• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

OTP IX - have started - goal Wales/UK

Hey there everyone, This is the start of another great Over The Pond event year. Be sure to support and help promote this great project. If you know nothing, learn. If you know everything nominate and donate. If you are a leader get the word out to the people about it. Hans and the OTP gang are pinging the listserv hard but not much here yet. It would help the team if WE helped promote this. Photos[/url]

Here are some cut n paste from the listserv emails from Hans, Harry and Ted. Here is the GCE rally web site for the rally in Wales that the OTP winner would get to visit. https://sites.google.com/site/gcerally2010/ ------------------ The OTP team have gathered strength again and subsequently started the OTP IX today - with Your help we are getting a

Hmmm.... I looked and didn't find the rules. Do I need my eyes re-tested? :) tcars John

I thought I had an email with that but no can find. I will see if we can get one posted. Photos[/url]

Should we send our pledges via paypal now or just let Spencer know that we're making a pledge with actual payment at a leter date? jason cog 62

Ok I have lots to paste from Hans and I hope it answers your questions. gsjay a pledge only is saying you will donate. You can pledge just to Hans I think but when its time to donate, which you can do now, send to Spencer with paypal or snail mail. Here is what I got from Hans when I asked for rules... Hi all, Here is final OtP IX rules. 0. During the nomination - all candidates - will provide information about riding skill/experience. 1. The selected traveller will receive the economic (as much as we collect) support for travel to EU. The selected traveller have to state that he or she willingly will put up his/her own money to cover rest of the travel expenses that may occur. The selected traveller have to make a report of the travel in the Concourier and also have a webversion on the GCE-site. 2. All collected money - needed for the airfare and some pocket money - will go to the traveller. 3. Travel period approx 21 days - preferable arrival in EU (approx July 25th) departure (approx August 15th). Final decision is made together with the traveller to suit his/hers needs. 4. Participation in GCE Rally in , time and place approx August 1-8th in the town Montgomry, Wales in UK, is the purpose of the travel. 5. Decided time span that we (me and the OTP team and volunteers) will support the traveller (~July10th ~August 15th) - time outside that will be personal planning = You´re on Your own. 6. If there is a bike pledged. Pledgers are solely responsible for the bike and that the bike will be in order for the traveler to use - and organize another one if the first brakes down. Pledged bike that will be used is to be returned as received. 7. The traveller will need a place to stay (several places), incl. some entertaining and food...(pending COG/GCE volunteers). 8. Travel to COG-rally in Wisconsin is highly desired (this is personal cost). 9. Participating in COG-rally (this is personal cost) 10. Travel to GCE Rally from bike pickup and participating in GCE-Rally in UK (this is personal cost), GCEers are invited to pledge B&B etc etc 11. Place to stay, incl. some entertaining and food...(pending GCE/GOG volunteers). I have calculated that the traveller ought to have no cost of lodging due to volunteers from the GCE/GOG - w´ll see ´bout that. If You have any additional thoughts and ideas that You want to convey - please step forward and make your voice heard! Hans in Sweden OTP Instigator ---------------------------------- Hi all, This year,,, we're nominating Members from North America Below are the OFFICIAL Eligibility requirements. "Eligibility" Since everyone can't be eligible, I have decided the eligibility requirements. 1. Past OtP Travellers and "the OtP Team" are not eligible. 2. Nominee must be a "current" COG or GCE member. 3. Nominee must have a history of doing voluntary work for COG/GCE. 4. Nominee will be required to fill out a questionaire on themself. The answers will be used to determine eligibility and as a means of introducing the Nominee to the club. 5. Nominee must be willing to assume expenses above what is collected. (approximate trip cost $2000) 6. Nominee must be able to "quickly" get a passport. 7. Nominee is not to be a frequent traveler to EU. (Hans hopes to send someone who has "never" been to EU) 8. Nominee must have time available for the trip. (approx 2+ weeks) 9. Nominee must write a Post Ride Report about his trip for the club to read. 10. Nominee may be asked to make a short presentation at the 2010 "COG National" . 11. Nominee must taste an EU Delicacy... (NOTE: We will use the annual served delicasy - evil grin) 12. Nominee must be willing to sleep in a loud, disturbing, environment. (for instance, near other COG/GCEers snoring) NOTE: Volunteer needed to share room with "Winner". Requirments; "Must snore loudly" and/or "shower seldom". (We want nothing but the best for our Traveler).. Have to go for now. Please start considering who you want to nominate to go the "Over the Pond"................... Hans in Sweden OTP instigator Photos[/url]

Made my donation to one of the best programs around! ----------------------- Brent Johnson CDA# 0304 AMA# 1046574 COG# 8402 SF Bay Area California 2009 C-14 "Razzi" 1988 Red Concours "Ruby" www.mrpepsi.com/razzi

I feel like I'm the only one willing to donate. I'm surprised this thread has not gotten more responses. Maybe I missed another thread calling for donations.

I am not sure what if anything is up. I know Hans was mainly emailing the listserv with this stuff so I was helping out by posting more here and on the other forum. Not any response over there either. I guess if no one wants to support it will die. You could contact Hans and see if he is seeing normal activity. Photos[/url]

Sorry I missed letting you all know about the deadline for nominations. Good thing I am not on the team. I can feel the floggings now... Please help by sending a pledge or donation using the above methods mentioned. I would hate to have the traveler have to pay a lot out of their pocket. Help foster good will around the world and send a person from the Americas over to set them right over there. Smiley Look for the bios for those that accept nomination soon so you can vote for your favorite to send. Photos[/url]

Got r dun with Harry's good ol http://flogomatic.blogspot.com/ EZPZ, even for the the reading comp challenged gang. ;) 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

AND THE NOMINEES ARE: Mike Aldea - New Jersey Chris Baum - Nebraska Bob Burns - Oregon Jim Culp - South Carolina Russell Fleming - Maryland Michael Kuban - New York Doug Re - Florida Bob Smith - Texas There is still a big need for pledges so please support the nominee of your choice and the program as a whole and make a pledge. FULL DISCLOSURE: I am one of the nominees ... I'm honored to have been nominated and to be among this group of COG members. That being said, OTP is a great program that we all need to support.

How to vote:(from Hans) 1. All COGgers and GCEers can make one vote only. Memberspouses can also make one vote. That will be very difficult when You consider the candidates;-) 2. Non COGger and non GCEers can vote - if You first make a pledge ;-) to be a member of COG! 3. Voting started February 23rd and will end March 21st (prolonged one week from original scehedule). 4. Votes are e-mailed to me only - contact me off list hans-ove.gortz@telia.com Support notes accepted during the poll! Hans in Sweden OTP instigator Photos[/url]

Hans has been busy posting to the cog listserv. I have not been so good getting it over on the forums in a timely manner. Good thing I am far from the flogomatic. Please take the time to read his posts. It has the bios from the candidates and voting and pledging info is included. smithr -------------------------- (Hans wrote) Hi all, Firstly I want to thank You all for sending me the nominations - Some of the nominee's declined for various reasons. But, all of the nominee's were surprised and felt very honored to be nominated. I can assure You that the Nominee's that accepted the nomination,.,, share the same feeling. COGgers and GCEers make things happen! Secondly, all candidates filled in the official "OTP" questionnaire about their "eligibility" and I have found no flaws. Thirdly, I am very pleased to announce that all of the candidates have never ever been to the EU! Here are the eight OTP traveler candidates (in alphabetical order): Mike Aldea from New Jersey Chris Baum from Nebraska Bob Burns from Oregon Jim Culp from South Carolina Russell Fleming from Maryland Michael Kuban from New York Douglas Re from Florida Bob Smith from Texas GREAT Group, all are qualified to be an "OtP Candidate"!! The Voting poll will commence from today (February 25th) and thus the voting starts. HOW TO VOTE: 1. All COGgers and GCEers can make one vote only. Member spouses can also make one vote. That will be very difficult when You consider the candidates;-) 2. Non COGger and non GCEers can vote - if You first make a pledge ;-) to be a member of COG! 3. Voting started February 23rd and will end March 21st (prolonged one week from original schedule). 4. Votes are e-mailed to me only - contact me off list hans-ove.gortz@telia.com If You want to make a pledge - contact Hans off list <hans-ove.gortz@telia.com> You can MAKE A DONATION via the only OTP IX authorized PayPal account located here: http://flogomatic.blogspot.com/ To send in money for your pledge, You can send it via PayPal to Spencer at: <Spencer_Farrow@yahoo.com> If you choose to send real live checks, please send them to: Spencer Farrow COG/"OTP IX" 12711 NE 138th Street Kirkland, WA 98034-2261 Make the check payable to Spencer Farrow. He will deposit it and then have the bank cut a cashiers check to the Over the Pond Traveler. We are looking for pledges like - money, , help at airports, lodging, gas fillups, travel companions to the GCE-rally - and back! COGgers and GCEers make things happen! ------------------------------------------ Hi all, Below You

Please take the time to read the above long post. It has the bios for all candidates and voting info. I know there is a lot of information there. Photos[/url]

My Cog History Part 1​
Back in ancient time before Al Gore developed the Internet there was a group of riders of a new model Kawasaki. One of them Rob Stevens said why don

My Cog History Part 2​
When I took over as NE AD, Jan left me with AADs for New England and Virginia whom I

Once again if you go back a page before Mike's life history :p there are bios from all the candidates. Photos[/url]

Hey what can I say, I've had a Concours life. ;) Now we just need the other candidates to post their histories so everyone will know the candidates when they go to vote. Don't be shy, add to this thread. Mike Aldea, COG-528 Hawthorne, NJ
2469478460102652906xWTIGW_th.jpg
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg

The latest from Hans: Hi all, I have been asked to inform of previous travelers - their stories can be found on our homepage www.eu.concours.org - button OTP - enjoy! 2001 George Garratt UK 2002 Guy B Young US 2003 Daan Zeydner The Netherlands and Hans Dressler Austria 2004 Rick Hall and Linda Swartz US 2005 Marc Kleefstra The Netherlands 2006 Paul Heydemann US 2007 Patrick de Maqueville France 2008 Dave Owen Canada 2009 Wolfram Tege Germany Hans Photos[/url]

Hey what can I say, I've had a Concours life.
Damn Mike, that kicks some serious booty. Ya dun gud! The other guys are gonna haveta REALLY shovel it to even stay in the ballpark. I have full confidence in their, ahem, cough, gag, salesmanship. ;) 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

OK. Got my vote in. Now to get the donation in. Ouch, ouch. Quit flogging me!! Eddie COG Marketing Asst. Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

From Harry Martin Only THREE (3) days remain before the serious floggings begin. I'm hoping that the votes are flowing in. Da BOSS has been real quiet lately. He's either getting ready to flog me and ted, or he's happily counting votes. I HOPE IT'S THE LATTER. I'M ALSO HOPING THAT HE'S ALSO COUNTING PLEDGES. If'n you don't know what I'm talking about, please visit this site: http://flogomatic.blogspot.com/ TIME IS RUNNING OUT! IT'S TIME TO SEND A US COG RIDER OVER THE POND! THREE DAYS REMAIN TO CAST YUR VOTE! DO NOT VOTE FOR TED! Uh-Ohoooo...Here comes Hands...WHACK WHACK WHACK! Ouch... Please VOTE and make a little pledge *WHACKity WHACK* Ouch!...Ok, make a BIG PLEDGE! -- Harry Martin Casper, WY OTP Slave Extroidenair --------------------------------------------------------- PS: Vote and donate by emailing Hans hans-ove.gortz@telia.com Photos[/url]

LAST DAY TO VOTE!!!!!! send Hans an email and vote hans-ove.gortz@telia.com From Hans: Hi all, I will extend the time limit for the poll - so closing day is March 15th - to raise more votes and pledges. Don

We are all waiting to hear who the winner is but Hans wants another day or two to work something out. No matter who goes they need support. That means CASH. Donate if you can. I hear the donations are running behind this year and Wales is not a cheap place to visit. Photos[/url]

Harry wrote: Yes, the wait is painful isn't it? Who has been selected?? (many more evil grins)!! I can tell you for sure, that the winner may be announced *MUCH* FASTER when PLEDGES start flowing *IN*! I can tell you for sure that the winner is not the low life sleaze ball Texan known as TED. The boss has given me strict orders to continue the floggings. He has quotas, you know... Seriously folks, it's the kind hearted pledges and donations from *YOU* that make OTP work. All I can really say is *THANKS* for your continued support. Please help keep the Boss's dream alive. Even a small donation can make a big difference in pulling off this dream ride of a lifetime. LET THE FLOGGINGS CONTINUE! WHERE CAN YOU MAKE A PLEDGE? Why, here of course! -->> http://flogomatic.blogspot.com/ -- Harry Martin Casper, WY COG4090 Photos[/url]

Well I just sent in some money. How about every member chipping in a little? If every member just gave a dollar, well that would be GREAT! Course $5 or $10.00 would be better. tcars John

Hi all, Another interesting year of "Over the Pond". We NOW have a winner...... We NOW have a runner-up....and we NOW have a second runner-up..... I think all the candidates deserves to be the traveler. It

I would like to THANK everyone who voted for me. The OPT trip is one in a lifetime and I hope I am a good representative of COG. So people have said that I do a lot for COG. The reason I do the thing that I do is I LOVE doing thing like this. My plan for when I retire is to set up a motorcycle tour company and have people pay me to take them around the country. Russell W Fleming

Congratulations Russ! :) I know you'll have a terrific trip. Do a really good trip report so I can experience it vicariously.

Goooooooooo Russ! Have funs, make us homebound schleppers proud. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Hi everyone, I have been out of town since just before the announcement. Congratulations Russell and have a wonderful trip. Thanks to whom ever nominated me, the OTP team and everyone involved. Thanks Mike for forwarding this results message to the other forums while I was away. I hope everyone can find it in them to support the project with a donation. I look forward to reading the reports of the trip. Photos[/url]

Congratulations, Russell. I hope you'll have a wonderful time. Finally made my donation. If YOU haven't made yours yet, I urge you to do so right away! Eddie COG Marketing Asst. Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Congratulations Russell , have fun, and retire soon so you can set up that tour company.........again Congrats...........Remember Cripy Bacon.... ;) :)

OTP Update the trip of a LIFE Time At this time I am ready to book air travel. Will fly out of Washington Dulles on Wed July 28 at 12:15 PM and arrive in Vienna Austria on Thursday July 29 at 9:25 am where a good GTR rider will pick me named Walter Kirchweger who has donate the use of his motorcycle. Thursday afternoon I plan on setting the motorcycle for my travel, putting my GPS on and changing set to the one that I have ride for over 300,000+ miles or 484,000 kl that is used to my butt. Walter and I plan on doing some riding Thursday afternoon to get adjusted to the motorcycle. Friday Walter will lead me through Germany to meet up with Bernd Meumann and friends to ride with to Wales. In Wales I plan on the tour that is set up and riding with different people who will let me tag a long with them to set the country. Now Sunday 8th I hope to hook up with someone to ride back to Austria and hopefully hookup with Walter and ride for 1 or 2 day before heading home. Things that I have in hand at this time or working on. Passport Sign up for the National in Wales Garmin Europe maps for my ZUMO 550 Maps of Europe Ready to book air travel my brother will take me to the Dulles Airport Next 2 week get international driver license Looking into ways to keep in touch at home. The worst thing is the GRASS is growing and need to be mowed. Russell W Fleming

I forward from Ted Adcock of OTP slave labor fame --------------------- I decided to send this note as I see that we are in dire need of some help with this years OtP. In previous years (by this time) we've collected more than $1000 of pledges to help the OtP Traveler make his trip. This year we have less than $750 in pledges, and the number of pledges is waaay down... I know it has been a very rough year for everyone. World economy sux... If you can't pledge, we "do" understand... OtP is something that this club does that is very special. I know of no other club that sends a member OtP...... This is the 9th year!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not so much the fact that we must receive "X" amount of money. The thing is, many members of this club share the dream for a person making a ride OtP. The number of pledges show sthat support. We DO have a GREAT CLUB.... Please help us make this year another success. NOTE: We do not need BIG pledges, just a bunch of smaller ones will do. $10 or $20 x (a bunch) will add up. Someone,, (even Harry) Please pass this on to the COG Online Forum........... If I offend some, please feel free to shoot me an email and chew me out. I've been called a ^%#$%^^ on more than 1 occasion. No need to sent to the entire site.. I'll get the idea.. ted@concours.org If you can, please send Hans a Pledge NOTE to help make Russels trip more memorable.. "G

Russ: I'm a bit late on hearing the great news, (been riding the mower) but "Congratulations" and I know you will have a GREAT time. Just be sure and send back some pics every now and then so we can drool. Now as for all you that have not provided some funds, like it has been stated, this is something that we do that makes us stand WAY out in front of other riding organizations. So step up and donate, make this another successful OTP. tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK Northeast Jawja AAD

OTP Update the trip of a LIFE Time What in red is what I have done 4-15-2010 At this time I am ready to book air travel. Will fly out of Washington Dulles on Wed July 28 at 12:15 PM and arrive in Vienna Austria on Thursday July 29 at 9:25 am where a good GTR rider will pick me named Walter Kirchweger who has donate the use of his motorcycle. Thursday afternoon I plan on setting the motorcycle for my travel, putting my GPS on and changing set to the one that I have ride for over 300,000+ miles or 484,000 kl that is used to my butt. Walter and I plan on doing some riding Thursday afternoon to get adjusted to the motorcycle. Friday Walter will lead me through Germany to meet up with Bernd Meumann and friends to ride with to Wales. In Wales I plan on the tour that is set up and riding with different people who will let me tag a long with them to see the country. Now Sunday 8th I hope to hook up with someone to ride back to Austria and hopefully hookup with Walter and ride for 1 or 2 day before heading home. Things that I have in hand at this time or working on. ** Passport HAVE ** ** Sign up for the National in Wales HAVE ** ** Garmin Europe maps for my ZUMO 550 HAVE ** ** Maps of Europe Have and on PC HAVE ** ** Air Fare Booked ** my brother will take me to the Dulles Airport Next 2-week get international driver license Will get next week Looking into ways to keep in touch at home. Talking to 2 phone companies Looking for someone to share a room at the National in Wales The worst thing is the GRASS is growing and need to be mowed. Russell W Fleming

Thanks everyone who gave a donation to help with my OTP expenses. The North South 13 is over now I am putting all my time in on final plan for the OTP trip. Russell Fleming

Thanks for the tour at the Sport Touring Camaraderie Ride May 2, 2010. I hope you enjoy the OTP experience!

Thank to everyone who has made this trip possible for me. I just packed my bags tonight so that I can double-check my list of thing that I have to take along for 17 day. I leave 7-28-2010 and get back 8-13-2010. Thank You. Russell

Have a blast Russell! http://www.millerized.com I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g

Russ, Over the years you certainly have proven yourself deserving of being our OtP traveler. Have a great time! Normally when I can't go on a ride I ask whomever is going to ride a mile for me. :) Well in this case I'm going to be greedy and ask you to ride a day and eat a good Austrian/German/Belgium/Dutch/French meal for me. :p Btw, be sure to keep track of who you meet that will be deserving to come over here in 2011 so we will know whom to vote for. ;) Mike Aldea, COG-528 Hawthorne, NJ
2469478460102652906xWTIGW_th.jpg
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg

Thanks to everybody. Made it home safe and sound in one piece and in bed by 11:15 eastern time. Now the hard work starts with having to write a story about my adventures. This was a TRIP OF A LIFE TIME. Russell W Fleming OTP 2010

Welcome back to the states Russel. I bet it was a great trip. I am glad that everything was aaa survivable. Photos[/url]