• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NO TRANSPONDER MESSAGE

keithg

Moped
yesterday my NO TRANSPONDER message came on after 3 miles,I turned the key off and on ,everything OK then it came on 3 miles later. I turned the key off and on and no problems in the next 50 miles.  I keep the FOB in the tank bag except when I leave the bike.
Did I enter a TIME WARP or what?

Something was probably blocking the fob's signal. I know I've heard of this before with folks that put the fob in the glove box on the 08-09 C14. Could also be a battery going bad or even a fob going bad.

Did your fob happen to be close to a cell phone?  Mine has done that before when there was interference from my phone.  I even got it the other day in my garage from having my laptop sitting on the tank while I was making some map changes on my PCV.

so true...accidently in the same pocket with cellphone

perhaps that's the reason for the pop up msg

By turning the engine off and back on you could have had a No start with no transponder and away from home.

Rash

Rash said:
By turning the engine off and back on you could have had a No start with no transponder and away from home.

Rash

Yes, Yes. If this happens, do not turn the key off until your where it needs to be, if you lose a fob or think it may be bad. Once off, it will not turn back on unless it recognizes the fob. Although, it should still work in RFID mode if it just the battery. I shut off the bike with the kill switch normally anyway. So not turning off the key might be easier for me in this situation.

Orange said:
Opsss...I got the msg three times already

Yikes, but my bike is only 3mth old
I had to replace the batteries in both my FOBS about 3 months after I got my bike. Your bike maybe a 2011 but look at the date when it was made, probably A good idea to carry an extra battery mine is a 2025 only a couple of dollars.

I have always kept the fob in tank bag and phone in top pocket on bag so I can see the phone for calls and music,

I guess this is not a KIPASS problem, because I hear that a blocked signal is not a KIPASS problem. It's your problem for blocking the signal in some way. Not possibly a design problem in anyway!  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
I guess this is not a KIPASS problem, because I hear that a blocked signal is not a KIPASS problem. It's your problem for blocking the signal in some way. Not possibly a design problem in anyway!  :))

In Kawasaki's defense my wife's Mazda CX-9 is the exact same way.  If the FOB is sitting by my cell phone I am not able to start it and it gives me a red light (similar to the no transponder message) and beeps like the FOB isn't within range.

Nothing against technology but how would someone know NOT to have the FOB near a cell phone?
And I have been doing this since i got the bike in March.
This happens when the bike is running NOT when trying to start it.

I think ...It would be a good habit not to keep it together with cell phone

I'm just worried if the engine shuts while riding  :-X

Orange said:
I think ...It would be a good habit not to keep it together with cell phone

I'm just worried if the engine shuts while riding  :-X

Don't worry, it won't do that. Worst case if you lose the fob after starting you won't be able to restart the bike after shutting it off, but the bike won't quit on you. That would be a serious safety issue if the fob fell out of your pocket.

Aren't we talking about 2 different situations here. One is NO TRANSPONDER message and the other is TRANSPONDER BATTERY LOW message, NO TRANSPONDER means just that, no transponder detected, the LOW BATTERY message means it detected the transponder but the transponder battery is low.

Phil said:
Nothing against technology but how would someone know NOT to have the FOB near a cell phone?

It sorta says so in the owners manual? 

NOTICE
Do not expose the FOB to excessively
high temperature or more
humid place.
Do not put any magnetic materials
with the FOB on the same key
ring.
Do not put the FOB close to the
other electric appliance (TV, Audio
system, Personal Computer,
etc) or medical appliance.
Do not submerge FOB in water.
Do not disassemble the FOB except
of replacing the battery.
Do not drop the FOB or apply
shocks to it.
If FOB is lost, re-registry at
dealer is securely required to
prevent the possibility of theft.
If all FOB are lost, an authorized
Kawasaki dealer will have to replace
the ECU, and re-register
the new FOB.

And I bet y'all follow all that to the letter too!  It might be quicker to list where you can use it!  :))

S Smith said:
Phil said:

It sorta says so in the owners manual? 

NOTICE
Do not expose the FOB to excessively
high temperature or more
humid place.
Do not put any magnetic materials
with the FOB on the same key
ring.
Do not put the FOB close to the
other electric appliance (TV, Audio
system, Personal Computer,
etc) or medical appliance.