• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Nice Tire Find

texson

Mini Bike
Not for everyone, but for people like me - folks that can't seem to keep a back tire on the bike.  I go through tires like no ones business - like every 5-8k miles.  Part of this is due to the fact that I DO buy the cheapest tires - around $80-$90 or so for the rear, and most of the time, Shinko's.  I buy the cheapest tires for that reason - I go through them fast enough, and paying twice as much for a tire does not give you twice the mileage - something I learned a long time ago.

So, one day, while at the tire place, the owner suggested I go with a harder rubber option and sold me on a Kenda, which is about the same price as the Shinko, but a much better looking tire with a hell of a lot more tread.  Really didn't know what to expect from it, but was willing to give it a try and I am glad I did.  The tire has been amazing.  The picture below was taken yesterday, which puts it at about the 3 month mark, or, 6-7k miles, and it still looks great, whereas, at about this time, my back tire would ordinarily look like a car tire - flat.  No curve to it, as PBFoot can tell you (guy rides my a** about my tire habits).

After 3 months of daily riding, this tire still looks great and I'm guessing I have another 3 months or so left on it.  But the biggest surprise with this tire is the chicken strip.  Not much of one there, which is the surprise.  This being a harder rubber tire, I am way less aggressive in the turns now, or so I thought, but obviously not as much as what I imagined.  And if I am hitting those turns that hard, all I can say is - this tire is fantastic.  I have never NOT had confidence in this tire during a hard, fast turn.  One time, recently, I was in a fast turn at a respectable lean when I went a little wide and crossed the dividing line into the outer lane and I felt slippage when I ran over a reflector.  But aside from that, this tire sticks to the road perfectly fine.

So, if you put serious mileage on your machine and, like me, do not have a big tire budget, you may want to consider one of these.

Just thought I'd let ya'all know.

Ride safe.

20160709_210233_zpscotyzlso.jpg

20160709_210244_zpski4leehb.jpg

cant tell you much about how many miles it will go, but i put a car tire on mt c10, then only rode it maybe 300 miles if that so far in the last  2 years...just no time to ride right now  :??:

HSVScott said:
Where is your "tire place"...?

Auto mechanic shop in a little hayseed town.  The owner is a hard core biker so he stocks bike tires.  Nice guy.  Certainly knew what he was talking about.

How is the grip of the tire in the rain? I don't joy ride when it's wet, but sometimes you have to get groceries when it's nasty out.

It's been neat seeing Kendra get into the MC/car world (or did they start there?).

Years ago mountain biking, me and my riding bud went through a few brands of tires looking for "the one". That turned out to be Kenda. NOTHING stuck like Kendas, wet or dry, for mountain biking - on fast dry(or wet/muddy) downhills, crawling over slickrock, or even wet rock (which is like ice).

Glad to see they translated all that to road vehicles.

Sounds like it is a Kenda Kruze... they are a great touring tire, and have a very deep tread, and accordingly long life!
Charlie