• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New owner in Oklahoma

Goofaroo

Big Wheel
Howdy, I am a new Concours owner in Edmond Oklahoma and I thought this looked like a good resource for info and a very active group. I purchased a 2004 model with 25,000 miles a few months ago but haven't had a chance to try it out until this morning. It has been horribly hot this summer in Oklahoma and I'm too much of a pantywaist to ride in the heat so it has been parked in my garage waiting for this fall and winter. It replaces a 1985 BMW K100RT. I also own a 1978 BMW R100S, a 1985 Honda XR350R with a dualsport kit, a 1970 Honda CT90, a Honda Elite CH80, and a 1971 Honda CB500 four. Yesterday I installed a much needed new front tire, changed the oil, installed new brake pads front and rear, and changed the brake and clutch fluid (which was nasty-probably never changed). I put about 200 miles on it this morning and really enjoyed the bike. Considerably less power than my K100RT but stll plenty to haul me and my camping gear. A little buzzy at highway speed but not intolerable. The previous owner had used semimetallic pads so the rotors looked a little abused but they worked beautifully with the new fluid and the new organic pads. It has a flat spot that is really annoying at part throttle but I'm hoping that running some Seafoam through the next tank of gas will help. If not I may have to go into the carbs and do some cleaning. It isn't like it is unrideable but it was somewhat annoying. Overall I think it is going to make a great bike for weekend trips. It even pumps huge heat onto my legs like my K bike did. That is a plus to me for those cold weather rides. I will be adding some heated grips and installing some bungie loops on top of the hard bags. I may also look into windshield alternatives as this one really hits me wrong. I already put a tank bag on it. Overall I was very pleased especially for the price paid. This bike looks practically new and I only paid $3,500. I wanted a Honda ST1100 but they were twice the price in decent condition and I wasn't willing to pay that much for a bike that I will just use for the occasional breakfast ride and weekend trip. I am very pleased with the bike and the value for my dollar. I look forward to using this group as a knowledge resource and will try to contribute when possible. Thanks, Andrew

Hi Andrew, I am your COG area director for our south central area. Bill Becktol s your area assistant director. Bill and I can both be contacted through our area page. Get to it from the Home page, Find My Area and then clicky on the area you live in on the color map. We are here to help you and so is everyone else. You should be able to do whatever you need to make the bike fit you. Chances are it has already been done 100x. Bill has a camping trip set up for next month up there so check it out on the calendar and see if you can make it. Photos[/url]