• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ok, my turn...rookie mistake

hotshoetom

Bicycle
Here we are riding two up at an uphill T intersection preparing to turn right. Just started to pull away from the stop with the handlebars turned and didnt give it quite enough gas to keep it running....engine died, bike falls over pinning leg under exhaust pipe. Passenger hits the road, bangs up knees...meanwhile leg is burning and I am pinned and cannot extricate myself without help...shortly there were no less than 3 people helping pick the bike up. Shaken and sore, we continued on....thank god for crash bars....saved my leg from a sure breaking. Go ahead, give me my number now...I have earned this one.  :truce:

Connie - 1  Tom - 0

Wow, hope your leg didn't get burned too badly and that your passenger forgave you, Tom.  Though I do miss hills, since I live down here in Florida, I can still remember those times when they reach up to bite you.  It sure sounds as if your crash bars did their job though.  And your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

Actually I did subscribe last week or the week before I forget which. If I am not showing up as a paid member yet, maybe the paperwork is still in the mail lol.

hotshoetom said:
Actually I did subscribe last week or the week before I forget which. If I am not showing up as a paid member yet, maybe the paperwork is still in the mail lol.

Yeah, you show up as an active member.  You will need to sign out, then sign back in, and it should show you as active on your profile.

Once the COG number replaces the "forum" under the avatar, we can give you a CDA number.  But these things are handled by volunteers, many of whom are out riding in the beautiful autumn weather. 

On the subject of logging off and logging back on.  After trying many times and not getting results, I accidentally figured it out.
I logged off of the forum, then clicked on COG home page….member area…then log on there.  Then go back to the forum and log back on.  I kept trying to log off the forum and right back on and it never worked.

thanks to all for the sympathy and for helping me get established as a numbered member. Now if I can scrape up enough casheesh for a set of bars to protect the rear bags and my legs for the next drop then I will be good. The burn is healing steadily and the bruised bones are still a bit tender to the touch but not enough to keep me from doing anything. That is one seriously heavy bike! Makes the vstrom feel like a lightweight.

Glad to see your COG number was finally assigned, Tom - congratulations!  And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 521st recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:

0517 C10 Michael Spickelmier
0518 C14 Gerard Salmon
0519 C14 Matt Guss
0520 C10 Steve Sinner
0521 C14 Tom Womack