• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

(NY) long island meet & greet

long island rider

Crotch Rocket
OK folks, just added to the calendar. Come on out and join us for a long island meet and greet. Going to be at the Jon Thomas inn, brightwaters. (near bayshore) hope to see you there. If weather does not cooperate, come out in the cage. If weather cooperates, possible ride to follow. Want to talk about possible events for next season. Hope to see you there!!  :beerchug:

I didn't see the date in any post yet, so I found this:

Forum Home Help COG
Join COG
View/Edit Member Info
Event Calendar <-------Click Here

Northeast Area[V] < Select a Chapter

(calendar for Northeast shows)

Click "next" or select December

LI M&G shows for Saturday, December 7

Click LI M&G in calendar box for 12/7

Click Member Registration to reserve a spot.

My apologies for not attending because I work nights & weekends, plus the holiday rush will be on.  Best Wishes to all!

Just an update, spoke to the owner of the Jon thomas inne today. made contact through a friend i had no idea knew him!! nice when things work out. said hes going to take good care of us. the food is great there and from the logistics, should be a good middle ground for all. hope to have a good crowd. going to send out a reminder email to fellow long islanders (including queens and Brooklyn due to the fact it is geographically long island) two weeks before the event. cheers, roger.  :beerchug:

Hoping the weather warms up. It's going down into the 20's next week! I rode to / from work today in the 30's but the 20's? That may keep me away.

KevinRLI said:
Hoping the weather warms up. It's going down into the 20's next week! I rode to / from work today in the 30's but the 20's? That may keep me away.

You can always come in the car. I've been riding to work everyday still, so far!! Would like to get as many long islanders to this meet and greet as possible so I can get a better feel of what people in the area would like to do for rides and meet and greets. Want to discuss possible rides and such for the coming spring and summer riding seasons. We have a fairly large group in the area and feel all we need is a little organization. Would also like to see if members are willing to travel, as a group, to other meet and greets in the northeast. This I feel will really unite the area and allow members to see how dynamic COG really is.  :beerchug:

Go get 'em Roger! Great to have you and Susan aboard COG, and especially instigating activities.

I would suggest anyone that has the ability to stop by and meet Roger and Susan in person- great folks. Chris Smith too if he happens to make this event. We have been fortunate to have met these folks from L.I. and attended a few events both on the island as well as on the other side in CT and RI. Of course that is in addition to others like Terry, Marc and quite a few in the greater NYC area.

But whatever you do, don't fall for the old 'The newest guy buys lunch for everyone' ploy: the rule really is that the hosts buy for everyone if any newbie shows up.  :rotflmao:

Have a great time.

Brian

Roger M. said:
You can always come in the car. I've been riding to work everyday still, so far!! Would like to get as many long islanders to this meet and greet as possible so I can get a better feel of what people in the area would like to do for rides and meet and greets. Want to discuss possible rides and such for the coming spring and summer riding seasons. We have a fairly large group in the area and feel all we need is a little organization. Would also like to see if members are willing to travel, as a group, to other meet and greets in the northeast. This I feel will really unite the area and allow members to see how dynamic COG really is.  :beerchug:

BDF said:
Go get 'em Roger! Great to have you and Susan aboard COG, and especially instigating activities.

I would suggest anyone that has the ability to stop by and meet Roger and Susan in person- great folks. Chris Smith too if he happens to make this event. We have been fortunate to have met these folks from L.I. and attended a few events both on the island as well as on the other side in CT and RI. Of course that is in addition to others like Terry, Marc and quite a few in the greater NYC area.

But whatever you do, don't fall for the old 'The newest guy buys lunch for everyone' ploy: the rule really is that the hosts buy for everyone if any newbie shows up.  :rotflmao:

Have a great time.

Brian

Roger M. said:

Hey?!?! I don't remember getting my lunch paid for when I showed up at my first meet and greet in RHODE ISLAND!!!  :rotflmao: thanks for the kind words and endorsement, much appreciated.  :great:

I think you are confusing the Long Island and Rhode Island 'rules of lunch purchase'. In Rhode Island, the new guy pays, and that would have been you. In Long Island, the organizer pays and again that will be you.

:-\ :D

By the way, it seems Chris has already put his order in. Please pass this along to the waitstaff should Chris be.... indisposed when that person arrives to take everyone's order.

[inside joke: We (OK, I) left Chris during a group ride while he was in the bathroom. He left his bike at a fuel pump and I just did not see it when we left. It is all in good humor and Chris took it fantastically well. And we actually caught up later on the same ride.... by mistake]

Brian

Roger M. said:
Hey?!?! I don't remember getting my lunch paid for when I showed up at my first meet and greet in RHODE ISLAND!!!  :rotflmao: thanks for the kind words and endorsement, much appreciated.  :great:

Ocean said:
Cheeseburger and fries will do quite nicely thank you!.........Chris

Good choice, Great burgers at Jon Thomas!!

BDF said:
I think you are confusing the Long Island and Rhode Island 'rules of lunch purchase'. In Rhode Island, the new guy pays, and that would have been you. In Long Island, the organizer pays and again that will be you.

:-\ :D

By the way, it seems Chris has already put his order in. Please pass this along to the waitstaff should Chris be.... indisposed when that person arrives to take everyone's order.

[inside joke: We (OK, I) left Chris during a group ride while he was in the bathroom. He left his bike at a fuel pump and I just did not see it when we left. It is all in good humor and Chris took it fantastically well. And we actually caught up later on the same ride.... by mistake]

Brian

Roger M. said:

:-[ :truce: :-X I can see I'm not going to win this one!!!  :D

The forecast is moving from 30's F and 80% chance of precipitation to 40's F and 20% chance of precipitation. Sure I went outside, held up my fob and said the weather incantation but who knew it would work from so far away? It is looking a lot better for me making the trip. Going around by the way so I hope NYC isn't a clot of vehicles in a knot like some gigantic form of Legos.

Brian

Roger M. said:
Time to start watching the weather forecast for saturday. Hope we can get a ride in after lunch.  :motonoises:

BDF said:
The forecast is moving from 30's F and 80% chance of precipitation to 40's F and 20% chance of precipitation. Sure I went outside, held up my fob and said the weather incantation but who knew it would work from so far away? It is looking a lot better for me making the trip. Going around by the way so I hope NYC isn't a clot of vehicles in a knot like some gigantic form of Legos.

Brian

Roger M. said:
Time to start watching the weather forecast for saturday. Hope we can get a ride in after lunch.  :motonoises:

Thats great news brian!!  :great: Hope the ride goes smooth for ya.  :beerchug:

Thanks- me too on the weather. Latest forecast has 60% chance of perspiration and is currently calling for snow, not rain. :-( 

But assuming I am still going and still expect to go through NYC, how is the traffic likely to be on I-95, across the Throgs Neck bridge and along to the southern parkway on Sat. morning? If anything that sounds like 'bad', is there a better way around / through the city, maybe like down I-678 or something? Or will that just punch me deeper into NYC traffic?

Brian

Roger M. said:

BDF said:
Thanks- me too on the weather. Latest forecast has 60% chance of perspiration and is currently calling for snow, not rain. :-( 

But assuming I am still going and still expect to go through NYC, how is the traffic likely to be on I-95, across the Throgs Neck bridge and along to the southern parkway on Sat. morning? If anything that sounds like 'bad', is there a better way around / through the city, maybe like down I-678 or something? Or will that just punch me deeper into NYC traffic?

Brian

Roger M. said:

The traffic should be ok saturday morning through those areas. The bridge work on the throgs neck was completed as of last weekend when we were returning from pa. Good luck with the weather.  :beerchug:

Ok folks, everyone should be informed via e-mail but going to post here for anyone not up to date. Last night/this morning at 3am, the Jon Thomas inne had a fire.  :mad: We have moved the venue to the South Bay Diner in Lindenhurst. The address is, 185 Sunrise Highway, Lindenhurst, N.Y. 11757. Phone number is, (631)-884-0700. The diner is approximately 10 minutes west of the Jon Thomas inne. anyone familiar with the area, the diner is across the street from the babylon town hall. I wonder how many times a meet & greet location had to be changed due to fire? Spoke to the owner earlier and he told me they are re-building. I'll plan another meet & greet at their location in the spring.

Wow!  I think that's a first!  Was thinking of maybe coming out there but got invited to the Jet game on Sunday.  Now I have to get all my weekend stuff done on Saturday.  Maybe they might even win! :))

Have fun storming the castle!

Terrynyc said:
Wow!  I think that's a first!  Was thinking of maybe coming out there but got invited to the Jet game on Sunday.  Now I have to get all my weekend stuff done on Saturday.  Maybe they might even win! :))

We'll miss ya Terry. Have fun at the game and we will catch up with you next saturday.  :beerchug:

Some of the best movie quotes of all time-

"Sonny, true love is the greatest thing, in the world-except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe."
-Miracle Max

:rotflmao:

Brian

Terrynyc said:
<snip>

It is not looking good for riding there tomorrow; the current forecast is 1 to 3 inches of snow / ice pellets overnight with light snow tomorrow morning.

I still plan on going just going to have to take a car. :-( 

Good thing I do not believe in luck Roger 'cause your first M&G is starting off with a fire at the planned venue and 3" snow overnight before the event. If I see even one locust tomorrow I don't think I will be able to chance it....  :rotflmao:

Looking forward to seeing you folks again!

Brian

BDF said:
It is not looking good for riding there tomorrow; the current forecast is 1 to 3 inches of snow / ice pellets overnight with light snow tomorrow morning.

I still plan on going just going to have to take a car. :-( 

Good thing I do not believe in luck Roger 'cause your first M&G is starting off with a fire at the planned venue and 3" snow overnight before the event. If I see even one locust tomorrow I don't think I will be able to chance it....  :rotflmao:

Looking forward to seeing you folks again!

Brian

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: glad you're still planning on coming!! Calling for morning rain here & in the 40's.  :beerchug:

BDF said:
Some of the best movie quotes of all time-

"Sonny, true love is the greatest thing, in the world-except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe."
-Miracle Max

:rotflmao:

Brian

"My name is Inigo Montoya....you killed my father....prepare to die!"

"INCONCEIVABLE!!!!"
"I do not think that means what you think it means...."

Any movie with Andre the Giant in it is a classic!

Just punched this info. into two (2) different Garmins and neither one would accept just 'Sunrise' highway; it wanted me to choose between E Sunrise and W Sunrise. So I looked in Points Of Interest and there it was- on E Sunrise Hwy. For those who are using Garmin GPS's to find the place, that seems to be what it needs, or at least mine did.

Brian

Roger M. said:
Ok folks, everyone should be informed via e-mail but going to post here for anyone not up to date. Last night/this morning at 3am, the Jon Thomas inne had a fire.  :mad: We have moved the venue to the South Bay Diner in Lindenhurst. The address is, 185 Sunrise Highway, Lindenhurst, N.Y. 11757. Phone number is, (631)-884-0700. The diner is approximately 10 minutes west of the Jon Thomas inne. anyone familiar with the area, the diner is across the street from the babylon town hall. I wonder how many times a meet & greet location had to be changed due to fire? Spoke to the owner earlier and he told me they are re-building. I'll plan another meet & greet at their location in the spring.

Should be running SpotWalla tomorrow and the link is:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=864252a270f8dcd73

Brian

BDF said:
Just punched this info. into two (2) different Garmins and neither one would accept just 'Sunrise' highway; it wanted me to choose between E Sunrise and W Sunrise. So I looked in Points Of Interest and there it was- on E Sunrise Hwy. For those who are using Garmin GPS's to find the place, that seems to be what it needs, or at least mine did.

Brian

Roger M. said:

Yeah, sometimes my garmin does the same thing, some addresses on sunrise highway have the designation of east & west and some do not.  :-[ we'll be following you on spot walla too.  :great:

Going to head out in a few minutes and will take [oh, the shame!] the car. Everything including the roads is soaking wet and the temp. is hovering right around 34 F. Probably not a problem but not going to chance it. See you folks in a few hours if all goes well.

Brian

I'm going to miss this one, too.  I'll be working 12 hour days until x-mas.
Have to catch up on my z's and leave the zg's to others.
This will apply to the bike show also, and just after I heard they're going to have a wheelie-simulator to tempt us mild-mannered types.

Maybe see you-all in January or spring or so.

Tour1 said:
I'm going to miss this one, too.  I'll be working 12 hour days until x-mas.
Have to catch up on my z's and leave the zg's to others.
This will apply to the bike show also, and just after I heard they're going to have a wheelie-simulator to tempt us mild-mannered types.

Maybe see you-all in January or spring or so.

Ok James, catch up on your sleep and we'll see you next time.  :great:

Just a quick note to say it was really nice to see so many local riders. I look forward to a very busy 2014 season :)

Just want to thank everyone for coming out,we had a great time. Excellent group of people i must say!!  :) I agree with kevin, nice to meet so many local riders as well & we're looking forward to a busy 2014 also!!  :motonoises: A special thank you to brian coming all the way from rhode island, braving the Bronx and (GASP) the car!! we had a total of 10 people come out, 4 on bikes. Disclaimer; i'm including our bike but only needed to ride 1/4 mile  :rotflmao: Given the time of year, very happy with the turn out. Going to post pictures after dinner. Thanks again everyone!! :beerchug:

It was good meeting everyone at the M & G this afternoon. Thanks for organizing this Roger and Susan! Havn't been that far east on the Island in, well, decades. I grew up in W. Hempstead. 
Looking forward to doing some riding with you all in 2014.
Take care everybody!

Thanks Roger and Susan for putting this on- had a great time. Good to see so many people show up. Sorry I was late but it took longer than I thought it would at a stop along the way in Malverne (sp?) and the trip from there to the restaurant took a lot longer than I or the GPS thought too.

Now as to the SpotWalla thing- the data is there now but again, I left the setup to Kirby and he missed..... again! It seems he set up a new page for the new SPOT but failed to copy the URL to SpotWalla so no data was being transferred. But I am sure it will work next time (uh huh) and now I think I can write directions on how to set one up.... maybe.

Brian

BDF said:
Probably something I miss- set in SpotWalla.... :-(

Brian

Roger M. said:
Sorry for the "states maps" do not know how they got in there.  :-[ :-[ :-[

LOL, nope, it's on me. I haven't got this whole photobucket thingy down yet but I'm working on it. When I posted the link to the pictures, it uploaded my "states map" from my signature line. It was late and I Christmas decorating on the brain!!  :rotflmao:

And a little bit from your signature line too.... Say, Photobucket IS like SpotWalla!  :rotflmao:

Brian

Roger M. said:
Ahhhhhh........there ya go, successfully removed the states maps from the photobucket link.  :great:

Thanks Roger and Susan for organizing this gathering.......it was especially nice that the diner didn't catch fire before we got to eat...........somehow the strange guy from Rhode Island got through NYC security and terrorised us poor Long Islanders, but the cat didn't die!.........it was impressive (and gave me hope!) to learn how many Long Island riders were there, some of which do serious nationwide touring.........looks like a fun nucleus of LI riders to ride with........icy/snow mix predicted for the next few days......."into the maelstrom of winter we go".....YUCK!.....Chris

BDF said:
And a little bit from your signature line too.... Say, Photobucket IS like SpotWalla!  :rotflmao:

Brian

Roger M. said:
Ahhhhhh........there ya go, successfully removed the states maps from the photobucket link.  :great:

LOL!!  :rotflmao: yup, & like your spotwalla, my states map is back in my signature line.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ocean said:
Thanks Roger and Susan for organizing this gathering.......it was especially nice that the diner didn't catch fire before we got to eat...........somehow the strange guy from Rhode Island got through NYC security and terrorised us poor Long Islanders, but the cat didn't die!.........it was impressive (and gave me hope!) to learn how many Long Island riders were there, some of which do serious nationwide touring.........looks like a fun nucleus of LI riders to ride with........icy/snow mix predicted for the next few days......."into the maelstrom of winter we go".....YUCK!.....Chris

I agree with you I was impressed as well and I'm anticipating a very busy riding calendar for 2014!!  :motonoises:

So, I was going through the photos and sign in sheet & now I know everyones name. Figure i'd post a link so everyone can place a face with a name the next time we meet.  :beerchug: <iframe src="http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/roger631/story/66709/embed" width="650" height="400" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>