• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

OTP at the '23

Old Man on a Connie

COG Industry Liaison
Our traveler Udo will be arriving on Sunday with his guides. We will be introducing him, the OTP program and some past travelers at the Newbie meet and greet on Monday afternoon. A great ice breaker question for Udo are the rules and regulations in Germany for a MC license and the use of aftermarket parts. The answer is mind blowing for us in the US. On Wednesday prior to the ice cream social we will be following an OTP tradition with a local pacific northwest delicacy for Udo and everyone that would like to enjoy. Google Geoduck. Nummie! Thank you all that support this awesome program. Man I love this club.

It occurred to me that some of the newer members may not know what Over the Pond (OtP) is.
So I dug up an old post that explains it and updated it to include Cliff and Udo's rides. (below)

Before you read what OtP is, here is some OtP information.
We (COG and GCE) have been doing OtP since 2002. During that time we've sent over 24 Travelers Over the Pond on the trip of a lifetime.
Udo was elected in 2020 and has been waiting all of this time to make his OtP trip.
(Covid prevented his previous trips)
But, Udo will be with us in Oregon at the COG National and we want all of you to give him a COG welcome.
Let's make Udo's trip GREAT!!!!

NOTE:
Sadly OtP is coming to an end and Udo will probably be the last OtP Traveler to make the trip.

And NOW, "The Rest Of the Story".
What is OtP?

Essentially, OtP is a joint effort between the GCE (GTR Club - Europe) and COG. (The Concours is called a GTR in Europe)
GCE is (basically) COG in Europe.

Each year the two clubs join forces to send a deserving member to the other clubs "National" Rally.
COG and GCE Members nominate, vote for, arrange thre trip/bike/lodging, pay for the Travelers trip.
** One year we send one (or more) from the USA, the next the GCE sends someone from Europe.
The last time we did this (2019), we sent Cliff Burnett to Europe. This year the clubs are sending someone here.
(That person is Udo)

This program is TOTALLY funded by donations from the COG and GCE members.

NO OTHER CLUB (that I know of) IN THE WORLD OFFERS THIS OPPORTUNITY TO THEIR MEMBERS.
Not BMWMOA, not GWRRA, not HOG, NO ONE!

The Travelers had their motorcycles provided, lodging and food (mostly) paid for, guides and the experience of a lifetime. It all depends on donations from members to make it happen.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
1685463286116.png
OtP XVIII has officially started!
,,,,, (OMOAMC {and Harry} that means OtP 18)

I just saw a note from Bernd that Udo is at his house in Germany now.
Tomorrow, he'll haul Udo to the Frankfort Airport for his flight to America.

Brace yer-selves, Udo's on the way!
(Aww S___, there goes the neighborhood).

Ride safe, Ted

PS: (If you count OtP Zero/George {Boomer} Garratt) I think that Udo is the 29th OtP Traveler.

Last edited:
I saw photographic evidence that Udo has arrived. I did see the evidence on the internet, so take that for what it's worth.

Can't think of a better introduction to the club than Russ. What a great ambassador. Russ, you may not stop in Eureka and get him stoned. Unless its on the way back...

After spending nine days riding and hanging out with Udo Westermann (should be Cornermann) and David Goldberg, and the last two bonus days with Cliff Burnett joining us, I have returned home after another epic adventure. Udo came from Germany and borrowed Russ Saunders' C-14, and after Russ showed him some soCal stuff David took over the Most Distinguished Title of OtP Nanny. He took excellent care of Udo for a number of days, leading him up some of the most beautifully scenic roads found anywhere in the world. I met up with them in Fort Bragg, CA on Friday, June 9th, and Saturday morning David took us on an adventurous ride up CA 1 to Leggett. We then went to a drive through redwood tree, posed for the obligatory pictures, and headed north to the Avenue of the Giants. Udo saw some really big trees. The day continued to be great riding as we followed the route David carefully crafted. It was the first of many epic rides with Udo. Crater Lake, the Pacific Ocean, curvy back roads to nowhere- he saw a lot and rode a lot. I truly am grateful to have had the opportunity to serve Udo as he needed to help him have the experience of a lifetime. It's what several members of GCE did for me when I was given the opportunity of a lifetime in 2015, and I hope I have followed their example well.
Udo is still out there riding epic roads with David and Cliff. On the 20th they get a backstage tour of the Cirque du Soleil KA show before seeing the show. Udo said he's having the time of his life. Let's send him home with a camera and heart full of great pictures and memories.

After spending nine days riding and hanging out with Udo Westermann (should be Cornermann) and David Goldberg, and the last two bonus days with Cliff Burnett joining us, I have returned home after another epic adventure. Udo came from Germany and borrowed Russ Saunders' C-14, and after Russ showed him some soCal stuff David took over the Most Distinguished Title of OtP Nanny. He took excellent care of Udo for a number of days, leading him up some of the most beautifully scenic roads found anywhere in the world. I met up with them in Fort Bragg, CA on Friday, June 9th, and Saturday morning David took us on an adventurous ride up CA 1 to Leggett. We then went to a drive through redwood tree, posed for the obligatory pictures, and headed north to the Avenue of the Giants. Udo saw some really big trees. The day continued to be great riding as we followed the route David carefully crafted. It was the first of many epic rides with Udo. Crater Lake, the Pacific Ocean, curvy back roads to nowhere- he saw a lot and rode a lot. I truly am grateful to have had the opportunity to serve Udo as he needed to help him have the experience of a lifetime. It's what several members of GCE did for me when I was given the opportunity of a lifetime in 2015, and I hope I have followed their example well.
Udo is still out there riding epic roads with David and Cliff. On the 20th they get a backstage tour of the Cirque du Soleil KA show before seeing the show. Udo said he's having the time of his life. Let's send him home with a camera and heart full of great pictures and memories.
You, David and Cliff have shown Udo through many days of adventures what OTP is all about! Thank you very much Charlie!