• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

One Piece Textile Riding Suit

rluna

Tricycle
Still working on my C10 as much as my day job and weather will allow. In the meantime I want to pick up a one-piece textile riding suit. The price range for these is quite broad. I read the old discussion thread on the original Aerostich "Roadcrafter" ($897)  :eek:. Someone there mentioned the Motoport suits (Cordura at $699; Kevlar $1,299)  :eek:. Aerostich also makes the "Roadcrafter light" ($697)  :eek:. Since the old thread was posted Tour Master has come out with the "Centurion" ($386.99), and Olympia now sells the "Phantom" ($430) and the "Stealth Air" ($330). I tend to be fairly frugal, and at less than half the price these newcomers seem to offer similar functionality. I am currently considering the "Centurion" or "Phantom" offerings, but am unsure how these would stack up against the Aerostich offerings in terms of functionality, comfort, and quality. I may be better off forgetting frugality and just bust out the bucks for a Roadcrafter suit if there is enough of a compelling reason to do so. Compounding the problem of choosing is that there is no place to try these on myself and compare. Presuming this plethora of price points portends a ponderous proposition for my petty pocket!  ;D  Anybody have any experience/comments regarding these choices?

A 'stich may seem pricey and some may feel it does not fit their budget.  This is one of those things in which you get what you pay for. The staff is helpful and friendly. Quality is top notch.  My Darien 'stich is over 10 years old and still going strong.  Normal wear items like broken zippers and worn Velcro was resolved with a reasonably priced and very quick visit back to the factory in Duluth. Same thing would be the case if heaven forbid  repairs are needed due to road abrasion. Not to say I have not had issues... the Goretex delaminated from the shell in the crotch allowing some minor leakage, but it was mostly my own fault. I wore them a lot walking around in the rain at Americade and for use while teaching MSF classes. I've since purchased another pair just for touring, and the old ones for normal daily use.

+1 to what Steve said. I've got a one-piece Roadcrafter that's about 17 years old, still waterproof, and completely functional. It does need some new zipper pulls but that's pretty much it. I like the Aerostitch products so much that I've bought a Roadcrafter for my wife. It's no coincidence that it's the suit of choice for most Ironbutt riders.

I've got to agree that the 'Stitch Roadcrafters are magnificent.  But no matter how great the value is, the bottom line remains that I can't afford to spend that much.  Send a note to Bugnut.  He's got a really nice 1-piece mesh suit.  I can't afford that one either, but it'd be perfect for Florida and it's only about a third the price of a 'Stitch so it is certainly in more people's price range.

Try a three/four season suit with detach panels.
As much as I like my RoadCrafter it gets to hot for me on the C10 in the summer so use the old JR Phoenix mesh suit that has the coarse weave and flows more air than my First Gear Mesh Tex that works fine for the hot wx on the KLR.

If the one piece "stitch" is a little too spendy buy the top and bottom separately, some folks even prefer it that way, myself included.  I just gotta convince them into make a true silver color!!

SAS there was some discussion of doing a group buy on the Teiz suits. At the time, I would have gone all in, in a second.

I'm poor right now, saving and putting cash aside for all the trips I have scheduled this summer. My Arkansas trip will probably cost me the dark side of $900 by the time its all said and done.

Maybe if we do a group buy late this coming fall, or early winter ?