• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Product

andydude

Anyone try the new product out there called " RIDE ON " ?? Provides balancing and flat protection all in one ! They have a video on youtube ....... seems pretty impressive so i think i'm gonna install some when i change my tires !!

In my opinion, this is probably one of the most worthless products I've seen.  Save your money (and your wheels). It can ruin your TPS sensors, cause corrosion on your rims, and make tire changing a huge mess. To make matters worse, it can dry out in hot temps and becomes worthless, and it usually won't seal a hole any bigger than a needle.Once you discover it doesn't work and then try to plug the tire with a normal rope plug, you won't be able to because it will prevent your plug from being able to vulcanize to the tire. It also may get between the belts of the tire if there is a puncture and cause even more problems with the tire. Oh, and tire manufactures will void their warranty on your tires if it's used on them.

Same thing goes for Fix-A-Flat or Slime or any other liquid product you put in your tires. My best advice to anyone is to leave them on the shelf at the store, and instead pick up a standard sticky rope plug kit and keep it in the bike.

I would agree with the other people who have stated liquid tire sealants cause more problems than they solve. When I worked as a motorcycle mechanic I had to replace numerous tires that the sealant had not worked on. Cleaning up the resulting mess was no fun! The shop I was working at stopped selling the product. I have tried various types of plugs , including the Stop and Go kits. The best experiences I have had are with the rope type plugs. As usual, simpler is better. I have had rope plugged tires last thousands of miles. If the hole is too large, or out of round, you may have a leakage problem. After installing a plug, check the pressure often to see if the plug is sealed. I carry a high quality bicycle tire pump and rope plug kit in my saddlebag. It has always worked well enough to get me home.

I was shown, by another licensed mechanic, to use a disposable lighter to set the protruding rope end on fire, rather than cutting it off. He said the heat would help vulcanize the plug to the tire. I have never seen this technique shown on the instructions that come with tire plug kits. Is there a member, with a background in chemistry, who could comment on this technique?

Peter 9456

Diderot said:
...I was shown, by another licensed mechanic, to use a disposable lighter to set the protruding rope end on fire, rather than cutting it off. He said the heat would help vulcanize the plug to the tire. I have never seen this technique shown on the instructions that come with tire plug kits. Is there a member, with a background in chemistry, who could comment on this technique?

Peter 9456

simply cut the extra stock off with a razorblade. don't waste the time lighting the thing on fire It won't do a thing... The tire plug seals to the carcass by the copious application of GLUE, so you aren't getting any vulcanization there, it's a glue thing....vulcanization is where you physically melt identical rubber to itself. This isn't the case here. Keep it simple, real simple, glue+plug+air = go ride home

I used Ride-On in two tires on 2 different bikes. I had it in the rear of my Gold Wing and it worked great as far as balancing the tire, absolutely no weights were put on the wheel at all. I also had it put in the front tire on my concours when I replaced the stock tire. And again no weights were needed to balance the tire as that is part of what ride on does. It did cause the TPMS to stop working after about 8,000 miles so I had the TP sensor replace but the ride on just wiped off the wheel. Many police forces and fleet vehicles use it so there must be something to it. It is different that slime or fix a flat, I would never use that stuff. But Ride on will cause the TPMS to fail. The sheriff department used it in the concours they have on their force but it did mess up the TPMS when I  I was having mine changed there was a cop bike having both his changed.

I manage a private company fleet. We have everything form class 8 trucks to little Jeep Patriots and Ford transit Connects running around. I use  Ride-On frequently. It really is a quality product and it has eliminated the need for exterior wheel weights on the vehicles I use it in. It also stops pressure loss in general. I find I don't have to add air over the course of the tires life with Ride-On other than extreme temperature fluctuations. There are two formulas, automotive and heavy truck. If you use the heavy truck formula in an auto tire it tends to shake pretty hard in the front end for a few miles if you park it for more than a few hours. the auto formula has not shown any tendency to do this though.  I have also seen an increase in tire life by running it. It keeps the tire cooler and properly inflated so of course they should last longer. I was warned by my tire people not to use it in anything with a TPMS sensor though. According to the manufacturer it will not harm sensors but when my tire guys tell me it can, I trust them. I haven't put it in anything with a sensor so I don't know first hand. I do know that if my bike didn't have sensors in it I would use it in the bike for sure. From what I understand Ride-On is approved for use by all major tire manufacturers and will not void your tire warranty. I have also seen no corrosion issues. I have been using it for about 4 years now.

Kinetic1 said:
From what I understand Ride-On is approved for use by all major tire manufacturers and will not void your tire warranty. I have also seen no corrosion issues. I have been using it for about 4 years now.

That's not what reps from both Metzler and Michelin told me. They both told me using it will void your warranty.

Wanna see what Ride On did to a set of Gold Wing wheels? Look below. Both these photos were after extensive cleaning had already been done to remove as much of the corrosion as possible. When Ride On was contacted they refused to cover the damage. The bead seat area had so much corrosion on it that the tires would no longer seal, and the wheels had to be replaced.

There have been a couple similar reports on the FJR forum.

I would highly recommend you not put this stuff in your wheels. The only thing that belongs in your tires is AIR, period.

P4110011.jpg

P4110014.jpg

That is really nasty Fred. I wonder why it doesn't do this to my aluminum truck wheels?

As to the warranty, perhaps motorcycle tire divisions have a different policy. I know my Michelin rep says it is okay for use in my truck and auto tires.

Kinetic1 said:
As to the warranty, perhaps motorcycle tire divisions have a different policy. I know my Michelin rep says it is okay for use in my truck and auto tires.

Whoever told you that is wrong. It is clearly stated in the Michelin Owners Manual. See page 8
http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/Approved/Michelin/Visuals/Digital/1-1_Owners-Manual.pdf

I also found it in the Metzeler warranty right on page 1.
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/en_US/browser/attachments/pdf/2011_METZELER_DEALER_LO.pdf

I haven't bothered to look at Dunlop and Pirelli and Bridgestone's sites, but I suspect if I did I'd find the same language. Every tire manufacture I've ever talked to has said not to put any liquids or beads in their tires, and doing so will void the warranty.

Attachments

• michelin.JPG
    michelin.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 84
  • metzeler.JPG
    metzeler.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 82
From Ride-on's web site

http://www.ride-on.com/warranty-a-insurance.html

Warranty & Insurance
Q: Is Ride-On Tire Protection System tire sealant covered by product liability insurance?

A: Yes. Ride-On (TPS) has product liability insurance with the Hartford Group.

Q: How does Ride-On (TPS) affect the tire manufacturer's warranty?

A : Ride-On (TPS) is an inert tire sealant that does not attack or damage tires or wheels. Ride-On (TPS) contains anti-corrosive agents to help protect steel or aluminum wheels and tire belts from rust. Ride-On (TPS) has obtained letters from Bridgestone, Firestone, Continental, General Tire, Yokohama, Michelin, Goodyear, and Toyo Tires stating that the use of Ride-On (TPS) does not void their warranties, unless the damage to the tire or wheel has been caused by the sealant.Q: What Warranty does Ride-On (TPS) offer to its customers?

A: Warranty & Disclaimer . Inovex Industries, Inc. warrants Ride-On TPS to be free from manufacturing defects. The Company shall not be liable for any consequential or other damage or remedy. The Company's sole obligation and your exclusive remedy are limited to product replacement.

Inovex Industries expressly disclaim all other warranties and/or conditions, whether express or implied, including (but not limited to) the implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, satisfactory quality, and fitness for a particular purpose. Inovex Industries shall not under any circumstance be liable for towing expenses, tire repair or replacement expenses, or for any claims or damages (including any special, incidental, or consequential damages, or any damage to tires wheels, vehicles, drivers, passengers, or any other entities or property) arising from operating a vehicle with under-inflated or flat tires, failing to inspect or maintain tire properly, or failing to follow instructions for the proper handling of punctures and other damage to tires.

These pages are in Portable Document Format (.pdf) and are best viewed with the free Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in. If you do not have a copy of Adobe Acrobat currently installed on your PC, you will need to download and configure your copy, before working with the respective files.

So, what is the dealio??????

Kinetic1 said:
From Ride-on's web site

http://www.ride-on.com/warranty-a-insurance.html

Warranty & Insurance
Q: Is Ride-On Tire Protection System tire sealant covered by product liability insurance?

A: Yes. Ride-On (TPS) has product liability insurance with the Hartford Group.

Q: How does Ride-On (TPS) affect the tire manufacturer's warranty?

A : Ride-On (TPS) is an inert tire sealant that does not attack or damage tires or wheels. Ride-On (TPS) contains anti-corrosive agents to help protect steel or aluminum wheels and tire belts from rust. Ride-On (TPS) has obtained letters from Bridgestone, Firestone, Continental, General Tire, Yokohama, Michelin, Goodyear, and Toyo Tires stating that the use of Ride-On (TPS) does not void their warranties, unless the damage to the tire or wheel has been caused by the sealant.Q: What Warranty does Ride-On (TPS) offer to its customers?

]A: Warranty & Disclaimer . Inovex Industries, Inc. warrants Ride-On TPS to be free from manufacturing defects. The Company shall not be liable for any consequential or other damage or remedy. The Company's sole obligation and your exclusive remedy are limited to product replacement.

Inovex Industries expressly disclaim all other warranties and/or conditions, whether express or implied, including (but not limited to) the implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, satisfactory quality, and fitness for a particular purpose. Inovex Industries shall not under any circumstance be liable for towing expenses, tire repair or replacement expenses, or for any claims or damages (including any special, incidental, or consequential damages, or any damage to tires wheels, vehicles, drivers, passengers, or any other entities or property) arising from operating a vehicle with under-inflated or flat tires, failing to inspect or maintain tire properly, or failing to follow instructions for the proper handling of punctures and other damage to tires.

These pages are in Portable Document Format (.pdf) and are best viewed with the free Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in. If you do not have a copy of Adobe Acrobat currently installed on your PC, you will need to download and configure your copy, before working with the respective files.

So, what is the dealio??????

Funny how in one breath RideOn assures you it won't harm your wheels, and in the next sentence they tell you they won't cover them if they are damaged. Ride On refused to cover the damage to wheels in the photos above, and the owner had to replace them on his own dime. What does that tell you?

And then they say they have letters from the tire manufactures saying it is ok, but offer no proof of those letters. And when you look at every tire manufactures warranty it specifically says it will void them if it is used in them.

I can tell you who I believe, and that is the folks who actually make and warranty the tires.