• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Not another tire thread!

I need new tires on my '09 ABS Concours. What should I get?

• Michelin Pilot Road 2ct

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Pirelli Angel ST

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
L

locksmith

My local dealer (Burnaby Kawasaki) is going to make me a pretty decent deal on new tires.  I wouldn't need them if gregg hadn't burst my bubble, but I digress.

I'm more of a tour rider than a sport.  I'm also frugal (read cheap) so I'd like a tire that is going to last me.

I have 15,000 km on my OEM tires.

What should I buy?

After reading your post as to your specific uses for tires. Normally I would say to go with the PR2's, because they will probably last a little longer than the Angels. I can say that I've used both. But I obviously had something wrong with my PR2's. But leaving my experience out of it. I still have heard way too many bad stories of how the PR2's stepped out too easy, or had some other defect that made some of them very questionable. I truly belive that Michelin has a quality problem with the PR2's that make them inconsistent. Mine I truly think was one of them (well at least the rear).
But I still think that the odds of getting a bad set of PR2's, are far less than getting a good set. I just personally wouldn't want to chance it myself. And up to this point, there seems to be no input from Michelin on the issues.
As far as the Angels go. They won't wear quite as long as the PR2's. But they do everything (other than wear) as good or better than the PR2. I have not heard of  anybody really expressing any trouble with the Angels (myself included). So because the Angels has so far proven to be excellent tires, and the PR2's seem to be good tires for some, but questionable for others. I recommend the Angels. Even though the PR2's might wear a little better.
This is of course just my opinion. But this is based more on the input from the other users from other threads. I made this recommendation on other owners experiences and tried to leave mine out of it when I referred to the PR2's being questionable!

While my experience with the Pr2s wasn't bad really, they did want to slide a little.  This could be that my suspension was not set up properly at that point, or the road conditions weren't really condusive to maximum grip.  I don't know really.  I kept them on until worn out since I don't live where there are curves and I was out riding in Arkansas when I noticed the sliding.  As stated, I don't really know what the cause(s) were and it was manageable at any rate.  I have also been using the Angels.  So far, other than needing to dismount/remount the rear tire (slow leak somewhere), I like this tire.  I haven't worn out a set yet so I can not really comment on longevity. 

Given your particular needs as relayed in your post, I would still have to say Pr2s.  They did last quite a while.

Being that you're a frugal tour rider, I believe the PR2's would be an excellent choice for you.
I stretched my OEM's on my 2008 C14 to 7000 Km and have been using PR2's ever since with no issues.
By the sound of things, you may be able to squeeze 25 to 30,000 Km's out of those suckers..... ;D