• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Oil

billhook

As with the tires thread I started, I thought oil would be a good thing to get some posting activity going on over here. So, here goes. I had an '83 Suzuki GS650L, that I used Pennzoil car oil 10w40 in. The clutch fiber plates were shot at 14k miles. I switched to Honda m/c 10w40 and the clutch was pulling fine when I got rid of the bike 13k miles later. On the Connie, the first oil change I went with Golden Spectro semi-synth, because I had a few litres that someone down the street gave me. Since then I have been using Rotella Synth. I have 29k miles on the Connie and the clutch has never given a hint of slippage. I change the oil every 5k miles or so. So, my thoughts are that regular car oil causes clutch wear in a wet clutch application. Discuss away. Bill Hookman Columbus, OH COG #6893, Ohio AAD CDA #0278 The twistier and hillier the road, the bigger the smile.

Car oils don't have the friction modifiers; therefore the clutch slippage. Been running fully synthetic MC oil and stretching the change interval to 5,000. But now I'm going back to semi or dino MC oil because I think I will spend the same amount as the synthetic and change at 3,000. One year I wasn't due for a synth change till October and it didn't make any sense to me to spend the money on synth for 1 month (end of riding season for me). Maybe I'll run synth for the 1st part of the year and then dino. Decisions, decisions. Greg COG # 7010/7010a Tracey MA CDA 0120 Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude -CDAAD 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle" 05 Ninja 250

The price difference between regular oil and the RotellaT Synth is so minor, I just continue to use the Rotella. Except that Wally World has bumped up the gallon price by about 6 bucks over the last year & a half. Oh well, it's the only thing I buy there anyway, just 'cause I can't get it anywhere else unless I want to buy a case (of gallon jugs - $$$$$$). Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA

I have a Suzuki same as yours. It too had clutch slippage with penzoil. Changed to Amsoil and slippage did not go away but is not too bad. Only slipps if I get on it real hard and shift at higher rpms than usual. I know, I know, I'm plugging Amsoil. I used to be a deal, but am just a user now. Somehow that doesn't sound right. 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato

Hey Sawfiler, are you an Amzoilrep? I know DougT, the SC AD is. I've been considering trying some synthetic oil. but my jury is still out. It's hard to give up the ol dino stuff. :)

I've been running Amsoil in my '86 since around 50K (now at 125K) and the only time the clutch has slipped is when one of those fingers broke on the clutch spring. I'm not sure how the Suzuki clutch is made, but it may be the plates. Seems like once they get a coating or soaked in an automotive type oil, it could slip until all that oil is purged out. I would not use an automotive type oil in any bike.

Rev, as stated in my previous post I used to be a deal (should have read dealer). I quit selling years ago, but am still what they call a "prefered customer". That means that I can buy direct from the company at dealer prices. I do have to purchase a card for a few bucks each year, but that is still cheaper than buying retail. The Suzuki and now my 90 Connie are the only motorcycles that I have first hand experience with Amzoil. I have many other examples of engine oil, and gearoil in stockcars and 2 cycle in boats that have sold me on their products. But I don't want to be a commercial so will stop here. If you want more info E-mail me. 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent