• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

new windsheild

gslothower

Training Wheels
I am about ready to order a cee baileys windsheild.The problem is do I get one to look over,or thru? My wife has complained about being hit with bugs so I want to get the correct hight. I am 5-8 inches tall.Any advice would be great.Thanks Glenn

You should be able to look over the top. I know some cruisers look though the windshield, but the correct hight is so you will be able to look about 2" above the windshield. That way if you get caught in the rain or ride after dark your vision will not be blurred by the water or lights.

Looking through is better for bugs and wind noise. Looking over is better for ventilation and visibility. Visibility is not too bad in dry weather. In wet weather generally people alread have a wet face shield on the helmet and then looking through a wet windshield can be a problem. Assuming you can keep your face shield dry and only had a wet windshield, I still find it easier to look through the wet face shield versus just wet windshield.-- I suppose if you could keep a nice coat of rainx on ther and the shield stayed fairly clear you could get my looking through. But I dont think the MFG's for our shields recommend that. On the other hand Goldwing riders look through all the time. And plenty of them ride in the rain. So how do they see. Cant be all that bad. Myself this is why I would like an adjustable wind shield. I am going to start custom hacking rifle shields following the instructions 2linby posted. My goal is manually adjustable rifle with a 15", 18" and 21" positions. Manually done some how. It wont be as fancy as on-the-fly electrical adj, but thats ok. I think as long as you can adjust for an afternoon or even in the morning for that day, then long multi day rides in changing conditions would be easily be doable if you setup for the day or the morning and then adj at lunch or emergencies. 2003 Concours, 57K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I told my wife to wear earplugs or get her own bike. Haven't heard a complaint since. She took it well. Once she quit worrying about it all the time, I think she stopped noticing it so much and is enjoying longer trips more now. At least I am ;-) Why she puts up w/me I'll never know.

I have the C Baily Ultra Tour. I think it is the tallest. We are the same height. In the highest position I can see over it. I usually ride with it about one half way up. I don't need ear plugs with this screen. Rick

Slybones, when you make your manual adjustable windscreen, please let us know. I think this is a great idea!!!! and I think you should pass on some tips to the rest of us or sell them at a reasonable cost ;) 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 18k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CMA #140229 CDA #0308

Well I have no idea how this will work. Ya all can help me hijack this thread and see how this sounds. Since the Rifle shield is straight with no lip at the top, I was thinking it would be pretty easy to have two pieces overlap. The idea will be to start with a 15" base shield. And have a 12" piece overlap. At the lower position the 12" piece completely overlaps the 15" piece at the top edge and you have a 15" Rifle. In the fully extended postion the 12" over laps the 15" 50%, giving an additional 6" of coverage. An alternate position would be 75% overlap with 3" of additional coverage giving my 15", 18" and 21" adj shield. I am thinking of the foam tape used at the base/shield location to act as a layer in between the shields to act as a buffer to prevent scratching from all the vibration it would get. The foam would be stuck to the bottom shield such that whether the outer piece is up or down the foam is down in the center of the shield and out of then main line of vision. Securing is a good question. The base to shield was some blacky nylon screws / nuts with neoprene backing. I am wondering if those would work. - I wonder if 50% is enough enough overlap to have any real strength. Probably depend on how its secured. - Will the foam tape and securing mechanism in the middle be too distracting and in the way. Or will we learn to just look over it. A week of riding to get used to or a complete PITA. - Will it just get scratched to ####. Too many questions. I thought I would start with a 15" shield and see if I can make one following 2linby's instructions. Then move on to a 21" to see how I like it. Assuming I can successfully make these, conduct long term experiment into the viability of the manually adjustable shield with this as a basic idea. Then just see how it goes and adapt from there. Might take a few tries so will see. Worst case I am out $75 of plastic after several tries and still have a 15", original 19" and 21" in the garage for backup. Idea's welcome. 2003 Concours, 57K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg