• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Noise reducing helmet?

Wineguy

Moped
I've got a relatively inexpensive helmet which is serving me well, but was curious about whether there are helmets that do a better job reducing noise. (This one's pretty noisy at highway speeds) Any thoughts?

Yes. Like oil, tars (tyres, tires), seats, and windscreens, EVERYBODY has an opinion. Andthey are all different. Rule of thumb: The more you spend, the quieter the helmet. Regardless, earplugs will always be necessary. Personally I have always preferred Shoei RF-series helmets. They fit me, are comfy, are quiet with the shield locked in place, and to me look good. Their colors seem to match stock bike colors pretty close. It used to be just Shoei, Arai and Bell, but there are many on the market. Sometimes it's not the lid's fault about the noise, but rather windscreen height. Essentialy, if you have "clean air" from the collar up, it will be quiet with a decent helmet on. Best Bet: Buy a box of earplugs.

Let's see, $400. dollar helmet + $.15 ear plugs = quiet ride. $40 dollar helmet + $.15 ear plugs = quiet ride. Buy a quality helmet that fits, ( different manufactures have different shapes in the same sizes so go to a dealer and try them on until one fits right.) then buy good ear plugs, again different styles fit different ears, but they are cheap enough to experiment with. Or get some good sound reducing ear buds ($20 - $200) and some good music to ride with. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

The windshield makes a HUGE difference. When I run my 19" Riffle and Shoei RF1000, plus custom fit ear plugs, I can hear my GPS and GMRS radio at highway speeds no problem. Put the shorty windshield (just barely above the Riffle base) on for the summer with all the above and major wind noise. The fairing has a funny way of funneling all that air right to my helmet. I need to attach a Boostaroo to my GPS to hear it at highway speeds. Helmets - my RF1000 seems to be quieter and more stable than my HJC but I haven't had the RF1000 on with the shorty shield yet. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

I can say that my Nolan N102E is quieter than my HJC full face was. Funny considering that people say that modular (flip face) helmets are noisier than full face. As people here have said, it depends on the fit and the quality as well as the environment the helmet is in. The more wind hitting the helmet, the noisier it will be. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

What I've read on this subject is what's been stated here. One man's peaceful sanctuary is another man's wind tunnel. Which helmet is the best one in particular for you could only be found by taking each helmet out onto the highway I think, unless your local stealer installs a wind tunnel. Earplugs will save your hearing for the long term, which is a proven fact. There are a lot of seasoned riders out there with permanent hearing loss from wind noise and those handful that have related their experiences with it to me have unanimously and strongly recommended ear protection in addition to the helmet. As for which are the best earplugs, that's a whole 'nother thread. :)

Thanks for the great input - I had not considered the windshield factor at all in my question. I think I need to go out on the highway and try to nail down where the tumble zone is hitting me - if at all. Right now, I'd say it's just above my head ('cause in the rain I need to stretch up 6 to 8 inches to get the wind to clear off my visor) but I'll have to go out and be very deliberate about trying to feel where it is. I've got the stock windshield. You're also really getting me thinking about ear protection for those out-of-town rides too.

I can say that my Nolan N102E is quieter than my HJC full face was. Funny considering that people say that modular (flip face) helmets are noisier than full face. As people here have said, it depends on the fit and the quality as well as the environment the helmet is in.
Last time I looked a Helmets I was pulling away the removeable inside linning and looking at the polystyrene ( or whatever its made from ) inner core that protects whats left of our brains. On the full face helments it came all the way down into ear/cheek area. On the flip face helmets it stopped short of there. Just the outer shell with some open cell foam cheek pads, etc. But no core material in the area where the ear is. I assume to allow for the flip mechanism's. -- That was my guess as to why most the time the Flip Face are noisier than the Full Face. I agree with the above, just throwing out an observation I made on the 2-3 brands I looked at, at the one store. 2003 Concours, 51K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

.....and to be sure, make sure you are using Quiet Oil in the engine and Summer Air in the tars. Geez, sometimes I crack myself up. :)

Ive found that the noise is different on the different bikes i ride on my Connie with the taller shield it made a big diff in noise levels and on my 30 yo XS11 with the Big vetter it is super quiet. ihave a Shoei,and a Shark helmet i wear eraplug with both so far so good. but like said before take the time to get a good fit.