• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New to me Concours!

dboisclair

Training Wheels
Hi Everone
I''m 50 and have only been riding for three years but so far I'm averaging 20,000+ klm/year. I've ridden to the Panama Canal once and my wife and I have ridden two-up to Mexico twice on my current bike, a 2005 fully kitted out Suzuki DL650. But....the VStrom is a GREAT bike but with both of us on it fully loaded it's a bit underpowered on the highway. Since most of my riding is on pavement - and wanting something we can cruise on comfortably in the US and Canada - this past fall I started a search for a suitable Sport Touring bike, with cost being one of the deciding factors. I eventually settled on a used Concours for all the reasons listed in this site elsewhere; reliability, power, comfort and bang-for-the-buck. I found a REALLY nice 2005 in Boise that's in mint condition with more than $3,000 in expensive add ons from the previous owner, including being professionally lowered. I rode down and bought in September but since then my schedule has been crazy so I left it in the dealer's heated storage. My plan is to fly down in March and ride back so if there are any Concours owners in Boise I'd love to get together for a beer and learn whatever you can pass on about the quirks etc I should know about and anything else you think I should know. Since buying the bike I've already made plans to add on tip over bars with lights and highway pegs and I'll bring a Laminar Lip with me to install before the ride home so I'll be in Boise for at least a full day before riding home. Just don't tell my wife :)
Cheers

Welcome dboisclair,
Sounds like a good deal on the bike but you have to love riding a used bike home without knowing for sure its status.  I would for sure check tires, oils and brakes close.  Batteries are always an issue on a parked bike.  Anyway welcome and enjoy the new ride.

Bienvenue Mr. Boisclair to the COG family and if you ever come to the Lower Mainland next riding season, don't hesitate to give me a call.
Check the Northwest calendar for rides in our area. The first ride of the season is called the Bun Cooler in Idaho, check it out.

Salut for now,

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Dale;[/font]

Welcome to the NW Area! :D

There are a few Coggers in the Boise area, perhaps one will pipe up.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/size]I forgot to see if you were a COG member, if you are you can checkout the member directory it's split up by State and those offering help and [/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]accommodation are listed.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]If you happen to want to swing by Seattle on your way north I hold typically hold a  beginning of season wrench session in March.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Colin[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ps I'm 50 next year too, but trying to ignore that little chestnut [/font] :'(
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [size=medium][/font]

This is off topic but,  Colin, what is going on with your posts?  Makes it difficult for this "way past 60" (and I don't hean fast) mind to syffer?

colinp386 said:
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Dale;[/font]

Welcome to the NW Area! :D

There are a few Coggers in the Boise area, perhaps one will pipe up.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/size]I forgot to see if you were a COG member, if you are you can checkout the member directory it's split up by State and those offering help and [/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]accommodation are listed.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]If you happen to want to swing by Seattle on your way north I hold typically hold a  beginning of season wrench session in March.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Colin[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ps I'm 50 next year too, but trying to ignore that little chestnut [/font] :'(
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [size=medium][/font]

Yes Welcome!

But yall are so far north that I get a nosebleed just looking at the map.  No wonder you ride so far south... it's like some sort of compensation ain't it? hehe  Truth is I'm just too wimpy to get that far north cuz the temp might drop below 70 and I would freeze to death.  ;)

If you get this far south and east again (Texas/Mexico way) give us a shout.