• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

oil leak

On the right side of the engine there is a large round (mostly) cover. I think it covers where the clutch lives. It has a round incert in the middle of it, the gasket for this incert appeers to be coming out and oil is leaking out(not much but getting worse) has anyone else had this problem? Can the gasket be replaced or do I need a new cover? In the parts diagram it is not clear and the local service people wern't sure. Thanks

Well I'll be dipped. As many times as I have had this cover off I always thought that was a cosmetic piece with no intrusion into the clutch cover. At least I never looked; never had a reason to. Likely the problem is the nut on the cover bolt (there is one) has come loose. You will need to pull the clutch cover to tighten it. If the cover gasket is hosed, the part number is 92071-1108 and it is called a grommet, not gasket. Make sure you mention that to Zippy the Pinheaded Jetski Rider that works your dealer's parts counter. Some COGers, myself included, have pulled the clutch cover and reinstalled using the same cover gasket. It depends on how it comes off. Sometimes a little blue RTV is needed. But, if you want to be sure, get Zippy to order up a gasket for you, part number 11061-1154. You might have good luck with Ron Ayers or other discount internet sites, as likely Zippy will need to order it, charge you a stocking fee, and a special handling fee, and it will take two weeks. Order it from Ayers or other places yourself and save time and money.

Thanks for the info. I've never pulled the cover off so I have no idea what's behind it. And his name isn't Zippy it's Baboo. :)

See updated response top this topic at: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/mboards/viewmessages.cfm?clubID=1328&Forum=1406&Topic=18488