• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ongoing Baldwin Seat Review

necron99

Crotch Rocket
Hey folks...  I intend this to be a bit of an ongoing seat review of my C14 seat job done by Baldwin Motorbike Saddles - http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/.

First my background.  I've owned about 10 bikes in my life, and had non-stock seats on all of them since the early 90s other than 1 ZX11 that I only had for about a year.  I've had Corbin seats on sport bikes and my VTX, and I've had a couple other seats on the VTX as well.  When I got my Concours, I found a Sargent seat on Craigslist locally, and thought it was better than stock, but it still wasn't my cup of tea.  So I sent my stocker off to Baldwin.

I asked Loren @ Baldwin a few basic questions about seats and turn around time before I had made the decision to do it.  He always responded so very quickly, and professionally.  I had some questions about materials and he quickly offered to send me samples of several of the materials that I was considering.  They arrived within days, as he sent them USPS priority mail.  I made the decision to do the deal based on his professionalism, the good looks of the seats on his site, and the materials provided.

I put my stock seat in a box and dropped it off at the post office on 12/27/2010.  Loren let me know on New Years Eve that it had arrived.  When we discussed the seat through December he said that if he had the seat before the end of the year, that he'd be done by 1/7.  So his current turn around time was pretty short.  On Tuesday 1/5 I got a UPS notification that my seat was already being sent back.  WOW!  :eek:  I pinged Loren and told him I was amazed at how quickly he had turned the order around, and he said, "It wasn't really all that fast, I worked on it over the weekend."  Well, I'm not sure what world Loren lives in, but in my world, that's FAST.  The fact that he too time on the weekend to get me up and running quickly, even though I didn't have a specific need, is commendable. 

The seat I chose to do is the "solo" option, which basically keeps the stock foam in the passenger area and replaces the rider foam.  I also had him include a gel insert.  I went with "carbon fiber" looking vinyl.

So the seat arrived last night.  I got it, put it on the bike in my garage.  I took some pictures, below.  They're really poor, the flash did something weird to the color.  I'll get better pictures this weekend during the day time.  I have sat on it in my garage, and ridden, as of this writing, on the seat a grand total of 20 miles.  So these are my very very very first initial impressions.

First, Loren claims that he re-designs the seat so that you are not thrown into the tank like the stock seat does.  This is an absolute fact, for me.  I sat down on the seat and rode 20 miles and I was exactly where I was when I left.  I didn't feel like I was sliding forward.  It made the whole bike feel better!  The seat is the right firmness.  20 miles isn't enough to know if it's going to be perfect.  I'll hopefully get a better ride in soon.  Maybe even next weekend if the weather promises to hold, as I have to drive down to Austin. 

Second, fit and finish.  Loren is as professional in his workmanship as he is in his customer service.  There isn't a flaw.  He's been doing this a while.  It's balanced, smooth, terrific seams... just a gorgeous job.

I'll come back to this thread a time or two to give my developing impressions.  I'll try to put up a 1000 mile impression and an impression after a longer trip or at least several hours of constant saddle time.  Here are the pictures...  The color just isn't quite right.  It's not a matching blue, I wanted contrast, and I think it looks sharp.  Yes, it's two tones...black and blue.  If you want higher res images, go to this directory and look at the pics without the letter "s" in the file name.

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/morgan/connie/baldwin/

100_2128s.jpg

100_2129s.jpg

100_2130s.jpg

100_2131s.jpg

Sweet looking seat. 8)  Like to two tone.  Would like to see it in the daylight.  Looks a lot like a Sargent which I really liked the looks of but not the ride.

Very nice Necron! It definately has a shimmer to it.  :eek: I am looking forward to a bit of a seat swap here soon myself if all works out.
Nice colors but I'm not sure if I want my seat black and blue!  :p

It kind of looks cool. But I wonder if my computer screen is making it look different that it does in purpouse.

I have a sargant low on my 09 and still slide forward. I emailed Loren and he said he could do the mod with the sargent seat pan. ( I sold my stock seat so I don't have that to send him, anyone have a stock seat or seat pan they want to sell cheap)
If it keeps you from sliding forward I will do it.

It absolutely keeps me from sliding forward.  Even had a passenger today, and I didn't slide forward.

I have more pics in the daylight which I'll upload later.

Looks even better in the daylight!.  :) My seat exchange fell through  :( and down the road I will be looking to upgrade. (More for the passenger than for me) I love the shimmer of the material! Does he have it in a closer match to the blue of the bike? As you know my 06 is very close to the blue of your 10 and being the conservative type  :-\ I would prefer a closer match if it is available..

He has colors available that aren't displayed on his website.  But I think this was the closest he has to the dark blue.  It's called Carbon Fiber print, and I don't recall the color.  I have swatch of it that you can hold up to your bike as well.  I have a bunch of swatches I can bring to a bike night in the future, Doug.  Certainly not all of his samples, tho.

I'm not sure I like the stitching going down the center of the passenger seat, might be a weak point to start a split.

Depends on the weight on the cheeks on the pillion.  LMAO  I barely ever have a passenger.  But I know that this guy has done seats for years and years.  I don't think that it'll be a problem but if it is, he'll stand behind it.

I still love it every day.  It's so comfortable.  But I haven't been able to do any long rides.  I've only done a couple 100 miles days.  I'm hoping maybe next month to do a ride out to the fort country south of Abilene and do maybe a thousand miles in 3 days or so.

I have had mine of a few months now, I did a 6 day ride last month the seat is a lot better than stock, I guess I have to get use to the different position I sit at than I'm used to on a Gold Wing, I like the seat and it gets better ever time I ride the bike. I think it could be a little softer, I opted for the extra gel in it bit it still seems a little hard.
ry%3D400

So I did a 500 mile day last weekend, and that was pretty good.  it's a terrific seat still.  But I'm thinking that it may not be as good as a Russell for LONG rides.  I stand up a lot to alleviate pressure issues, so I'm guessing that the wings on the Russell may be better in the long run for the LONG rides, but after 500 miles I was in pretty good shape with the Baldwin.  I'm sure that if I get a Russell the Baldwin will still be my "stays on the bike" seat and the Russell will get used for longer trips.  I don't mind having special tools for special endeavors.