• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New member intro from Skip and Cindy King

By way of introduction my name is Skip, I live with my wife Cindy just outside of ATL and have been a Harley rider for as long as I can remember. However, The legendary C-14 had me at hello. Andrea Felice was kind to sell me her 2016 C-14. I’ve read many of the comments regarding Brian and Andrea’s contributions over the years. I am honored to soon be riding their machine and hope to meet many of you in 2024. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Welcome Skip!..and a Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Wow, what's it like to ride a legend's C14? (rhetorical)

I'm not sure Brian was ever able to farkle up that new one to his liking. Most of the knowledge base here knows specifics about his older silverdammit '08 model. However there is plenty of knowledge here about C14s in general to help you in the Harley-Connie transition.

If I might suggest, study up on KIPASS operation and the importance ($$$) of not losing FOBs and how to turn on the bike with the passive system
either for when you do lose the Active Fob, or when the battery in the active fob is dead. I think the riding part of a sport touring bike vs a cruiser
will develop naturally and (hopefully) cause you to smile more and polish less, but any kind of a KIPASS problem because of lost fobs or not enough knowledge will have you cursing the day you bought the C14. Regardless of riding style or type of bike, nobody likes it when they can't get it started.

Tell Cindy that fartymarty said "Hello", just to get that look on her face: "WHO?o_O🤨🤔"

Last edited:
By way of introduction my name is Skip, I live with my wife Cindy just outside of ATL and have been a Harley rider for as long as I can remember. However, The legendary C-14 had me at hello. Andrea Felice was kind to sell me her 2016 C-14. I’ve read many of the comments regarding Brian and Andrea’s contributions over the years. I am honored to soon be riding their machine and hope to meet many of you in 2024. Have a very Merry Christmas!
Welcome to COG Skip and Cindy!

Is it correct to assume you and Cindy ride 2-up? If so you may find value in having the rear shock re-sprung OR replacing altogether. The alternative to prevent bottoming out on bumps is cranking on the preload which we found leads to a harsh ride and wonky tire wear. This may have already been done by PO.

I think you’ll find the C-14 is resilient and a terrific platform.

Check out the site, archived articles, events calendar and start your C-14 journey with us!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Welcome Skip and Cindy. This is a great club. I’m your SE Area Director. My wife and I live near Gainesville GA and travel to COG events together often. Hope to meet you folks soon. Let me know if you have questions or need info about the club.

Ron

Welcome from South georgia. Glad to see they sold the bike. I know brians son, after he got it started, was struggling with keeping it. He also had a bunch of farkles that brian had gathered but sadly didn't get around to installing.

Brian was an inventor, and made some 'gadgets' for the c14. If u start tinkering and after taking panels off see something non stock, shout it out here. Many of us have some of Brian 'gadgets' and can tell U what they are and what they do...

Welcome!! Weren't you the couple getting married in that movie Elizabethtown??

Wait, that was Chuck and Cindy, but hey you ride so that is better!!

Welcome. I hope your new bike treats you well.

I literally just spoke with Andrea in the last couple of days. She mentioned that she had sold the bike. It will be good to know that it's being run. It looked so sad just sitting in the back of that garage.

Welcome from North West Missouri, name's Dave and wife's name is also Cindy. Hope to meet you two sometime soon.
"Thank God you're alive, every time you arrive" my favorite expression.

Welcome Skip!..and a Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Wow, what's it like to ride a legend's C14? (rhetorical)

I'm not sure Brian was ever able to farkle up that new one to his liking. Most of the knowledge base here knows specifics about his older silverdammit '08 model. However there is plenty of knowledge here about C14s in general to help you in the Harley-Connie transition.

If I might suggest, study up on KIPASS operation and the importance ($$$) of not losing FOBs and how to turn on the bike with the passive system
either for when you do lose the Active Fob, or when the battery in the active fob is dead. I think the riding part of a sport touring bike vs a cruiser
will develop naturally and (hopefully) cause you to smile more and polish less, but any kind of a KIPASS problem because of lost fobs or not enough knowledge will have you cursing the day you bought the C14. Regardless of riding style or type of bike, nobody likes it when they can't get it started.

Tell Cindy that fartymarty said "Hello", just to get that look on her face: "WHO?o_O🤨🤔"
Farty Marty, I got the reaction from Cindy I believe you were hoping for. Such a nice message from you so please pardon my tardy reply. I travel a bunch overseas and so much so I just picked up the bike from Andrea this weekend. She was super patient with me and even cooked Cindy and I dinner. We felt like we made a great friend and promised to keep her updated on our adventure. My son Ryan, (Roamingcoastie) also found a c-14 in Norfolk this weekend so we met in Richmond for a quick bite and a hug. Avid rider, builds performance Harley’s and just made Chief! Thank you for the advice. I just replaced the battery in the Fob per your instructions and I’m reading up on it now. We hope to meet you some day soon.

Welcome from North West Missouri, name's Dave and wife's name is also Cindy. Hope to meet you two sometime soon.
"Thank God you're alive, every time you arrive" my favorite expression.
Hey Dave, Hey Cindy. Just got the bike this weekend. Long reply to FartyMarty I hope you can see. Long story. Crazy travel. Thank you for reaching out and look forward to seeing you this spring or summer.

Farty Marty, I got the reaction from Cindy I believe you were hoping for. Such a nice message from you so please pardon my tardy reply. I travel a bunch overseas and so much so I just picked up the bike from Andrea this weekend. She was super patient with me and even cooked Cindy and I dinner. We felt like we made a great friend and promised to keep her updated on our adventure. My son Ryan, (Roamingcoastie) also found a c-14 in Norfolk this weekend so we met in Richmond for a quick bite and a hug. Avid rider, builds performance Harley’s and just made Chief! Thank you for the advice. I just replaced the battery in the Fob per your instructions and I’m reading up on it now. We hope to meet you some day soon.
Hey pop! Looks like you are figuring out the forums. Welcome to the rabbit hole.
-RoamingMoto

Welcome from Western NC. You’ll find this is a great group of friends
We have already experienced it and thank you for reaching out. Can’t wait to get to know this machine a little better. Took her on a rip when we got it home yesterday and MAN, this ain’t no Harley. Total respect! I hope to meet you in person soon.

Welcome. I hope your new bike treats you well.

I literally just spoke with Andrea in the last couple of days. She mentioned that she had sold the bike. It will be good to know that it's being run. It looked so sad just sitting in the back of that garage.
Nice to meet you Cap’n, I believe I saw your picture hanging on the wall in the living room. Andrea is super special as you well know and she spoke so highly of this organization and how you guys checked on her and stay in touch. Between the spaghetti, Corona, pizza roll and a few tears we loaded up and got home late Sunday. I have waxed it twice already. Is that weird? You can tell me. Thank you for reaching out.

Welcome!! Weren't you the couple getting married in that movie Elizabethtown??

Wait, that was Chuck and Cindy, but hey you ride so that is better!!
Ha! That’s funny. Thank you for reaching out. Hope to meet you person soon.
Welcome from South georgia. Glad to see they sold the bike. I know brians son, after he got it started, was struggling with keeping it. He also had a bunch of farkles that brian had gathered but sadly didn't get around to installing.

Brian was an inventor, and made some 'gadgets' for the c14. If u start tinkering and after taking panels off see something non stock, shout it out here. Many of us have some of Brian 'gadgets' and can tell U what they are and what they do...
South Georgia! That’s awesome. All I done so far is wax it, twice, and take it for a rip. What a ride. I would like to pick your brain on Brian’s tweeks. Maybe we can meet up sometime soon in the piedmont. Thank you for reaching out.

Welcome Skip and Cindy. This is a great club. I’m your SE Area Director. My wife and I live near Gainesville GA and travel to COG events together often. Hope to meet you folks soon. Let me know if you have questions or need info about the club.

Ron
Hello Ron, thank you for serving this team. Just picked up the bike over the weekend. Would like to meet up for sure. Need to get a helment for Cindy then we will be ready to roll. Thank you for reaching out.

Welcome to COG Skip and Cindy!

Is it correct to assume you and Cindy ride 2-up? If so you may find value in having the rear shock re-sprung OR replacing altogether. The alternative to prevent bottoming out on bumps is cranking on the preload which we found leads to a harsh ride and wonky tire wear. This may have already been done by PO.

I think you’ll find the C-14 is resilient and a terrific platform.

Check out the site, archived articles, events calendar and start your C-14 journey with us!

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Wayne, Carol, Blue……thank you for reaching out. With the bike being a 2016, 6300 miles and 300lb total rider weight, is the spring something I should go after right away? I hope to meet all three of you sometime soon.

Wayne, Carol, Blue……thank you for reaching out. With the bike being a 2016, 6300 miles and 300lb total rider weight, is the spring something I should go after right away? I hope to meet all three of you sometime soon.
300# total rider weight that includes rider, passenger all riding gear on?

Also adding 15# per saddlebag is easy on a longer trip so you are up to 330+ more if you have a top box loaded.

For us the lightest we rode was 350# rider weight and the spring was not adequate and required too much loading to not bottom out the shock which then also lent itself to constant harsh riding.

Suggest full tank of fuel measure the unloaded, Static Sag, Rider Sag to determine if the spring setting required to gain proper measurement result in too little static sag (harsh and topping out suspension).

My gut tells me you could benefit from a heavier spring that doesn’t require as much preloading and will result in the most use of the spring’s travel and without harshness.

Is current stock setup usable at that weight, absolutely just may be harsher than desired.

Wayne

300# total rider weight that includes rider, passenger all riding gear on?

Also adding 15# per saddlebag is easy on a longer trip so you are up to 330+ more if you have a top box loaded.

For us the lightest we rode was 350# rider weight and the spring was not adequate and required too much loading to not bottom out the shock which then also lent itself to constant harsh riding.

Suggest full tank of fuel measure the unloaded, Static Sag, Rider Sag to determine if the spring setting required to gain proper measurement result in too little static sag (harsh and topping out suspension).

My gut tells me you could benefit from a heavier spring that doesn’t require as much preloading and will result in the most use of the spring’s travel and without harshness.

Is current stock setup usable at that weight, absolutely just may be harsher than desired.

Wayne
Wayne, thank you. I will move on the spring now ahead of riding season. Assume I can source the recommended spring via the tech forum?

Wayne, thank you. I will move on the spring now ahead of riding season. Assume I can source the recommended spring via the tech forum?
There are a handful of providers other members have used for replacing only the spring. I have no experience there though.

I have had very good success with Penske (through Schnitz Racing) that produces a high quality direct replacement shock and spring assembly. Customer service is awesome, shipping quick. For both dealers below you would simply fill out an online order form and provide your machine (Kawasaki Concours 14) rider fully clothed weight(s), luggage weight and riding style. Below contains links to 4 different Penske models through two well known distributors.

Regarding the options that do not have a remote adjuster - it is more work to reset your suspension but not terrible. If you will be doing lots of different weights of riders and needing to reset the suspension preload constant then I would recommend version with remote adjuster.
  • Schnitz Racing (dealer I used)
    • Penske 8975 Double Adjust (no reservoir / No Remote adjustment must use spanner tool or equivalent.
    • Penske 8900 single adjust (no reservoir / No Remote adjustment must use spanner tool or equivalent.
  • Traxxion Dynamics (lots have used, haven’t heard anything but good)
    • Penske 8975 Double Adjust (no reservoir / No Remote adjustment must use spanner tool or equivalent.
    • Penske 8983 Double Adjust with remote adjuster (similar to stock type adjuster)
    • Penske 8987 Triple Adjust with remote adjuster (similar to stock type adjuster)
Hope this helps show some options, I am
Sure many more also reliable out there but this is where I’d suggest you start. Give both providers a call, talk with their techs on what machine you have and what your riding goals are.

Wayne

Welcome to COG Skip and Cindy.
You ARE going to like it here.

I'm going to make a suggestion that is a bit different than what Wayne suggested.
I make this suggestion because your new to a Connie / used to a Harley / and riding a bike that was set up by one of our very experienced riders. (We miss him a lot!)

I suggest that you don't change anything until you've ridden the bike for a while.

So, for now,,,,, Ride and get to know the bike. AND,,,,, come ride with us!

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Welcome to COG Skip and Cindy.
You ARE going to like it here.

I'm going to make a suggestion that is a bit different than what Wayne suggested.
I make this suggestion because your new to a Connie / used to a Harley / and riding a bike that was set up by one of our very experienced riders. (We miss him a lot!)

I suggest that you don't change anything until you've ridden the bike for a while.

So, for now,,,,, Ride and get to know the bike. AND,,,,, come ride with us!

Ride safe, Ted
I can't believe I'm saying this.....it's kinda sticking in my keyboard a bit.....but here it comes......I....a g r e e with red...er I mean Ted. (gosh that hurts when I just blurt it out like that)

I don't know how much time Brian had to set up the bike or if he even was able to ride two up with Andrea before he passed, but I would make sure that the bike is wrong for you as it is and as you adjust it, before I spent any serious money on it. You might find the usual stuff: seat comfort, handlebar height, windshield, etc. to be more in immediate need of attention than the rear shock. I'm not trying to discount any previous advice given as I have very close to zero two-up experience, but I am a frugal person so I like to see evidence that there is a problem before I invest in solutions to the problem.

Welcome aboard!

Well Marty, while it is somewhat rare, he does occasionally say something that makes sense.
As noted in first message -
Suggest full tank of fuel measure the unloaded, Static Sag, Rider Sag to determine if the spring setting required to gain proper measurement result in too little static sag (harsh and topping out suspension).”

Only replace items if you know they will not be adequate. Buying replacement shocks without knowing if you need it may be a huge waste of money, time, worry.

Get your sag set right, document the settings then determine if spring is adequate to support your weight.

Wayne