• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

06conrad

Road Bike
Hey all! I recently (10/21/2010) bought my first street bike. It is a barely used 2006 in that beautiful Blue! I have been tracking the Concours, ST1100 and FJR on Cycle trader for about a year now. This deal came up and with only 3,100ish miles on it, it was as close to a new bike as I could hope to find. The dealership had just listed it for $3800 and I managed to ride away with a helmet for just about that! I am a commuter of a 53 mile one way 3rd shift  :eek: (10pm to 6:30am) across the Dallas metroplex. I have made one trip and rain set in.. go figure!  :'( I promised my wife to sell the Bass boat ASAP to restock the cabinets!  My brother is a cruiser rider and a couple of years back I rented the 1400 Concours for a weekend and wore out northeast Texas with him. I love this group already and look forward to upgrades and a bit of "farkeling" in the future. I look  forward as well to meeting those of you in south central area. I have family in the Houston, Killeen and Hot Springs/Little Rock area and look forward to some economy trips soon. I chose 06ConRad because there is already a "connie" in my past and my wife would prefer that I spend my "extra" quality time with a guy friend!!  ;)  Doug.. Mansfield Texas

Doug

A Hearty Welcome to COG and your first road scoot!

Good luck in selling the Bass boat to keep "she who must be obeyed" happy  ;D

For sure it sounds like you got a good price on the 06.
Make sure you take a look at the Cogmos Library where you will find past editions of the Group magazine, past newsletters and other goodies like Chalkdust our Tech Guide.

Take a look at the fender extender and fairing extension for commuting in the rain

Cheers

Colin in Sunny Seattle  8)

Welcome Doug and congrats on the new bike. The blue is a very nice color and is only slightly slower than the 2003 Candy Cardinal Red.  :D

Thank's all for the welcome!
Colin, I see your either not married or divorced!!! LOL. It's "she who must be coerced into obeyance" Great direction toward my first "farkling" I will heed your advice. Do the extensions utitize where the "foot cooler" is on my bike? I look forward to some serious reading in the next few months for sure. Thanks for your guidance on that as well.

Norm, actually he is red underneath.. I am just running him in "stealth mode blue" so the M/C officer can go ahead and get you stopped first as a diversionary tactic!

Thanks Bob! It took a great deal to get past the "financial manager": aka "she who must be obeyed"... I hope I can serve him well and keep him around a long time... (at least until the 1400's get to that magical "great deal" place)

Doug,

We are brothers -  I too just bought a 2006 Connie, in that 'pretty dog-gone fast' blue.  And yeah, she's fast!
You got a waaaaaay better deal than I did.  I was upwards of $5,000 for mine - and it had 27,000 miles on it!
Either way, they are great bikes.

If you get up to Michigan, gimme a holler, and I can show you some really nice twisties to put her through the paces.

Dan

Welcome aboard Doug.Thats rare, to find a C-10 with that low of mileage.That's a great color too.I'm a second shifter ,so when i get off work at midnight the roads are empty and fast. Enjoy.

Hi Doug and Welcome,
Sorry for the slow welcome but we were all out riding through the dead leaves and fall colors up in Arkansas last weekend.  Sorry if you missed out.  I am your area Director and Butch Youngblood is the DFW Assistant Area Director.  If you need anything let us know.  Lots of info/newsletters/contact info and stuff on the club site.

doug said:
Thank's all for the welcome!
Colin, I see your either not married or divorced!!! LOL. It's "she who must be coerced into obeyance" Great direction toward my first "farkling" I will heed your advice. Do the extensions utitize where the "foot cooler" is on my bike? I look forward to some serious reading in the next few months for sure. Thanks for your guidance on that as well.

As it happens SWMBO aka The CFO, and my wife, is a Connie Rider too, she has a 2001 :)
oh and it's all her fault LoL  :p

[/quote]

As it happens SWMBO aka The CFO, and my wife, is a Connie Rider too, she has a 2001 :)
oh and it's all her fault LoL  :p
[/quote]

Obviously I DO need to heed your advice!!

smithr said:
Hi Doug and Welcome,
Sorry for the slow welcome but we were all out riding through the dead leaves and fall colors up in Arkansas last weekend.  Sorry if you missed out.  I am your area Director and Butch Youngblood is the DFW Assistant Area Director.  If you need anything let us know.  Lots of info/newsletters/contact info and stuff on the club site.

Thanks Smithr.. I was hoping to run up to Ark T-giving but I hear single didget weather is forcasted :( My Mom and brother are there in Hot Springs and Little Rock and my brother rides as well. Sorry I missed it! You both will be hearing from me to ride and get advice! Glad to be in your group!

Thanks Daren! I thought it was too good of a deal to pass up! I really like the off hours as well. I have some morning traffic at 6:30 but it is mostly going the other way! zooom-zooom.. ;D

dano44 said:
Doug,

We are brothers -  I too just bought a 2006 Connie, in that 'pretty dog-gone fast' blue.  And yeah, she's fast!
You got a waaaaaay better deal than I did.  I was upwards of $5,000 for mine - and it had 27,000 miles on it!
Either way, they are great bikes.

If you get up to Michigan, gimme a holler, and I can show you some really nice twisties to put her through the paces.

Dan

Yea!! Blue Brothers at that. Boy a trip up there would build me a map quick like!

Now for what has kept me away! I have ridden in to work nearly every day and it has really been great! I went from 3000 to 5300 miles now so experience is quickly building. Last Saturday I got caught up in some construction and had 3 cars eat up my stopping allowance. I overused the rear brake and slid in to a near stop but ended up crooked once the front got me hauled down and I had a 5 mile an hour right lowside dump. I shouldered the ground but bounced right up and managed to not hit any one and kept myself from getting hit  :) ...  :( ...  ConRad took battle scars on the fairing/turn signal at the right mirror, right mirror rash, lower fairing scrape and a right bag scrape. I believe i will be able to do some minor repair to the cosmetics and there was no other damage! So this was a freeway accident and I won't be able to use it as a "dropped connie award" howeeeeeever... I saw my wife wife heading out this morning as I was heading in on our street and u-turned to chat so we didn't totally "pass in the dark"  that went nice till a neighbor came up behind and I let her go and just rolled backwards to the side a bit to give him room. I had stopped on the way home and filled up and as I rolled bak i got on the low side of our rural road and did the slowly lean to the left death spiral. In what seemed like 3 minutes the bike finally had his way with me and I set him ever so gently on his left side with only the peg and bag touching. I straightened the slightly realigned rubber on the foot peg from the warning knob pushing it up and i have 3 asphalt dings in the bag. Amazingly after deep inspection neither of my pegs have suffered any cracking at all! I guess that makes me an official Connie dropper!

It's great to be a part of the group and look forward to years of entertainment.. hope ConRad feels the same way!! I know I have some really irritated angels watching over us!

doug

Doug, there is a member riding a C14 in Mansfield I think.  Or at least he was a member.  I will help you get in touch if you want.

Hey Bob! Thanks, That would be great. My first ride after getting my license was a rented C14! I learned on that one don't let them lean. Stopped at pumps to let my brother fill up before our outing and trapped my knee between the tank and the pole that keeps you from running into the pumps! That lesson and weekend rental cost a thousand dolars once all was said and done!  :-[

Doug I was wrong about the town that guy lives in.  Good news there is about 30 COG members in the DFW area.  If we can get some of them, including you, to set up some local rides you can meet a few.  Other then that you may have to wait for spring and try and make it to Big Bend or the hill country near Kerville assuming those recurring rides happen again this next year.

One other Concours inspired resource for your area is this site.  I have not stopped by in a while so not sure the status there.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/tcat22/

Also I try to make it to many of the pie runs hosted by this site.  I even have them on the COG calendar.
http://twtex.com/

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52304

Thank's Bob! Perhaps we should start a splinter group under your watch. I saw the pie run listing earlier and there are a couple I would like to make. One for sure is the Edom one. My brother in law lives about 6 miles up the road from there. He recently came across an old Triumph chopper basket case he has running now in Rat fashion and I could probably get him out as well. He is a mechanical genius and I will definately be enlisting his help (along with all the helpful people here) come time for deeper work on ConRad. He owned a boat shop and was chief mechanic for a national champion outboard drag team. He has rebuilt my motorhome, mom's pathfinder, tweeked out our 250k mile toyo Corolla, and my bass boat. Great guy to have on hand!