• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

OEM Windscreen Cut-Down Pattern?

spacesuit6

Training Wheels
Hey -- I have an extra stock windscreen that I want to cut down. I ride a lot in the heat, and am interested in getting more upper-body airflow. I am clear on the how-to's, but am wondering if anyone has any patterns or cut line advice? I thought at one point someone on here had some different windscreen cut patterns, but I can't find them anywhere. Thanks in advance, Eric

I think that he will cut down your windshield for $40, he has a pattern but I dont think he will send it to you. I made a shorty for my Connie - paid $10 for a 18x24" sheet of Lexan and used my OEM as template for holes for mounting screws, made preliminary cut so I could mount the shorty, then just eyeballed rest of cuts. It aint perfect but it does make a difference in the heat. C K Roach Jr COG#9094 CDA# 0319 you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

What I did for mine was put masking tape on both sides of the screen, front and back (mounted on the bike) right above the mounting holes (from the upper fairing "ear to ear"), like two or three 2" strips. Then, took a good piece of string, tied a slip knot to make a big loop that would fit around the screen. Measured up on each side of the screen, using the upper fairing as a baseline, approx 2 1/2" (?) and made a mark with a sharpie. Then placed the loop of string over the screen, tightened the slip knot up using the marks on each side to keep it even. Then, I stood in front of the bike (bike on the centerstand), and pushed up the middle of the string across the front of the shield to make a graceful arc across the front of the screen. I went to art school, so it was easy for me to eyeball that smooth line,,,,,,ooops, no wait a minute, I went to school with a guy named Art, that's what it was. Anyways, play with getting that arc as much as you so desire, make sure the slip knot is good and tight, then carefully scribe the arc along the string with your sharpie. Remove the string. For the sides, to get nice rounded corners, I used the cap off of a spray can to mark the shape of the corners. I used a jigsaw to cut my shield, use a fine tooth blade for the cut, the more teeth the better. If you use the jigsaw, I

I tried a couple of patterns by just free-hand drawing. But the one that looked best was done this way. I took a piece of paper and traced the outline of the stock windhshield from the top mid-point to the bottom of the curve on one side where the windshield attached to the fairing. I took that piece of paper to a copying machine and made different copies by varying the percent of magnification for each copy (some larger and some smaller) and marked that percent on the sheet. I cut the copies along the traced line and laid each one on the windshield until I found one I liked that fit the amount of windshield I wanted to remove. I made two new copies at that size, one as before and the other with the image flipped. Since I had reduced the image, the two halves did not meet in the middle; so I connected the top points with a straight line on a third piece of paper. Taped the three sheets together and that was my pattern.