Mt Charsleton, that road look pretty interesting, thoughts? Could you do Valley of Fire and this in one day...on rentals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0cknhFYCaA

Stewart - that is a fun trip up Lee and Kyle Canyons.  The only reason I did not include it is the weather above 5000 ft up to the ~8000 ft on the ride is 20-30 degrees cooler than the valley.  Really depends on the starting temp in Oct and the gear you have.  I live south of airport, and Mt Charleston is about 130 mile roundtrip on the route you show, do it a couple times per week. 

Have not done Mt. C and VOF in same day, mainly because of no easy way to get from one to other with a connecting road up north.  But, doubling back  from Mt C on 95 to 15 to VOF is not a big a deal  It could be done with short stops for fuel or stretching, only ~250-270 miles, in 5-6 hours.

A few years ago, I was riding in 70 degree weather and decided a fun trip up to Mt. C was in order.  Holy crap, froze my butt off, dropped to hi 30's.  But, last week, it was 75 in the valley in the morning and only dropped to 55 on Mt. C. 

Gary

If you only run the VOF route, you could easily slip over to Hoover Dam, about 15 miles from the southern end of Northshore.  Just east on Lake Mead/Lakeshore to 93, then to dam.  Adds some twisties and miles, plus the dam is pretty impressive itself.

GaryW said:
If you only run the VOF route, you could easily slip over to Hoover Dam, about 15 miles from the southern end of Northshore.  Just east on Lake Mead/Lakeshore to 93, then to dam.  Adds some twisties and miles, plus the dam is pretty impressive itself.

Yeap actually planned that already. I did this tool in a car last year with my wife...we slept in and said lets hire a car last minute. So will be nice to cruise this time, and on a bike with friends and take our time.