• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

new old road finally reopens. Fastenova and I give it a go

tdbru

Nestucca river road from Carlton to Beaver finally reopened. the BLM closed it for 3 years to put in a few culverts that had washed out. it had been 6 or 8 years since I had made that run before and back then there were 3 miles of gravel/dirt. All paved now, but in the upper elevation (it goes over the coast range) parts of the road, the road is in a pretty sorry state of repair. Of course the road is wet in the upper elevations. and with no traffic on it for 3 years, there was moss growing all over the road. lots of frost heaves. loose gravel and logging debris all over from the logging trucks that have been on it since it opened last month. The loose gravel, moss, and debris everywhere had me being perhaps a bit overly cautious, but we made it. Couple of the frost heaves were so bad that my butt got some air going over them. hmmm...... maybe slow down a bit. while we were still climbing over the pass from Carlton, and up in the mountain sides, I saw a suv and camp trailer that had slid off the road and down the slope for about 20 to 30 yards and were smashed up into the trees. Looks like it'd been there more than a week. Did i mention that the road surface was in poor shape in many places?

Anyway, it is still a terrifically scenic ride. I'll do it again but will wait for a month to see if the moss, gravel, and debris get cleared a bit more from traffic. hitting a tight switchback, leaned over pretty far, and seeing wet road, moss, and gravel in the corner makes one go..... hmmm.... Next time i might bring a packable fishing rod, though and give a go along the river for some trout too. None of the deciduous trees had put on leaves yet, so it will be a bit more scenic even in a few months.

I don't remember the upper section of that road being in such poor shape, but as i mentioned it's been closed for 3 years, which probably means that no road service crews have been up there either.

the campgrounds along the river were still gated closed. But at least the road through is open again.

Anyway, the Nestucca river road is now open from Carlton to Beaver. Very scenic ride. quite poor road in the upper elevations, but still worth riding.
-tdbru

I am sure Salem CBR and his crew would be railing and wheely-ing on it!! Sounds like a good ride for an ADV bike and a good camera. Some of my favorite ride memories in that area are 6 from Hills-Burrito to Still-A-Schmuk, and then north on the Miami River road. Last time I rode the latter it was frost heaved and falling apart on way too many of the 15 to 25 MPH corners to really have fun. Thanks for the intel!

I was just coming in here to post something about this! We had a great ride, despite the poor road quality knocking 10-15 MPH off our speed through most of the corners. I was on this road last September on my KLR650 and they had some long sections of gravel, and at one point the road was completely blocked by a dump truck and backhoe:

1649015856657.png

They clearly didn't want anyone getting past that point, so we found some gravel FS roads and went around it all. But thankfully there were only a couple very short sections of gravel yesterday!

We did, of course, make it up to Tillamook for some ice cream. You always know when you've hit Tillamook county by the smell in the air. Certainly makes you feel alive. ;)

Here are a couple of pics from our adventure:

1649015378394.png

1649015403997.png

1649015426161.png

1649015437173.png

Looks like many parts of SE Ohio. Wish I was with you! Always fun to re-explore roads you haven't been down in a long time.