• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ordering new Angel STs. 190/55 or 190/50

timbo

Moped
I'm getting ready to order my new Angel STs. Not sure to order the 50 or the 55 series. Whatcha all think?

Con05_NH said:
With the larger tire what is the inctease in seat height?

At the most 1/4 inch (not enough for me to notice).  It also helps correct the speedo when the tire is new.  60 mph is a verified 59

Con05_NH said:

The differance in height between a 190/50 and a 190/55 would be 9.5mm or 0.374 (approximately 3/8) inches. The 190/55 will be slightly taller by the given amount.

Cap'n Bob said:
Con05_NH said:

The differance in height between a 190/50 and a 190/55 would be 9.5mm or 0.374 (approximately 3/8) inches. The 190/55 will be slightly taller by the given amount.

Since the seat is about 4/5 of the way from the front axle to the back axle, that would raise the seat right at 0.3".

If it's only 3/8 taller then only half of that distance is between the axle and ground.  .1875.  using the 4/5 seat location rule the height should go up .15 inches.  ;D

i am loving the 55 - the only side affect being slightly taller gearing takes away a little punch in my opinion.  I thought i noticed it ( seat of the pants) the first few weeks after the switch and have since confirmed by riding friends C 14 w/ 50 series......anyone else tell a difference?

dave said:
i am loving the 55 - the only side affect being slightly taller gearing takes away a little punch in my opinion.  I thought i noticed it ( seat of the pants) the first few weeks after the switch and have since confirmed by riding friends C 14 w/ 50 series......anyone else tell a difference?

Must have been a difference between the bikes.  Maybe your buddy has his flies pulled.....

Timbo said:
Jeremy, are you saying that you did not feel any difference in acceleration?

No difference to me.  I think Kawasaki should have equipped the bike with a 190/55 from the factory.  It really makes a huge difference without any negative side effects (that I have noticed).

dave said:

And gems like this are why dyno numbers are needed when doing power mods, not seat-o-the pants.  :D

cablebandit said:
dave said:

And gems like this are why dyno numbers are needed when doing power mods, not seat-o-the pants.  :D

the OP asked for opinions on the 55 - the discussion was not about power mods

Jeremy said:
dave said:

Must have been a difference between the bikes.  Maybe your buddy has his flies pulled.....

that is a possibility as he bought used from dealer w/ limited history.  My brother had a stock 09' and I talked him into the 55, without sharing my thoughts on performance....several weeks later he asked me if I felt any difference in accelaration. 

Jeremy said:
Timbo said:

No difference to me.  I think Kawasaki should have equipped the bike with a 190/55 from the factory.  It really makes a huge difference without any negative side effects (that I have noticed).

Jeremy - is your bike stock or do you have PC?  Reflash?

dave said:
Jeremy said:
Timbo said:

Jeremy - is your bike stock or do you have PC?  Reflash?

When I changed to my first 190/55 (PR2) I had my flies pulled with a PCV and a shortened stock exhaust.  I have an autotune and full Muzzy now.  The difference in height is small enough that the gearing shouldn't be affected (at least by my limited understanding of gearing).

The 55 would have about 2.3 percent taller gearing...not a lot but it would be a factor in a side-by-side roll-on.

dave said:
@ Tony - what is your motivation for going back to a 50?

@ anyone. Just curious. What specifically is the motivation for going to a 55, that so many people seem to have. Gearing wise it would be the same as changing ratios, were it possible, from 3.16 to 3.06. My 2011, I am told, is governed to about 155 mph, so I don't need any more top end. Only been to 140 with it anyways. Is the profile different in such a way that it vastly improves handling. If so how. And this would only apply if you were comparing different sizes of the same model of tire.

Scott

Yes, the 55 profile allows the bike to drop into the corner easier. It's been agreed by folks who have gone that route that the bike handles better on the 55. Having it correct the speedometer is just a bonus.

I had new PR3 installed last Friday, but stuck with the 50. This is my first change from the stock Brickstones and I decided to stick with the stock size to compare the difference. Haven't had a chance to really try them out yet, only a 90 mile superslab ride home.

Since a good portion of my riding is fairly straight line (based on mileage) and only 10% or so on the twisty parts, I didn't know if going to the 55 made sense or not. (Worried that the pointier tire would flat-spot quicker??)

May go to 55 next time around.