• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ontario & Michigan Trip Suggestions

Motor Psycho

I'm planning a trip from Alexandria Bay, NY across Ontario to Sault Ste. Marie, then down through Michigan with a stop on Mackinac Island.

Any suggestions or must see places of interest? I'm thinking I'l be mostly on the western side of Michigan.

Thanks

Bill

Sounds like fun! I know you know there are no motorized anything on Mackinac Island. Don't look down through the grates over the bridge! Oh, and it's pronounced "Mackinaw" just so you don't sound like a tourist when you get there.  ;D Safe travels.

Ontario if your a water buff.
Inglis Falls at Owen sound if taking the ferry.
MS Chi-Cheemaun ferry at Tobermory at the end of the Bruce peninsula crosses over to Manitoulin.
Kingston Mills locks on the Rideau canal.
Peterborough Lift Lock on the Trent Severen.

A couple possipilities.

Good choice. West side of MI is the best riding. My friends joke that if you take a map of MI and fold it in half and tear off the right side and use the left you will do just fine. West side has lots of lighthouses and peaceful rides. Frankfort, Holland, New Buffalo are all great views from the break water. Holland and New Buff have great microbreweries and good lodging options. You're too early for apples and late for blueberries

We still have some sweet Cherry's. If you stay to the right when you get off the bridge
you can do the Tunnel of Trees. Part of the route is D-119. It follows the Lake Michigan
shore and comes out north of Petoskey. If you look in your COG membership book
you will find me in Traverse City. You may get lucky and find me home give me a call.
Also don't try to cross the Mackinac Bridge Labor Day. They close it from 6:30 am to
I think noon. There Will be about 25000 walkers.

I'll add to what Sailor Rich has already suggested.

You might consider crossing into Ontario at Kingston.  Hwy 12E out of Watertown brings you to a side loading ferry that carries about 8 vehicles across a narrow channel.  100 yards if memory serves?  There is a small fee but once you get across Wolfe Island you can board a second ferry (free) that'll take you into Kingston, Canada's former capital way, way back when. Kingston is worth a look see.

From there, you can head along Hwy 33 through Amherstview, Bath, etc. along the north channel.  Very scenic.  Kind of quiet.  Agricultural.  Another ferry, also free, takes you into Picton and Wellington County, where there are vinyards.  And, sampling?

The ferry from Tobermory brings you to Manitoulin Island.  The locals call it God's Country.  I think they may be right.  If you have time, try to take in the western side of the island.

Good luck!  Have a great trip!