• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NEW TIRES ARE SLIPPERY!

RodWpg

Crotch Rocket
Not sure if this has ever been talked about before but here it is......new tires are slippery. When people get new tires, they right away want to go out and 'test' them, which is crazy dangerous. Someone on here recently had a crash, and I wonder if this contributed. Here is an excellent article and not too long for those with short atten o look birdie

http://motorbikewriter.com/break-new-set-motorcycle-tyres/

I kind of baby mine for about 200 miles before i try to get rid of the chicken strips. Very good post and article Rod. :great:

the article has some good points.  the weaving is only useful for cleaning the tires.  it does not warm them up more quickly.  repeated braking and acceleration is the quickest way to heat them up.  (in a safe area!!!)

Sport Rider said:
the article has some good points.  the weaving is only useful for cleaning the tires.  it does not warm them up more quickly.  repeated braking and acceleration is the quickest way to heat them up.  (in a safe area!!!)

^^^ i see people do that at track days and smile at such a Sally!  Before we got our CCS licenses we were required to take a race class.  I did the penguin school at Homestead/Miami and one of the first things instructor said is "please do not weave your bike on the race track at any time, it serves absolutely no purpose except warns everyone you have no clue about motorcycling".

I will admit before that day, I was one of "those" people on track days. I honestly thought since I wasn't using tire warmers that was the thing to do
badteeth.gif

ACISROC said:
I kind of baby mine for about 200 miles before i try to get rid of the chicken strips. Very good post and article Rod. :great:

find a totally gravel road, 3-5 miles, ride it both ways.... weaving... almost there...

or, when you mount them, get a shop rag, and spray brakekleen on the tire while rotating it and scrubbing it... removes the mould release...gack...

then heat them up on the road.

Had a brand new set of tires on a CB750 years back, and hadn't gone two miles when a car stops in the road with no turn signal. Fortunately I had a good safety distance between me and the car.

When I hit the brakes. I could have sworn I was on ice for about 20 feet!  :-[

Every new tire I've installed on a motorcycle has been scrubbed from rim/bead to rim/bead with Dawn dish soap and the roughest Scotchbrite pad I can find after everything's buttoned up, on the bike, torqued, and ready to roll off the center stand, and thoroughly rinsed with copious amounts of hot water.  Helps remove some of the slippery stuff.  The first two rides include some parking lot acceleration/braking practice, and a long ride with few stop lights or stop signs, on roads where the speed and traffic won't be high.  Often some parking lot accel/decel practice at the end of the first two rides too. 

JathkaJoe

I've used a palm sander withe a medium grad sandpaper. Just a slight scuffing, and off I go.  :great:

I've never noticed any slipperiness with new tires, but then I've always gotten the stock Dunlops that virtually everyone here hates.  Perhaps it's the PA roads I ride; they're so rough that they scruff up the tires before I get a chance to notice any slipperiness...  :D

When my mechanic throws on new skin for me, he always ends the session with "now, keep it under 100 for the first 10 miles".  I'm pretty sure he's talking tongue-in-cheek, but knowing the way he rides, I can never be completely sure.  ::)

Solomookie said:
I've never noticed any slipperiness with new tires, but then I've always gotten the stock Dunlops that virtually everyone here hates.  Perhaps it's the PA roads I ride; they're so rough that they scruff up the tires before I get a chance to notice any slipperiness...  :D

When my mechanic throws on new skin for me, he always ends the session with "now, keep it under 100 for the first 10 miles".  I'm pretty sure he's talking tongue-in-cheek, but knowing the way he rides, I can never be completely sure.  ::)

+1

99.9% modern manufacturers don't slick our tires anymore