• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New tires on my 6 month old Concours

bneedles

Training Wheels
So I went into the dealer for the recall and took a look at my rear tire and I was getting close to the wear bar. I went ahead and put on a new set of Bridgestone BT-023's. I got 5800 miles out of the oem 021's. How does that compare with your experience of the OEM tires? Supposively the 023's get 30% better life so we will see. I didn't read up on the BT-023 GT's till after I bought these as they are supposed to be for heavier bikes like our Connies. Does anyone have a comparison between the two if I should have gone with the Gt's and/or how they like their new 023's...I paid 100 for the front and 139 for the rear...$340 for both installed. Not sure how much more the GT's would have been. Seems like that was a pretty fair price...Bill

I belive the GT doesn't come in the right size for the C14. Only comes in 180-55.

I got 7,370 out of my OEM, but they were FRIED by then, especially the front.

I had 4,402 miles on my PR3's in 190-50 when I got a flat on the rear tire. Had about 50% thread left per the service manager at the dealership. So, I went with them again. Will see how long they last. They're more expensive than the Brickstones, but they handle/grip great and seem to get excellent mileage.

Hi Bill.  I got a little over 6k miles on my oem tires and they were well past the wear bars so pretty similar to you.  I also put 023's on as a replacement and have 3.5k + miles on them and so far they are wearing very well.  Keep in mind I went from a set of 021's that had very little tread on them (from edge to edge) but the 023's seemed to make the bike handle much better and I am much more confident on the bike than I ever was when the 021's were mounted. 

On the GT version of the 023's....I had them on my previous bike (05 FJR).  I went from a very worn set of PR2's to the 023 GT's and I have to say I thought the bike's ride and handling suffered a bit.  I cannot say for sure but I suspected the GT version weighed a little more and that additional unsprung weight had a negative impact.  Mileage wise....I traded the FJR well before the GT's were wore out so I cannot comment. 

Depending on how the 023's hold up I may try the PR3's or Angel's because of the good reviews from others but from my experience on the FJR I will probably stick with the regular (non GT) version of tires.  Keep in mind....I typically ride solo and even when packed for a weeklong trip the bike is not packed terribly heavy.

Hope that helps!

I ripped the stock Bridgesucks off at 2k miles..  HATED them,  they handled in the dry like most other tires do in the rain... when it was raining they were downright scary (at least IMHO)

I replaced them with a set of PR2's which I had for about 7 k miles,  they were ok for the first 4k miles then they started getting squirrely and started cupping (they had plenty of tread left but were cupping) still seemed to ride ok but felt like occasiinally in light turns they would slide a little..... I decided to replace them with a set of Angels at 7k miles even though they still seemed to have decent tread life left just for that reason

The Angels were nice tires, handled really well seemed to resist cupping  but didn't last too long...7k miles and they were just about done,  I prob could have gotten a few k more out of them but I was leaving for Arkansas and didn't want to have tire problems so I put on a set of Pr3's

So far this seems to be MY tire...Grips well in the dry (not as well as the Angel but way more then my riding style will ever need) and handles VERY VERY well in the wet..  Also I have about 5500 miles on them and they still look almost new... VERY little cupping etc despite all the slab I tend to burn

Hope this helps

I could only stand the OEM 21's for 900 miles. Ran a few sets of PR2s and now on my second set of PR3s. I only get 5k to 7k miles out of my tires. The price I pay for a heavy right hand in the twisties... But it is worth it....

Bill I got 5800 out of my stock tires too. The front seemed to be worse, but the cords started showing on the rear soon after.

Just an update, I've got a couple hundred miles on the new tires and so far they seem good. I'm not a very aggressive rider and don't ride in the rain much (Texas..lol), I think they will work out fine...

Bill,

I got very similar mileage on the OE tires. 6 mo / 6100 miles. Went to BT-023s. I believe Bridgestone advertises 23% increase in mileage, what is right about what I got. A little over 7700 miles. Not one complaint of the standard 023s. Excellent handling tire. I installed 023 GTs in July. The 180/55 rear is the exact same circumference as the 190/50. Check the specs. As soon as went for a test ride I had regrets. It felt like trying to turn a truck. I believe they have two extra plys, and you can feel it. After a little more than a thousand miles I have started to like them. Every tire is a compromise. The added weight and resulting gyroscope affect definitely slow down the steering, but I can go through a bumpy curve now without the bike moving around at all. Rock solid. I'll let you know how they lasted around January.

Scott