• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

hayzes

Tricycle
Just joined the forums and became a COG member today.

To share a little about me I will start by saying I started riding 3 years ago with this upcoming season being my 3rd. I started on a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom cruiser and I enjoyed it a lot. I do ride quite a bit in the season, probably not as much as some of you, but enough where I out grew the bike I owned fairly quickly. To be honest,  I also hated the fact that my riding buddies would pull away from me on the highway only because I lacked the power. So at the end of last year I bought the 2009 Concours 14 and haven't looked back. I bought it on a Saturday and took it to Virginia the Monday following. On the other forums I posted a similar thread introducing myself to everyone. That's where "S. Smith" replied and talked about how joining the COG and meeting like-minded people may be something I would be interested in. It took me a few weeks to decide, but I decided to try it for a year and see how things work.

One of my concerns was I live in IL so I'll be in the North Central region. The region is pretty big and I cannot afford to be jumping states every weekend to ride with people. I understand that you do not do things every weekend, but then my concern was is it active enough? I think in some areas it is plenty active. Admittedly, I have my doubts about my own. I've acquired these thoughts through reading events scheduled on forums specifically for my region and then compared them to other regions. It's totally possible that the internet is not used much for my area. I know it's 2011 but I've met people that just do not use much internet for communication. Those were my thoughts before I joined, but I'm willing to try a year anyway. Again, those were my thoughts as a new member. It doesn't mean it's true, so please do not flame me for sharing them.

Hope to see you all around on the forums and maybe meet some of you on the road. Take care.

Welcome to the COGdom.
Like you, I joined COG and gave them a year for me to decide. I didn't make many COG events, but I made enough that year to decide I like COG.  I'm still here... COG folks are great! I'm on my 11th year now....
I can promise you that if you go to 1 COG event and spend some time getting to know the folks,, you'll stay too.
If you don't participate you won't get much out of it.

As it happens this years COG National is up North in Vermont. (I'm WAAAY down South in Houston).
If there is any way that you can attend the National. Do so.....
You'll be hooked!
I (and my bride) plan to go (if my wallet allows)! 
If you go, I'll be easy to find,,, <heh heh>  I'll be on a Red Concours....
Stop at every Red Concours and introduce yourself.... You'll develope a LOT of COG friends.
If you want, ya can talk to the guys on the slower colors. They'll talk to ya too.... <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

Welcome to COG. Looking at the event calendar is still probably a little light, since it's still winter. But I'm sure it will pick up. But as suggested, participation is the key. Rallies are a great opportunity to meet folk you would probably would never have meet otherwise. Get involved and you'll probably be here a long time to come!

Welcome aboard!
I'm confident you will see it was a good decision. My South Central area is a bit slow on the formal meets and such as well, but like they have been saying' it is easy to set up informal meets yourself and the Area Director will be very helpful in assisting.

There is likely a bigger e-mail presence I think due to the Concourse being very attractive to the less "technology connected" riders. I know even my (Dallas) Area Assistant Director is more e-mail based and has nearly no posts. So don't sit by idle, jump on in and help make it what we want it to be.. It is kinda up to us! I am just waiting on some Sunshine to try and set a few gatherings in the area.

Welcome. Glad you decided to give COG a try. My suggestion is to be proactive and contact the nearest AAD to you and seeing what might be in the works. You can also look in the online member listing to find other members close by. A sure way to have a COG activity near you is to organize one.

Steve sed; A sure way to have a COG activity near you is to organize one.

Thought I'd clarfy that a tiny bit to any body that is reading the discussion.

The simplest/easiest way to start/organize a gathering is to send a note out and say,,,
"I'm going riding on Saturday morning. If you want to ride along?? Meet me at the Gas station at XXX intersection at 8:00. 
  See ya there"......

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:

The simplest/easiest way to start/organize a gathering is to send a note out and say,,,
"I'm going riding on Saturday morning. If you want to ride along?? Meet me at the Gas station at XXX intersection at 8:00. 
  See ya there"......

Ride safe, Ted
S Smith said:
Welcome. Glad you decided to give COG a try. My suggestion is to be proactive and contact the nearest AAD to you and seeing what might be in the works. You can also look in the online member listing to find other members close by. A sure way to have a COG activity near you is to organize one.

Thanks for the tips.

connie_rider said:

See ya there"......

Ride safe, Ted

Good point Ted...  Taking this one step further....  send the pertinent info a local club officer to be added to the online Calendar of Events.

You will wanna try to attend The Hunt For Red October rally held west of Madison. Marvey roads, and riders coming from all directions to meet up. Have fun up there.

SteveJ. said:
You will wanna try to attend The Hunt For Red October rally held west of Madison. Marvey roads, and riders coming from all directions to meet up. Have fun up there.

I went to the other site and looked at the calendar. I did not see anything posted for that. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot?