• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ohlin's shock spring rate

mr. bill

Tricycle
I have a 2010 Concours 14 with the stock shock/spring ...which according to racetech's website is a 133 N/m spring and they recommend for a 160lb rider w/no gear a 131 N/m spring.

I currently have the shock preload set to "0" and the rebound dampening set to "0" and the bike is transmitting all the jolts and bumps to my poor lower back. :'(

I want to get an Ohlin's shock but want to get the correct spring.

Ideally, the shock/spring would be in it's sweet spot with the preload adjusted set to the middle so I could either go softer if I really want to baby my back or I could dial up more preload if I am carrying a rider or luggage.

I have seen people on this website with a 120 N/m spring and that is what I would consider getting from Ohlins...as I think a 130 N/m spring is just to close to the stock 133 N/m spring which is too firm.

Anybody have a 120 N/m spring who can tell me about their experiences with this?

thanks.

Mr. Bill said:
Ideally, the shock/spring would be in it's sweet spot with the preload adjusted set to the middle so I could either go softer if I really want to baby my back or I could dial up more preload if I am carrying a rider or luggage.

I have seen people on this website with a 120 N/m spring and that is what I would consider getting from Ohlins...as I think a 130 N/m spring is just to close to the stock 133 N/m spring which is too firm.

An ideal spring rate is one that gives you the correct sag with about 10mm of preload.  Changing preload does not make the spring (or the ride) softer or harder.  Take a look at this article which is a very good explanation of preload.

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/preload_tech_article.php

If you are having a harsh ride with the OEM suspension it is probably due more to excessive compression damping than the spring rate although at 160 pounds you would probably like the 120 N/m spring.  I would not go to a lighter spring if you ride 2-up very often but you do want to get a shock that has a independent compression damping adjustment.  You may find the Ohlins to have a stiff ride for your weight because they have one size fits all when it comes to damping.  I think Penske does a better job of setting up the shock for the rider's weight and riding style but they do not offer a remote preload adjustment if that option is important to you.

mcrider007 said:
If you are having a harsh ride with the OEM suspension it is probably due more to excessive compression damping than the spring rate...

This ^. Harshness or a stiff ride is usually a compression damping issue. If it is spring rate related it's most commonly because it's too soft, and bottoming. Spring rate has to be waaaay too stiff before it makes the ride uncomfortable.
Preload and rebound damping don't have much effect on it either.

The standard amount of factory pre-load applied to the Ohlins shock for the C14 is 12mm. This is the amount of preload the spring already has on it with the pre-load adjuster knob all the way out (at 0 turns).

I weigh about 180lbs and the 130n/mm spring was too soft for me, the shock was using up way too much of it's stroke, even in smaller bumps. I had it swapped out to a 140 n/mm and then had them back off the factory pre-load to about 9mm, and that has turned out to be just right for me. I have plenty of room on the adjuster to add more pre-load to bring the sag into the 33mm range when fully loaded, and I can back it off enough that I can remove the saddlebags and ride solo and still achieve that same 33mm of sag.

I don't know what you weigh, but I think a 120 n/mm spring is going to be way too soft.

By the way, I have a spare 130 n/mm spring for an Ohlins shock that I'm not using, and would let go real cheap if anyone needs it.  I had it rate tested, and I also have the rate test sheet that goes with it.

I installed the ohlins with the 120 spring and it really isn't that much different feeling than stock.
I weigh 165 w/out gear and am able to obtain 131mm sag with the ohlins....I can't get to the 140mm that might help.
Has anyone tried the 110 spring?  I feel like it needs a softer spring and maybe the valving needs to be opened up more on the compression??
I'm at a loss here, I really don't want to get rid of the Concours, but if I can't get the rear suspension to be a bit more relaxed than I'm going to. :mad:

Mr. Bill said:
I installed the ohlins with the 120 spring and it really isn't that much different feeling than stock.
I weigh 165 w/out gear and am able to obtain 131mm sag with the ohlins....I can't get to the 140mm that might help.
Has anyone tried the 110 spring?  I feel like it needs a softer spring and maybe the valving needs to be opened up more on the compression??
I'm at a loss here, I really don't want to get rid of the Concours, but if I can't get the rear suspension to be a bit more relaxed than I'm going to. :mad:

Have you called Dan Kyle?  ???

yeah, 131mm sag should of read 31.  40-45mm sag is in range for a luxury ride...right?

ZG, I'll be calling Dan to see if he can respring and/or revalve...

Mr. Bill said:
yeah, 131mm sag should of read 31.  40-45mm sag is in range for a luxury ride...right?

No, I think you should be looking in the 30-35mm range for the correct spring.  The harsh ride you are describing is probably the result of too much compression damping which is a common complaint about Ohlins from riders looking for a plush ride.

I have found that about 33-34mm of sag on the Ohlins puts it in the sweet spot for me. I had some wallering on hard cornering that required me to tighten up the rebound damping by one click, and that solved it.

Need your 2cents worth:  About to pull the trigger on a Ohlin for my 2011.  I spoke to Dan on Friday and he recomended a 130lb spring.  70% of my riding is two up; I weigh 200lb and she is 135lbs, plus gear.  Also a Givi 55 top box which is partially loaded.  As to what Fred was listing the 130lb spring will be too soft for our use.  That a 140lb should work with the remote adjuster.  As a side note:  I was thinking about a Penske shock but without and preload adjuster I can't believe they could make it work,  am I correct?  Thanks or your input.

Sonny

MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
Need your 2cents worth:  About to pull the trigger on a Ohlin for my 2011.  I spoke to Dan on Friday and he recomended a 130lb spring.  70% of my riding is two up; I weigh 200lb and she is 135lbs, plus gear.  Also a Givi 55 top box which is partially loaded.  As to what Fred was listing the 130lb spring will be too soft for our use.  That a 140lb should work with the remote adjuster.  As a side note:  I was thinking about a Penske shock but without and preload adjuster I can't believe they could make it work,  am I correct?  Thanks or your input.

Sonny

I hate to disagree with Dan, because he really is the Ohlins expert, but given your weight and the fact that you ride 2 up a lot, I'd go with the 140 n/mm spring.