• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

+/- on new forum

kwn306

Moped
On the plus side - there is a spell check, but after using the COGMOS forum I learned to compose in MS Word, spell check and cut and paste.

On the minus side - IMHO, the section for "Scheduled ride, events, etc.) needs to be broken down into regions (NE, SE, NW, etc.).  If I am away from the boards for a period of time and come back to it a week or two later you have to search through pages upon pages of threads to find what you are looking for.

I'm not sure it is "new and improved" as stated.  I have read many threads about attempting to make a post and getting bumped off and having to log back in and then not being able to get back to the post to submit it, this happens quite a lot to me and I have been through all the settings etc. and everything is set per the wizards that must live on this forum.

Also when I do make a post it does not go back to the thread, it throws you somewhere else in the forum, saw a post from Steve about the fix, I will give it a try.

All this being said, why didn't the administrators set the defaults so the end user wouldn't have to struggle through these issues, not everyone is a computer wizard.  I belong to numerous forums and do not have to modify a thing to use them properly.  But if the computer wizards on here are like my IT department at work they do not understand the English language anyway so they can never solve the problem.  :mad: :( :eek:

Every thing you ask for or need are easy setting either you or admin makes.  The difference from the old forum is there are settings for it.  If we decide what is best for all and change the default to something else then you will be happy but someone else will be unhappy.  So basically if you are going to use computers and forums better get use to it :)

We have already talked about area sections under rides section.  Request noted.

Setting at login to stay logged in FOREVER

Yes you can change your profile setting to return you to the thread you just replied to.  If enough prefer that default we can change it I think.

Don't forget this is a new born baby.  It will mature the way we want it to if we give it the proper direction and guidance

kwn306 said:
On the plus side - there is a spell check, but after using the COGMOS forum I learned to compose in MS Word, spell check and cut and paste.

On the minus side - IMHO, the section for "Scheduled ride, events, etc.) needs to be broken down into regions (NE, SE, NW, etc.).  If I am away from the boards for a period of time and come back to it a week or two later you have to search through pages upon pages of threads to find what you are looking for.

I'm not sure it is "new and improved" as stated.  I have read many threads about attempting to make a post and getting bumped off and having to log back in and then not being able to get back to the post to submit it, this happens quite a lot to me and I have been through all the settings etc. and everything is set per the wizards that must live on this forum.

Also when I do make a post it does not go back to the thread, it throws you somewhere else in the forum, saw a post from Steve about the fix, I will give it a try.

All this being said, why didn't the administrators set the defaults so the end user wouldn't have to struggle through these issues, not everyone is a computer wizard.  I belong to numerous forums and do not have to modify a thing to use them properly.  But if the computer wizards on here are like my IT department at work they do not understand the English language anyway so they can never solve the problem.  :mad: :( :eek:

So as the sap that did this I'll do my best to answer.
Re events, we are setting up Child Sections for each area  that way you don't have to look at them all.

All this being said, why didn't the administrators set the defaults so the end user wouldn't have to struggle through these issues,
Fair point..
Here was the challenge. It was a lot of work to get this new forum up and running.
I did this while juggling many other priorities so was not able to think/do everything.

I allocated 5 days to test the forum with a small user group and we fixed a number of issues.
But the reality of any roll-out is that you don't find the real issues until the real users use the software in anger.

I'll take a look at setting the default for all to go back to the tread.

I think you will find that the posts about kicking folks out of the forum and needing to log back in again are all Pre this forum and relate to the old CFforms one.

Thanks for your feedback it helps us improve what we have

colinp386 said:
kwn306 said:

So as the sap that did this I'll do my best to answer.
Re events, we are setting up Child Sections for each area  that way you don't have to look at them all.

All this being said, why didn't the administrators set the defaults so the end user wouldn't have to struggle through these issues,
Fair point..
Here was the challenge. It was a lot of work to get this new forum up and running.
I did this while juggling many other priorities so was not able to think/do everything.

I allocated 5 days to test the forum with a small user group and we fixed a number of issues.
But the reality of any roll-out is that you don't find the real issues until the real users use the software in anger.

I'll take a look at setting the default for all to go back to the tread.

I think you will find that the posts about kicking folks out of the forum and needing to log back in again are all Pre this forum and relate to the old CFforms one.

Thanks for your feedback it helps us improve what we have

Thanks for the considerations and your volunteering to take on this task.  I might add that while it was being tested by computer friendly people it probably worked just fine for the week, in the future you need to find computer idiots like myself to use as test monkeys, let us drive it for a week, we will find the problems.  ;)

smithr said:
Every thing you ask for or need are easy setting either you or admin makes.  The difference from the old forum is there are settings for it.  If we decide what is best for all and change the default to something else then you will be happy but someone else will be unhappy.  So basically if you are going to use computers and forums better get use to it :) 

Sorry but I don't find any humor in your statement.  You live on the fourm (almost 1400 posts) I don't (less than 300 posts) and I have been a member longer.  Now as far as learning computers, I know enough to get by, email, MS Word and Excell is what I need to know for my job, figuring out a setting on a forum is not my expertise.  Electricity is my expertise, I'm a master electrician in nine states and Washington, DC.

We have already talked about area sections under rides section.  Request noted.

Setting at login to stay logged in FOREVER

Yes you can change your profile setting to return you to the thread you just replied to.  If enough prefer that default we can change it I think. 

In my business you don't think; if you do and are wrong you will more than likely die.  You either know or don't know.  If you don't know you find the answer or live a very short life.

I'm about equal with computer expertise in using basic e-mail, Word and Excel.  Really not interested in learning more than I need to since there's so many roads to ride and a limited amount of life.  However, my experience with rollouts is a Colin said.  Computer literate people work out as many kinks as possible then 'implement' to the masses and work out whatever problems crop up.  Not all problems can be solved.  Not all expectations can be met (just ask the politician of your choosing).  Since I'm not willing to do it myself, I generally leave any settings just the way they are.  Also happy to learn any 'tricks and traps' the hard way and then work around them or ask for help  The worst that can happen is that I somehow break the forum.  That this forum implementation was pulled off with voluteer help amazes me, kinda like the black box that is the ECU. :)

Kurt I can see why you do not find humor in the statement.  I don't either.  It is a fact though and goes right along with a quote you made.
" If you don't know you find the answer or live a very short life." 

I have to do that every day at work and with computers in general.  There is no way to make computers do what everyone wants FOR them.  I wish I could.  It was a satirical smile at the end of the line.

You may be correct there.  I am not sure why help takes you to a COG introduction.  Maybe part of that page should have a link to the SMF users guide.  You can get there now by clicking the Powered by link a the bottom of any page and then choosing the manual from there.

It's not, really, it's more like an introduction to a help section that does not exist. Then they plugged in the name of the forum that you entered in the admin section when you set up the forum.  I hope they will update and add back in the help that was in SMF 1,  before 2 goes gold.

Ok, I just tried this and it seems like a good interim solution

In /sources/subs.php, edit the help button:
Code:
    'help' => array(
                'title' => $txt['help'],
                'href' => 'http://docs.simplemachines.org/',
                'show' => true,
                'target' => '_blank',
                'sub_buttons' => array(
                ),
            ),

Many thanks WillP

I edited the source and the help works much better now. ;D

We did invite a number of folks that were not very computer literate a couple are probably less skilled than you Kurt.
Unfortunately they did not step up to the plate.

Next time I know who to ask ;)

I miss that the old forum used to censor Bionic Bob (BBAR) when he was getting too verbose.  Now we are going to have to put up with long posts complaining about KIPASS and . . . . . . . . . never mind. ::)  Bob got rid of his C-14.  May be now he won't have so much to say . . . . . . . . . NOT! :))

COG-528 said:
I miss that the old forum used to censor Bionic Bob (BBAR) when he was getting too verbose.  Now we are going to have to put up with long posts complaining about KIPASS and . . . . . . . . . never mind. ::)  Bob got rid of his C-14.  May be now he won't have so much to say . . . . . . . . . NOT! :))

I ain't holdin' my breath. 8)