• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

One Tiny Washer

icecadavers

Training Wheels
I made the damnfool mistake of removing the coolant air bleeder bolt completely when draining my radiator. It was alright at the time, there was nothing in there. I replaced the bolt, filled up with fresh new coolant, then noticed a tiny washer laying on the garage floor, directly below the water pump. Aha, I thought I'd felt a washer on that bolt when I first pulled it... I generally assume if a bolt is used to seal an opening to something that contains fluids, especially those under pressure, and has a washer on it, that washer is an important part of properly sealing that opening and should not be done without. So, I pulled the bolt again, and of course coolant started spewing all over. I spent five minutes trying to block the hole with my finger as I loaded the bolt into a socket, lined it up with the hole, rushed to switch my finger out for the bolt, dropped the bolt, repeat a few times... finally got it. screwed it in nice and tight. refilled the coolant to replace the stuff that ended up all over my garage floor/me/my tools. Of course, as soon as this ordeal is all over I notice the damn washer sitting in almost the exact same spot :mad: So what I'm wondering is, is the washer for the air bleeder bolt so essential as to necessitate me going through that again? I'm really tired of playing with my cooling system, I reek of ethylene glycol and I'm probably going to be unable to drink Mountain Dew for a week. Kellin Mavis COG #9068 Houston, TX '95 Concours "Nausicaa"

Here is the trick. Make sure the coolant cap is on and tightened down, before you undo the drain bolt. If it is you only loose a cupful of coolant. If air can't get in coolant can't get out. If you don't believe me try draining the coolant with the filler cap on :)

Well, that makes enough sense... but the filler cap <i>was</i> on at the time, and all hoses were connected as well. on one hand, that might indicate a cooling system leak. on the other hand, the coolant change method in the tech pages specifically says to open the air bleeder bolt with the cap on, and that coolant is supposed to come out. I'm extremely confused now. Kellin Mavis COG #9068 Houston, TX '95 Concours "Nausicaa"

Enlist yours or the neibhoors kid to play the dutchboy and sick thier finger in the dike. Probably cost you an Ice Cream. The other thing is now that you know the drill get everything setup and ready before you pull the bolt. You might try putting a dab of grease or RTV on the Washer to hold it in place on the blot as you put it back in.

Interesting... As long as there is no air in the system then when you undo the bolt not much comes out, least not on my scoot. As soon as I open the filler cap it goes everywhere! :)

It is really not that difficult to just drain the coolant into a clean container, replace the washer on the bolt without having to worry about anything leaking, then refill with drained coolant. I've done this several times for various reasons, works just fine. You can use any handy container for the transfer. JMHO Dan