• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New to the Site

Mike D

Hoping to learn about my 2008 Neutron Connie. I’ve put 35,000 miles on it in 3 years and I always seem to be having front fork seal leaks. Some minor some major. Can’t seem to find anyone local who knows what to do with them. Had the seals replaced several times. Then bought new forks and rode about 8000 miles, now leaking again. Need help deciding what to do next.

Hey Mike, welcome! Where's home? It would be helpful to put your location in your profile so we know where "local" is - there are likely other members close by who might be able to assist you.

Sorry to hear about the recurring fork leaks, I had a similar issue on a Yamaha where I was replacing a fork seal on the same side every season, about 7-10K intervals. On the third replacement, I found a tiny scratch in the stanchion. I very carefully sanded and buffed that out and voila, not a single leak since.

Time for 20 questions:

- You mentioned you replaced the forks - does it seem to be leaking the same as it was on the older forks, or different (more/less)?
- Is it always the same fork, or are both sides leaking?
- When you replaced the forks, were new seals put in at that time?
- Are you running the factory front fender, which protects the lower fork tubes from debris?
- Are you riding in any way, or any roads that might be considered abnormal for this bike, i.e. lots and lots of gravel, frequent wheelies, giant potholes or speed bumps, etc.

Thanks for the info and I hope we can help you get to the bottom of this, lots of very knowledgeable folks on the forum.

Welcome to the group @Mike D!

Adding to @fastenova thoughts:
  1. Is it possible forks were over-filled with oil?
  2. Did you change the dust seals also when changing the oil seals?
  3. Ride in the winter or an area where there is salt on the roads?
I have seen all the above be contributing or direct factors to blown seals.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Alright, thanks for the replies 2andblue and fastenova. Home is North Olmsted Ohio. The leak on the new fork is on the same side however not nearly as bad as original problem which was dripping. New leak is just minor. When new forks were put on the seals were supposed to be replaced but during height of covid parts were scarce and seals may have been re-used. Yes, still using factory front fender. I live in northeast Ohio so potholes and abnormal road conditions are "normal" and during my long trip I had several unexpected detours on limestone and gravel roadways. I do ride in the winter months but not when there is salt on the roads and I am fairly good about cleaning. I did run into a large pothole on the highway on the final leg of my last weeklong trip while I was loaded up with gear. Now writing this stuff down Im starting to feel like this problem may just be normal due to the riding conditions.
Problem 2 is now a big clunk going over bigger bumps. Dealer said it was not head bearings. Any other thoughts?

Welcome Mike! When you say new forks, do you mean brand new or new to you? Were the bushings new or re-used?

2 quick checks, fairing attachments at front of triple tree, and front fender rivets to attach bracket.

Reactions: Bud