• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New owner of a veteran Connie

xjdaver

Bicycle
I bought an 87 Connie last August and logged about 500 miles so far. It's everything I wanted for touring/distance rides. Only complaint is getting hot (me, not the the bike) on warm days.

I've been riding about 15 years. I still have my first bike, an 82 Yamaha XJ 550 Seca.

Some things have been tried to cool things down for Summer riding on the Connie. Shortened shield, holes in shield, different shield, moving the ducts on the side of the bike to redirect air on the riders legs.
Any or all can help a little. Best advise is to ride faster.  <sly grin>

But, being from South Texas,,,, I don't think ya'll apreciate really hot/humid weather up there!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Welcome. Heat is something you learn to deal with if you want to ride these bikes in the heat. I resort to a short helmet sometimes in the heat.

The side heat shields that Brian? made up are what you need to reduce the heat coming off the engine. before he made thos I have been using ribbed vinyl.
Also the deflector attached to the top of the radiator when out of position can allow rad heat to go over the engine, I had to force a piece of styrofoam in thwere as it would not 'pop' into place.

Another option is to move the radiator expansion tank to behind the battery and replace the tank cover with a home made cover with holes in it. This increases the airflow over the exhaust header and cools things down a little.

Rich R. The original designer did a write-up in the Concourier which COG members can find in the Library

I was lookin hard at a 650 Seca turbo before ConRad came around! It just wouldn't do the daily commute I have and I needed ultra reliable with a twist of fun on the side..

I haven't made it to a Summer yet but my plan is shielding, venting and movement as much as possible. {Thanks Colin! I will be in the library if anyone needs me!}

Fortunately my commute is 9-10 pm and 7-8 am so I will miss the heat all but the "Fun" riding I get to do!
Welcome a"board"

Link to heat shields. These make a big diff keeping the heat off the C10 rider.
Hope he is still offering them.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=17583.0

danodemotoman said:
The side heat shields that Brian? made up are what you need to reduce the heat coming off the engine. before he made thos I have been using ribbed vinyl.
Also the deflector attached to the top of the radiator when out of position can allow rad heat to go over the engine, I had to force a piece of styrofoam in thwere as it would not 'pop' into place.

Welcome da.Nice to see another Northwest Suburb guy on here.I'll be on the watch for your 87' " which i think is a  burgundy looking color?" on the tollway. The only time the heat gets to me is when stopped in traffic and the temp is 80 f or higher.Then the lower legs get really warm.Not to warm right know though.I'm just waiting for the '40 degree weather to return so i can try out my new heated gloves.