• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New tires and TPS

dinodanny

It's getting close to new tire time and I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do with the Tire Pressure Sensors while the tires are off the wheels. I have an early 2008 model with around 13,000 miles on it. Thanks for any info.

I have read on here that some guys were able to replace the batteries themselves, but that it was not that easy. If it were me I would wait till they stopped working before messing with them.

DinoDanny said:
It's getting close to new tire time and I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do with the Tire Pressure Sensors while the tires are off the wheels. I have an early 2008 model with around 13,000 miles on it. Thanks for any info.

The only thing you can do is take them apart and replace the batteries in them yourself by soldering in new ones, or just leave them alone and pray that the batteries last you through another set of tires.

I think Murph's kits was also offering a battery replacement service for them, but you have to send them off to him and wait a few days to get them back.

The TPS issue is one big reason for me buying the extended warranty, which I usually don't bother.

That said, if your '08 does not have extended warranty, or it has expired, not having TPS is not really that big a deal.  TPS is a great safety feature, but it is not a valid substitute for manually checking tire pressure REGULARLY.  None of my other bikes have TPS, and I feel just as safe riding them as I do the C14.

If your TPS battery does go dead before the tire needs replacing, rather than paying the labor & parts to get it fixed, I would go buy a nice tire gauge and check it before each ride, or once every few days if you ride it daily.  That's if you are not already doing it.  But... if seeing "-- psi" on your instrument panel makes you wake up in the middle of the night with nightmares and cold sweat, then by all means, get it fixed up right. :great:

I like having the TPMS, this is the first bike I ever had with it. I know some other touring bikes have them, but first for me.

It was interesting watching the pressures change based on ambient temp, and amount of sun (or lack of), and even from heavy rain.

Drives home the point, you set them cold to what the book says, and then they take care of themselves.

I like the TPMS...

But, if my sensors go bad, how do I stop the silly computer from hosing my dash display every time I ride?

I'd prefer not to ride around with a red idiot light illuminated.

trailer_parks said:
I like the TPMS...

But, if my sensors go bad, how do I stop the silly computer from hosing my dash display every time I ride?

I'd prefer not to ride around with a red idiot light illuminated.

- the warning light & display symbol can be turned off , as per manual

I thought I read somewhere that if one of the modules has to be replaced the sensor serial numbers need to be programmed into the new module. I believe that mama Kaw does not have this info registered, and it is on the sensor itself. I'll be changing tires in a week or two, so I plan to look for this and record the serial numbers. Saves having to break down the tires should a module need replacement.

Scott

Scott Bechler said:
I thought I read somewhere that if one of the modules has to be replaced the sensor serial numbers need to be programmed into the new module. I believe that mama Kaw does not have this info registered, and it is on the sensor itself. I'll be changing tires in a week or two, so I plan to look for this and record the serial numbers. Saves having to break down the tires should a module need replacement.

Scott
That's true if you replace the sensor yourself.  My rear sensor was replaced under warranty, so the dealer service dept took care of the reprogramming.

BTW, I don't think a bad sensor throws any sort of warning on the dash display.  My just keep showing "-- psi" on the TPMS screen.