• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

On off switch

prock1951

All:

I received a Warm&Safe lectric jacket as a gift. It does not have a "troller" or any switch. I plug in and it's on. Does anyone know of a way to put an "in-line" on/off switch btwn the battery and the jacket? Too frugal to pay $50.00 plus for a troller.

It's a nice piece of work but without control of the heat except by un-plugging and re-plugging that could distracting while riding.
Ideas?

Phil
'99 'lectric
COG

Heat troller seems to be a good choice

http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=31&chapter=40

You got the jacket as a "gift" and you aren't willing to spring the (relatively) small amount for a heat 'troller?  It would seem that you and I have a very different view (and definition) of "frugal."  You should be able to rig a simple "on-off" switch into the power cord. Gerbing sells one that mounts between the battery pigtail and the jacket cord.

Yes you can make your own or buy a cord with an on/off switch in line. But the problem with going this route is that the gear will be switched on at full current. So there will be no way to vary the temperature. This will wind up with you sweating in short order and turning the power back off. Then you will start getting cold again. Then you'll turn it back on at full current which will make you sweat again. It turns out to be a vicious cycle between sweating and cold. So although a switch does technically work on heated clothing, it really isn't that good to use and get the true comfort that the clothing was designed for.
Although $50 seems like a lot for a controller. The first time that you can start off on a cooler setting and vary it until it stays at the perfect temperature. You'll realise what a pain in the butt constantly switching the jacket on and off between cold and sweating by using just an on/off switch. Then all of a sudden that $50 doesn't seem that bad. Because your using and enjoying the gear the way it is designed. But with the on/off switch you'll probably be thinking to yourself, what all the hype is about heated gear! Do yourself a favor and spend the money on the controller.
It would be a shame to have had someone give you such a nice gift. Only to have you not really get the true enjoyment out of the gift because you decided to go the more frugal route. Of course I understand that sometimes finances do not allow for such extravagant luxuries. But if it is within your means. You'll be doing yourself a true injustice by not investing in the controller.  ;)

Take it from a stubborn, slow learner.
Buy the variable controller. I use the on/off rocker switch for years before  I wised up.

Here's a cheep n simple off/lo/hi design. I've got 1 for heated gear & 1 for grips. Works like a champ!

http://images.fotopic.net/yq68g7.jpg

I fried a troller in the rain a number of years ago. Long story. Anyway, I was to frugal (call me a Yankee if you must) to spring for another one and got Gerbings to comp me the simpler on/off switch, plus the new plug adapters since I have an old style SAE connector jacket and the switch is now co-axial. Anyway, to make a long story short, I don't seem to suffer the "sweating, shut it off, cold turn it on" polarity. It's not a big deal to monitor your own usage and manage the on-off cycles. But then again, I tend to only wear the electric jacket when it's below 45F, so leaving it on is the bes option.
Scott

Paulie said:
Here's a cheep n simple off/lo/hi design. I've got 1 for heated gear & 1 for grips. Works like a champ!

Here's the one I built a few years back.  It will run 3 pieces of clothing independently or you can simplify making it a single channel and run a single piece.  Parts n solder is cheap.  This is true pulse width modulation that allows almost infinite control between off and full duty cycle.

Paulie said:

This works, I'm using a flasher on the grip heat for the KLR. Paulie beat me to it.

Rev Rider said:
Here's the one I built a few years back.  It will run 3 pieces of clothing independently or you can simplify making it a single channel and run a single piece.  Parts n solder is cheap.  This is true pulse width modulation that allows almost infinite control between off and full duty cycle.
Well, apparently I failed to attach the pic.  Here it is THIS time.

Attachments

• Heattroller.jpg
    Heattroller.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 116