• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New shinko tire disapontment

RoadKillHeaven

It seems like I got a defective new rear tire. At about 35-40 mph handlebars shimmy. At higher speeds rear end seems like it is bobbing/shaking. When on center stand, gear engaged with engine running, I can see a low spot on the center-left side of rear tire. It is as if a bias ply tires developed flat spot after sitting for a while.
Front seem to be true, no high or low spots when spun by hand/foot.
Sorta disappointed ...
We'll see what the guys at the shop say...

If no joy at the shop you may want to ping Western Powersports. They were quite helpful and cooperative when I had issues with the Journey radial on my c-10

Not sure which tire you are referring to...pretty sure Shinko doesn’t offer a bias ply tire for the C-14...

When bias ply tire sits laden for a while it develops a flat spot. New rear tire on my bike has something like a flat spot when rotated. Another word is out of round.

Don't worry, noone here is trying to confuse you... :beerchug:

I've read a post on here that someone had similar wobble 35-45 mph or so. It turned out, in his case, wheel weights were no symmetrically installed upon balancing a tire.
I've spotted that rear tire has 2 1/4oz weights on one size and 5 1/4oz weight on the other.
I'd prefer center ridge clamp-on weights. I guess shop I'd gone to doesn't use such wheel weights.

I will investigate further.

There is no more politically correct way to say this: I suspect you didn't seat the bead. Have you been trained on how to do this?

RoadKillHeaven said:
I've read a post on here that someone had similar wobble 35-45 mph or so. It turned out, in his case, wheel weights were no symmetrically installed upon balancing a tire.
I've spotted that rear tire has 2 1/4oz weights on one size and 5 1/4oz weight on the other.
I'd prefer center ridge clamp-on weights. I guess shop I'd gone to doesn't use such wheel weights.

Just to clarify what I beleive is a typo: reading your sentence correctly as written your saying two 1/4oz weights on one side and five and a quarter oz  weight on the other.

You actually mean 2 weights on one side and 5 on the other for a total of 1 and 2/4 oz, correct?

CRocker said:
Not sure which tire you are referring to...pretty sure Shinko doesn’t offer a bias ply tire for the C-14...
RoadKillHeaven said:
When bias ply tire sits laden for a while it develops a flat spot. New rear tire on my bike has something like a flat spot when rotated. Another word is out of round.

Don't worry, noone here is trying to confuse you... :beerchug:

If I'm reading this right he's missing Brad's question.

lather said:
RoadKillHeaven said:

Just to clarify what I beleive is a typo: reading your sentence correctly as written your saying two 1/4oz weights on one side and five and a quarter oz  weight on the other.

You actually mean 2 weights on one side and 5 on the other for a total of 1 and 2/4 oz, correct?

That's the way I see it. 7 total, 2 on 1 side 5 on the other which is 1 3/4 oz.

lather said:
RoadKillHeaven said:

yes, correct

Hey if you got to find a shop that knows more than I do.. they're all a bunch of dipshitz learning as they go. I'm not going to pay them money to learn on my bike when I already know how to do it correctly . You're going to have to find somebody who knows how to do it correctly already. I think the shop is the problem not the tire

Ted guy who I normally go to is in the process of changing shop location. He wasn't able to help me. He refereed me to this new shop.
So, here I am.
I got the tire balancer, I'll remove wheels and re-check.
If this fails, I'll find a shop with dynamic balancer.
I know it ain't head bearings as it wobbles all the time, not just under deceleration.

Cheers...

Using static balance technique I usually cut a 1/4 oz weight to get my final balance. Every wheel that has been balanced by a shop uising a spin balance has be out of balance when I check with my static balancer. Wether that is due to shop tech incompetence or the machine, I can't say but in my opinion static balancing is more accurate. Yamaha service manual has the static balance technique I use.

You say you can see a flat spot on the tire, I suggest that is the most likey cause of the wobble - a defective tire.
I used to like the Shinko Verge  but quit using them due to what I thought was poor quality control.

This seems unrelated at first but I need to check. You're sure the bike is not pitched forwards by a suspension adjustment you made at the same time that you changed the tire? These are the same symptoms you get when you jack up the rear shock...

Based on experience with other things, the last thing that was altered(changed) is the root cause of new problems.
The only thing I changed was tires.
I've set up suspension sometime ago to where it feels the best for me.

P.S How does out of balance rear tire feels on a bike? How does rear out of balance tire transmit to the front?
More or less like a wiggle or ?

Cheers...

Since the front tire was also replaced the problem could be a misalligned front axle. The service manual has a a procedure for preventing this in the whell installation section, if the tire mounter did not follow this could be your problem.
"Before tightening the axle clamp bolts on the right front
fork leg, pump the front fork up and down [A] 4 or 5 times
to all on the right front fork leg to seat on the front axle.
NOTE
○Put a block in front of the front wheel to stop moving.
•Tighten the axle clamp bolts on the right fork leg first.
Next, tighten the left axle clamp bolts.
Torque - Front Axle Clamp Bolts: 20 N·m(2.0 kgf·m, 15 ft·lb)
"

In reply to the OP, yes, there are out of round tires out there, brand new. I am on my fifth or sixth set of Shinko Ravens. This latest set has an out of round rear. While annoying, I have decided to wear it down a while, but I doubt I will keep it till it is worn out. I am annoyed enough that my next set of tires will be another brand.

SteveJ. said:
If no joy at the shop you may want to ping Western Powersports. They were quite helpful and cooperative when I had issues with the Journey radial on my c-10
Thanks for the suggestion.
These people from Western Power Sports are absolutely AWESOME.
Rep I've contacted is ready to ship new tire upon a proof of destruction of the old.

Cheers...

To answer your question you need someone to look at it with you. There are too many variables to explain all of them here. I wish it were that easy.

RoadKillHeaven said:
P.S How does out of balance rear tire feels on a bike? How does rear out of balance tire transmit to the front?
More or less like a wiggle or ?

Unlikely a rear tire issue causing action in the handlebars; gotta be a front tire / suspension issue.  A cheap experiment: try pumping up the front to 45# cold pressure.  Burst a tire concern? nope, I normally run my front at 44-45# cold, BTW.

My last set of tires, mounted 3000 miles ago using a friends house/equipment, we didn't balance the rear because of other issue specific to my friend.  Did put balancing 'DynaBeads' in front tire only - my first time using this little bead approach to balancing.  Bike feels good - even with rear unbalanced.  Avon Storm 3's for the record.

Yes please keep us posted on the finale. That is where I learn the most. The fix for this is where the education happens for me  :beerchug:

I got new tire M+B. There was minimal (short video will follow) axial run-out on new tire.
Busy doing other things to ride.
When opportunity presents itself, I'll ride and report my findings.

Cheers...

RoadKillHeaven said:
It seems like I got a defective new rear tire. At about 35-40 mph handlebars shimmy. At higher speeds rear end seems like it is bobbing/shaking. When on center stand, gear engaged with engine running, I can see a low spot on the center-left side of rear tire. It is as if a bias ply tires developed flat spot after sitting for a while.
Front seem to be true, no high or low spots when spun by hand/foot.
Sorta disappointed ...
We'll see what the guys at the shop say...

I know shinko has supposedly gotten better but honestly I would never run one. Is your life truly worth saving a few dollars. I am sure this will rub some the wrong way, but I have a nack for that I guess.

RoadKillHeaven said:

I would look for a NEW shop since that is not how to balance a tire. Now if they balanced the wheel first and then mounted the tire I might understand but I do not know many if any shop that would care about that at all.

And for the record I static balance and mount my own tires using my NoMar machine and balancer. I figure if static balancing is good enough for the MotoGP it is good enough for me.

And if Shinko tires are good enough for Doug Re(Douglas), they are good enough for me. Says the guy that just mounted up a Dunlop RSIII.

But I did run about ten sets of Shinkos on my C-10. I currently own a 650 Versys. And an old KLR with Shinko 705s on it.

Once the RSIIIs are done I plan on trying out some sort of Shinko on the V. I did use some 705s early in it's life but I've shifted to a more sport touring tire. Just cuz it handles so well with them.

:beerchug:

RoadKillHeaven said:
Front still wobbles.

Have you checked the wheel to see if it is warped or dented. How about steering stem bearing slack? Sticking brake caliper? Bent axle? Just grabbing at straws here.

SteveJ. said:
And if Shinko tires are good enough for Doug Re(Douglas), they are good enough for me. Says the guy that just mounted up a Dunlop RSIII.

But I did run about ten sets of Shinkos on my C-10. I currently own a 650 Versys. And an old KLR with Shinko 705s on it.

Once the RSIIIs are done I plan on trying out some sort of Shinko on the V. I did use some 705s early in it's life but I've shifted to a more sport touring tire. Just cuz it handles so well with them.

:beerchug:
I put Shinko Ravens on my C14 for Jennings trackway. I am on my second set of 705s on my Multistrada.