• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Over the Pond XVII 2019 is On !!!

bird_hill_trekker

After finding new volunteers by Ranger Jim (thanks to him) we need to launch the new campaign:

Over the Pond is going on  :wee_hee: :bravo_2:

This year, with the help of a crowd of supporters we‘ll bring over a honored COGer to attend at one (or more) European GTR events and do his                            trip of a lifetime.  :s_bye2:

Soon you‘ll find all info (rules, time table, nomination and election process, candidate (self-)presentation,
how to vote, how to donate) ... here as well as at
OTP facebook site https://www.facebook.com/groups/401849443334008/
COG facebook site https://www.facebook.com/groups/ConcoursOwnersGroup/
GCE Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/groups/162195043828558/

2019        OTP XVII    Shedule
1-Jan            Announce start - OtP Facebook
5-Jan            Announce start - COG Forum
6-Jan            Present time table
12-Jan          Start donations and pledges
15-Jan          Open Nominations
1-Feb            Close Nominations
4-Feb            Contact Nominees
8-Feb            Nominees finalized
9-Feb            Announce Nominees
10-Feb          Voting Starts
3-Mar            Voting ends
5-Mar            Winner selected
6-Mar..12-Mar Winner & Runner up contacted
10-Mar          Winner & Runner up presented
14-Mar          Begin detaild travel arrangements
29-Mar          Comlete initial travel arrangements (having an idea)
1-Apr              Ticket purchased
Alternative I (prefered)
27-May          Traveler arrives in Europe tbd Germany? (approximate timing)
30-May..1-Jun Participating in Tour de Twist (Belgium, Luxembourg)
2..11-Jun        Free ride (Floence, Italy? Via France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria?)
12-Jun            Participating GTR gathering „Treffpunkt“ Germany
17-Jun..later  Traveler returns home
18-Jun            Donations & Pledges Conclude
Alternative II
5-Aug            Traveler arrives in Europe tbd Germany? (approximate timing)
5...18-Aug      Free ride (Floence, Italy? Via France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria?)
19...23-Aug    Participating in GCE Rally, Netherlands
26-Aug..later  Traveler returns home
27 Aug          Donations & Pledges Conclude

[size=18pt]OTP 2019 donations can be done already![/size] :bravo_2:

How to donate? :confuse:

If you are living somewhere in America (USA/Canada) just send your donation via PayPal to
OTP.USA@cox.net :s_good:

And if you are living in Europe do simular. Send your donation via PayPal to
GTR1000@t-online.de :c017:

If you don‘t want or cannot use PayPal or if you live somewhere else in he world and want to donate,
just send an Email to GTR1000@t-online.de or a PM to me. OTP team will help you to find a suitable solution.
:08:

Over the Pond  
season starts. A new adventure is coming up!

The 17th year of bridging the Atlantic through motorcycling has officially been kicked off.
This year, a member of COG will go East to ride around Europe, meet some new friends, and attend at one or more European GTR Events.

Please come back to this thread for updates. There is also a Facebook page ("OTP Over the Pond") set up for communications. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=401849443334008&ref=content_filter

Most of you already knows, but perhaps there are some newbies:
What is „Over the Pond (OtP)?
Over the Pond takes a North America COG member, or a GTR Clubs member from Europe, over "the Pond" to visit the other side, once a year, alternating years. They often stay with club members, do some great riding, and participate in the rally of the hosting club. The clubs raise funds to make the trip as low cost as possible for the traveler. The funds are 100% from donations, with none coming from club funds, so it's up to us to keep this thing going!
In the next few months, there will be opportunities for club members to help financially.
Donations can be made on both sides of the Atlantic.

- North America: donations can be easily made via Paypal:  OTP.USA@cox.net
- Europe: donations can also be easily made via Paypal:      GTR1000@t-online.de
Please make donations to the proper Paypal account to avoid currency exchange charges.

You can support this program in several ways:
- Cash Donations
- Hosting the traveler(s) (in 2019 to be done by the Europeans)
- Merchandise donations (to be sold to raise cash)
- Hotel nights (for nights where a host is not available, or impractical)
- Route guides or company (in 2019 to be done by the Europeans)
- Cash Donations (yes, repeated because this is the most critical item)

COG Members surely have seen the articles published by last years' travelers on the Concourier. It was a fantastic trip, and one we hope to match for a COG member this year.
In the next Concourier issue, you will find the report of 2018 of Ralf Peter and André Schaefer.
OtP has a numbers of persons on the team. On the European side, it is headed by Bernd Neumann suppoorted by former OTP travelers (f.e. Ralf and André). On the North American side, the team is made up of the following persons: Russ and Pam Saunders, Mark Hartman, Jim Culp and others.

If you do a search for past OtP threads on the forum, and you'll see some great stories.

The traveler is selected by the clubs. Here's the very basics of the process:
- Nominees are submitted
- Nomineees meeting requirements are contacted to make sure they can make the trip
- Their names are published
- Candidates "campaign" for votes (not at all like presidential elections :truce:)
- The clubs votes to select the traveler. In case of a tie, there will be a runoff vote between the two tying nominees.
- Trip of a lifetime takes place  :great:
- Live happily ever after - with lots of new friends from Over the Pond

OTP - as usual - has some rules:  :96:
They're meant to keep the process fair, and make it easier to manage it. The guidelines, rules, etc. are included below. The rules will cover who can be nominated, who can vote, etc. Please keep in mind that we are not lawyers (at least most of us), and show grace to us as there will always be room for improvement. If you have suggestions for improvement in future years, please send them via PM, or to the OtP email address below, instead of posting them, to keep the thread more focused. This thread tends to get long, so we will try to keep the content focused.
As in past years, more than one thread on the subject will probably come up, but let's try to keep this one on track as the main communication for this great event. There are also announcements on Facebook that are posted by various people, and as in past years, we will try to disseminate information via the Micapeak email list.

Most important:
Over the Pond intention is, to send a honorable member who
- did voluntary work for the clubs or their events
- favored is not able to pay for such a travel self-financed

The rough timeline Already sent above is to help clarify when each step will take place. The dates are approximate, but any changes should be minor.
Please start considering who you will nominate from the GCE/GTR Clubs, and get ready for the opening of nominations...

fyi;
During the time that "OtP" was an official COG Project, "OtP" was co-sponsored by both COG and GCE. (2014-2018)
Before 2014, "OtP" was done by individuals and was not an official COG Program.

Sometimes in 2017/2018 the COG BoD determined that COG could not Officially sponsor "OtP" because of COG's Tax Exempt Status.
A solution was sought by the COG BoD, but no decision was made.  "It appeared that "OtP" would be allowed to fade away this year.

Recently the original "OtP" Team volunteered to try to keep "Over the Pond" alive.
We sent a verbal and {now} a formal/written request to the BoD that "OtP" be officially dropped as a COG Program and immediately be turned over to the original  "OtP" Team.

{Our plan is for a USA/"OtP" team to work together with the GCE/"OtP" Team again, and conduct "OtP" as it was done for the first 12 years}   
We hope to receive a decision from the COG BoD soon.

On January 5;
        bird-hill-trekker announced those initial plans for GCE/"OtP" 2019...
            The US Team fully support's his planning, but cannot join the activities until "OtP" is released by the COG BoD.
        As soon as the COG BoD gives us an official "Go", the USA/"OtP" Team will join GCE/"OtP" and help put on "OtP" XVII / 17 {2019}.

As we await the decision by the COG BoD
                Please consider whom you would like to nominate to travel "Over the Pond from Ye Olde Colonies".
                Please post your thoughts about "OtP" continuing "here".

Ride safe, Ted

Thank you, Ted

for your informations.
I can understand the concerns of GOG BoD. COG is a big but great organization who made
a lot fantastic things and events happen. Yes, OTP just started as an initiative between COG and
GCE members, unofficially, but very successful. I am one of the former OTP travelers and I can confirm:
It was my „trip of a lifetime“. Many volunteers helped to made it happen (OTP 2011).
Over the time, I got many, really many new good friends Over the Pond.
I really know many COGers and more knows who I am. That‘s the literal spirit of OtP.

Over the Pond is such a great program, that I overtook the European activities from it‘s instigator Hans-Ove with some proud and honor.

So many on both sides Of the Pond enjoyed already that program and I‘m sure, we can count on them, if we need their support.

But we don‘t want to overstress the COG organization. And we really don‘t want to get COG into any tax conflicts. Much things are easier on the European side. There is no general legal situation as we dislocated on many states. GCE has no
- formal organisation as COG has (it is more a GTR friends movement)  :campfire:
- has differnt events, organized by differnent independant groups in different states.

Therfore we offered an OTPexit from COG to make things easier and don‘t overstress COG organization, officers and the board. We don‘t want to get COG into any tax conflicts by collecting donations via the COG treasurer.
That does not mean that we don‘t need further support of COG:
- we need to use the platforms of COG: at least forum and COG FB group (to publish OTP infos)
- we want to publish OTP reports and infos via the Concourier issues
- we need to collect supporters donations and pledges within and without COG members (and their spouses)

We are very thankful to have that COG support and hope COG will support furthermore the great, awesome OTP program for the future too - official or unofficial.

Please support „Over the Pond“ as you did over the years.
Do voluntary work for COG or GCE,
and I‘m sure, you‘ll be the next, who will enjoy OTP,
a program, which is really unique...

Just saw a note from Mark. I'm leaving town for a few days. So only have a short time.

Reading Mark's note, it appears that the BoD has approved our request.
Soooo, let's do this....

Start sending in your Nominations.  {For now, PM them to me}...
  I'll post the Nominee requirements below so that you'll know who you can nominate...
Start sending in your Donations.
  See reply #2 or look for my next reply {Reply #10}....

Ride safe, Ted

"OtP 2019 Eligibility"

1. "OtP" Team and past "OtP" Travelers are NOT eligible. (gloom, I hate rule #1)
2. Nominee must be a "current" COG or GCE member.
3. Nominee must have put on COG/GCE Events, Sponsored "OtP" Travelers, been a Team Leader on a COG/GCE National,
      held a Club Office, or have an extended history of helping the Clubs as a "worker".
4. Nominee will be required to fill out a questionnaire on themselves.
      (The answers will be used to determine eligibility and as a means of introducing the Nominee to the club.
5. Nominee must be willing (and able) to assume expenses "above "what is collected.
      (approximate "out of pocket" trip expense may be $2000)
6. Nominee must have (or be-able to get) a passport.
7. Nominee is not to be a frequent traveler to Europe.
      (We hope to send someone who has "never" rode in Europe)
8. Nominee must have time available for the trip.  (approx. 2+ weeks)
9. "Traveler" must write a Post Ride Report about his trip for the club to read in the Concourier.
10. "Traveler" may be asked to make a short presentation at the 2019 or 2020 "COG rally".
11. "Traveler" must taste a tasty Delicacy while on his/her ride...
          (NOTE: We will arrange a "special" delicacy to be used for tasting). <evil grin>
12. Nominee must be willing to sleep in a loud, disturbing, environment.
          (for instance, near other GCEers snoring)
13. "Traveler" must return any unused "OtP" funds after his/her trip.
14. "Traveler" must help future "Nominee's/Traveler's" for a period of 2 years after his trip.
        {NOTE: This was added so that the Traveler can help future "nominee's/Travelers by sharing his/her "OtP" experience}

NOTE: Volunteer needed to share room with "Traveler".
              Requirement's; "Must snore loudly" and/or "shower seldom".
                (We want nothing but the best for our Traveler)

COG has released "OtP" as an official COG project.
This allows the original "Over the Pond" team to take the reigns and conduct "OtP" as we did in the first 12+ years.
That said; we're Going For It!
Please help us make it possible again...

Each year I send in multiple donations to "OtP".
  I do this because;
      * by sending a bit every week or 2, my total grows and I can help "OtP" reach it's target.
      ** it doesn't hurt as much to send a little at a time.
      *** my wife doesn't catch me.

Please help us send a COG Traveler "OtP" to Europe for the ride of a lifetime.. That Traveler could be "YOU" !!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Below is the information that Bernd posted on how to donate to this years OtP (from Reply #2 of this discussion).
      Later Mark {This years OtP USA/Lead} may find even an even easier way to do it in the US of A..
bird-hill-trekker said:
[size=18pt]OTP 2019 donations can be done already![/size] :bravo_2:

How to donate? :confuse:

If you are living somewhere in America (USA/Canada) just send your donation via PayPal to
OTP.USA@cox.net :s_good:

And if you are living in Europe do simular. Send your donation via PayPal to
GTR1000@t-online.de :c017:

If you don‘t want or cannot use PayPal or if you live somewhere else in he world and want to donate,
just send an Email to GTR1000@t-online.de or a PM to me. OTP team will help you to find a suitable solution.
:08:

Over the Pond is going on  :)

Thanks Ted for posting some rules. We don‘t want to overstress the regulations.

Most important:
1. OTP team agrees not to be eligible for compliance reasons
    as long as they are within the OTP orga team.
2. The intention to send over a honorable traveler does not mean that he/she
    should be a well known volunteer of the first row (like ED, ADs, COG officers).
    There are many silent helpers in the background, doing their work for the
    community every year, helping, organizing, hosting, supporting (as well as OTP itself).
    They all can be nominated. Don‘t let them stay behind in the shade of the 1st and 2nd row.
    You know somebody awesome?  NOMINATE THEM!
    Put a light spot on them. it is already a honor to be nominated
    for the poll which we‘ll have among the nomenees.
3. A lot of COGers could do a simular trip by themselves. It would be nice to send over somebody
    who is not able to do it by him/herselv for different reason. let us help to realize his/her „trip of
    a lifetime“
! This is the SPIRIT OF OVER THE POND.

In 2016 I sent you my love Anette - alone, without me :-[. She made it, did thousands of miles, slept in
foreign  :bedtime2: shared the room with her guide  O:).

It would be more than fair if you will send me your girl now.... :))

I would be her personel guide  ;)

How to nominate?

To do your nomination you can send an Email to
OTP.USA@cox.net    or
send a PM to Ted (Connie Rider)
Mark (Old Man on a Connie) or to me (bird-hill-trekker).
But please do not nominate by public post.

OTP team will ask, convince, push, force, flogg... any nominated person to accept their nomination and then publish the remaining nominees as candidates for the entire poll.

[size=24pt]Nominate now!
(nomination phase will end on February 1st)
[/size]

Tired of hanging around, doing nothing, like...ted?

Support OTP!

Attachments

• dang.jpg
    dang.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 127
As presented I am very proud to join this distinguished team of elderly folks that give so much.  ;)  In the USA and Canada please send donations to OTP.USA@cox.net on paypal. Nominations can be sent to the same email address. Don't trust the e version for donations? Want that cancelled check in hand? Drop an email to OTP.USA@cox.net and we can send you a real physical address to use snail mail. Accounting for funds gathered will be available to anyone that asks. We are currently at $130.01 with a goal of $3000.00. I am sure there will be fundraisers at upcoming events as well. We also love to promote auctions. So if you have some parts you would like to donate, memorabilia, crafts to auction off we can help. Every dollar counts (value depends on the current exchange rate for the Euro and the impact from Brexit)  :) So many have devoted so much time and effort to this great group of people. This is a way to say thank you. And your participation matters. Due to our late start things are going to be happening fast and furious but the OtP team has always been nimble and quick to react for a bunch of retired geezers. A tiny snow ball at the top of the hill has tremendous power and speed when it reaches the bottom of the hill. The snow ball has left the peak. Let me know if any questions.

I see Harry woke up to join the "OtP discussion.
Good for you Harry....

Can I borrow your charge card?
    "I" want to make another donation and forgot your number?  >:D

Ride safe, Ted

Because of our late start, we are a bit behind schedule.
    {It's all Mark's fault!!}

The good news is; We have started to receive Nominations.
                          We have started to receive Donations.
                            Please send more of each!!!

We are currently working on a Congratulations Note that will be sent to the Nominee's soon. 
          It will have; Congratulation's
                            Eligibility requirements
                            Questionnaire.

If you receive one, please reply to it "immediately".

Ride safe, Ted

If anyone is wondering what the "OtP" Team has accomplished by doing "OtP" thru COG/GCE??

Once upon a time, from a Country far, "far" away,
    a really "Big" guy traveled to the US of A to ride.
        His name was George "Boomer" Garratt.  (We refer to him as "OtP 0").
            With the help of a few COG Friends, Boomer traveled across the Pond, borrowed someone's Connie, and made his epic ride.

Below is "the Rest of the Story"..

Boomer's trip and COG's support gave Hans the idea to start "Over the Pond to ye Olde Colonies".
Soon after that, Hans "idea" became a "reality"; {see below};

"OtP" I (2002);  Guy attended the first GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" II (2003);  Daan / Hans attended the COG National in North Carolina.

"OtP" III (2004);  Rick / Linda attended a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" IV (2005);  Marc attended the COG National in Washington.

"OtP" V (2006);    Paully attended a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" VI (2007);    Patrick attended the COG National in West Virginia.

"OtP" VII (2008);  Dave attended a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" VIII (2009);  Wolfram attended the COG National in North Carolina.

"OtP" IX (2010);    Russell attended a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" X (2011);      Bernd / Gie attended the COG National in Vermont.

"OtP" XI (2012);    Darrell / Brian attended a GCE Rally in Europe.

There was not an "OtP" in 2013

"OtP" XII (2014);    Richard / Walter attended the 25 Anniversary COG National in Tennessee.

"OtP" XIII (2015);  Al / Charlie attended a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" XIV (2016);  Annette attended the COG National in Georgia.

"OtP" XV (2017);    Mark / Dan attended a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" XVI (2018);  Ralf / Andre attended the COG National Texas.

It's hard to believe that 2019 will be the 17th time that an "OtP" Traveler will go "Over the Pond" for the Ride of a Lifetime!

NOTE: I don't have the exact figures but my guess is;
        approx. $1500-$2000 was collected for each of the {15} people that were sent Over the Pond...
        each year the Traveler/Travelers rode approx. 2000-3000 miles while on their adventure.

Those of you that have been involved; be very proud of yourselves!
                        "YOU" Made it possible!!

This brings us to "Now"... 

"OtP" XVII (2019);  ????? 
              Some lucky person will attend a GCE Rally in Europe. (in May or August 2019)
                            One of you could be that person!!

Please get involved and help us send another Traveler Over the Pond for a Ride of a Lifetime in 2019 !!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: No other Motorcycle Clubs in the World have made this possible for their members.
      Let's keep it going!

If I recall correctly, wasn't George "Boomer" Garrett the very first traveler from the U.K. to a COG national and that was the genesis of the OtP movement? Seems a shame to exclude him from the list. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

connie_rider said:
If anyone is wondering what the "OtP" Team has accomplished by doing "OtP" thru COG/GCE??
Below is the best explanation..
It starts with.
  This year will be the 17th time that an "OtP" Traveler will go "Over the Pond" for the Ride of a Lifetime!

"OtP" I (2002);  Guy attended the first GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" II (2003);  Daan / Hans attended the COG National in North Carolina.

"OtP" III (2004);  Rick / Linda attended a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" IV (2005);  Marc attended the COG National in Washington.

"OtP" V (2006);    Paully attended a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" VI (2007);    Patrick attended the COG National in West Virginia.

"OtP" VII (2008);  Dave attended a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" VIII (2009);  Wolfram attended the COG National in North Carolina.

"OtP" IX (2010);    Russell a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" X (2011);      Bernd / Gie attended the COG National in Vermont.

"OtP" XI (2012);    Darrell / Brian a GCE Rally in Europe.

There was not an "OtP" in 2013

"OtP" XII (2014);    Richard / Walter the 25 Anniversary COG National in Tennessee.

"OtP" XIII (2015);  Al / Charlie a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" XIV (2016);  Annette attended the COG National in Georgia.

"OtP" XV (2017);    Mark / Dan a GCE Rally in Europe.

"OtP" XVI (2018);  Ralf / Andre attended the COG National Texas.

I don't have the exact figures but my guess is;
        approx. $1500-$2000 was collected for each of the {15} people that were sent Over the Pond...
        each year the Traveler/Travelers rode approx. 2000-3000 miles while on their adventure.

Those of you that have been involved; be very proud of yourselves!
                        "YOU" Made it possible!!

"OtP" XVII (2019);  ?????  That person will attend a GCE Rally in Europe.
                            One of you could be that person!!

Please get involved and help us send another Traveler Over the Pond for a Ride of a Lifetime in 2019 !!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: No other Motorcycle Clubs in the World have made this possible for their members...

You are correct that Boomer was the first traveler from that direction to receive assistance from COG members. His trip was the genesis of the OtP program.  I think He traveled PRIOR to the "official" establishment of OtP and preceded the partnership between GCE and COG.  Hans can undoubtedly provide more accurate information.

You have a good point, and I'll add Boomer to my previous note.

We refer to Boomer as "OtP" "0"..

Explanation;
Boomer traveled to the USA {with a little help from his COG friends} 1 or 2 years prior to "OtP".
His trip gave Hans the idea to start "Over the Pond to ye Olde Colonies", so he contacted me  {twisted my arm}, and we decided to try "OtP" in 2002.

In those days, it was only a hope that "OtP" would work.
The clubs backed us and it did!!!

Guy Young was our first victim err "OtP" Traveler.
Now, we're at Over the Pond XVII (17)..
It's hard to believe that Hans dream is still going on.

PS: Boomer and I have corresponded for years.
      Always wanted to meet one another.
      I rode with him in July when I went over for the GCE Rolling Rally to the Alp's.
      Maybe Boomer will post a picture as I can't find the one I took.

Ride safe, Ted

bird-hill-trekker said:
2019        OTP XVII    Shedule

5-Mar            Winner selected
6-Mar..12-Mar Winner & Runner up contacted
10-Mar          Winner & Runner up presented
14-Mar          Begin detaild travel arrangements
29-Mar          Comlete initial travel arrangements (having an idea)
1-Apr              Ticket purchased

Alternative I (prefered)
2..11-Jun        Free ride (Floence, Italy? Via France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria?)
18-Jun            Donations & Pledges Conclude
Alternative II
5...18-Aug      Free ride (Floence, Italy? Via France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria?)
27 Aug          Donations & Pledges Conclude

awesome.... great Job Bernd, this is really exciting to hear...
per the options you noted, I have to assume (I really like the way you did this), that this year's efforts will be geared to sending "one" person, so as to make the $$$ work best for the experience, and also the "options" of dates...
Was the "option" "choice" thing done to make sure the traveler can accommodate and make the choice based on schedules they need to comply with?
That right there is some seriously great thinking..... :great: :great: :great:
as both options bracket the COG National rally here, so someone is gonna have a great riding year for sure... and many stories to tell, either way it goes... :beerchug:

Man, I'm psyched, now I need to make a big pledge, for whomever gets the honor..

(did I mention how much I like Surströmming?.... Hans, Guy, and I, were all fighting with the plastic forks after everyone ran away, at the 2014 COG national, over the last tidbits in the can.... mmmmmmmmmmmgooooood.)

I would promise to eat "some" Surströmming, every single day of that trip, if it was paid for, and my intestines would never quibble...(my wife might, but her dad made her eat earthworms, grubs, and many other weird things when she was a kid..)
Now I need to make some pledge money, and send it off with the dare to anyone that gets chosen, and goes, to "enjoy" the cuisine...

great job Bernd... you rock!!!!!
:You_Rock_Emoticon: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :You_Rock_Emoticon:

In the olden days, this is how we nominated COG members in good standing, for OTP.

As you can see, Ted didn't do too well. I think we should revive this system and test it on Ted, again.
Maybe we could refine it a bit so that Ted doesn't suffer so bad. Either improve everyone's aim, or feed Ted more food to make him a bigger target.

Attachments

• method2.jpg
    method2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 135
I won't don't know if I will be there {thanx Harry}, but here is an idea to slightly modify Alternative's I and II;

Alternative I (prefered)
2..11-Jun        Free ride (Florence, Italy? Via RIDE THE ALP's while going thru France Passo Stelvio, Germany, Switzerland, Austria)

Alternative II
5...18-Aug      Free ride (Florence, Italy? Via RIDE THE ALP's while going thru France Passo Stelvio, Germany, Switzerland, Austria)

PS: Harry,  The arrows hurt, but thanks for nominating me. {??}

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I won't don't know if I will be there {thanx Harry}, but here is an idea to slightly modify Alternative II;

5...18-Aug      Free ride (Florence, Italy? Via RIDE THE ALP's while going thru France Passo Stelvio, Germany, Switzerland, Austria)

Harry,  The arrows hurt, but thanks for nominating me. {??}

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, the arrows could not have hurted (that bad) as they was dipped in novacane prior to use.
Also, they was extra sharp so they wouldn't leave nasty bruises. It wasn't that bad was it?  :( :nananana:

Harry Martin said:
In the olden days, this is how we nominated COG members in good standing, for OTP.

As you can see, Ted didn't do too well. I think we should revive this system and test it on Ted, again.
Maybe we could refine it a bit so that Ted doesn't suffer so bad. Either improve everyone's aim, or feed Ted more food to make him a bigger target.
I likes that!

I went to the 2000 COG National at Natural Bridge, VA out of my own pocket. I'd planned to rent a car for the 2 weeks and see a bit of VA/WV/DC whilst there.
Some very nice COGgers (John & Debbie Hinton, Dale & Tracy Horstman) arranged to loan me a bike and to further keep costs down offered accommodation for some of the trip as well. I had an absolute hoot and got to meet a whole raft of COGgers (including Hans-Ove).
Details here http://www.gtr1000.com/graphics/virginia/virginia.htm

The following year, the West Coast COGgers asked if I'd be attending the 2001 COG Odyessy and I answered that 2000 had nearly bankrupted me so no.
Next thing I knew a load of COGgers had collected up enough for my airfare and had arranged for a bike (Thanks Spencer Farrow) and accommodation (thanks Ramin Keyvan and Tom & Jolene Konkolewski) so all I had to pay for was food, drink and gas. I got to meet some of the same people, but also many many more. Again, I had a blast and made some lifelong friends. Write-up is here http://www.gtr1000.com/graphics/westcoast/westcoast.htm

Since then, I have contributed financially to OTP every single year and will continue to do so until they throw my corpse onto the bonfire.
We also hosted Linda for a few days on OTP III, I helped fix Russells bike on OTP IX, and have met several other COGgers either via OTP or during other trips such as Ted's recent trip to "Yewrope".

Many of the people I met have become good friends. I visited with Linda in 2012 whilst on a business trip to CA, and got to see and ride with Jim Pavlis again.
I am still in contact with Linda, Tracey, and Ramin, even though they are no longer active in COG and can honestly say that COG has considerably broadened my already pretty broad horizons.

OTP is a good thing. Anything that gets people to meet like-minded people from different continents is a good thing.
Yes, we spell stuff a little differently (it's ALUMINIUM!!) and talk funny, but once ya get to know us we ride like you, eat like you, drink like you, and ******** like you. COGgers & GCEers is GOOD people!!

Attachments

• Ted & Boomer.jpg
    Ted & Boomer.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 127
In case anyone is wondering.
I'm the good looking guy with the err short hair and red suspenders.
Boomer is the guy wearing 1/2 of a coat, that can't spell ALUMINUM..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
In case anyone is wondering.
I'm the good looking guy with the err short hair and red suspenders.
Boomer is the guy wearing 1/2 of a coat, that can't spell ALUMINUM..

Ride safe, Ted
I know some women that think those suspenders are pretty sexy Ted......Shall I send them over? :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Reminder that the nominations for Over the Pond will close at midnight 31 JAN 2019.  Get your nominations in. You can send them to me via email or PM. You can also send them to Old Man on a Connie (Mark Hartman), or Connie_Rider (Ted Adcock). 

For your viewing pleasure;
Below is a short video of Al and Charlie's Over the Pond trip.  { "OtP" XIII / 2015 }
  In addition to Al/Charlie, you will see many of the GCE Members that were at the Rally.
      Several of those GCE Members are past "OtP" Travelers that some of you will recognize.
      My wife and I went as tag-a-longs that year.    {ie: We paid our own way and rode with Al/Charlie}.

The video is of the actual Rally in Breda Netherlands..
    Prior to traveling to Breda, Al arrived in Germany and rode from there to the Alps with Bernd and I.
                                          Charlie arrived in Belguim and rode with Gie to meet us in the Italian Alps {at Passo Stelvio}
                                            During their OtP Ride they rode thru 11-12 countries and attended the Tour de France...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=yW_vtLxUukw

Ride safe, Ted

PS: If you go here, Andre is currently doing a day by day report on their "OtP" ride last year.
          http://forum.cog-online.org/rallies-rides-and-events/2018-otp-xvi-report-!/msg658923/#msg658923

TEDDDDDDDDD

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

HARRY.... RELEASE THE KRAKEN.....

giphy.gif

flog_header.png

wait, wait, no flogging please! :lol_hitting:

The nominees are:  :welcome:

Ed Palmer        12154    SE
Kurt Brown      7115      SE
Dan Paulsen    2877      NW
Rich Riczinger  5977      NC
Cliff Burnette    9547    SC

Congratulations  :08: and good luck! :06:

Geez, I leave town a few days and have to retrain the rookies....  :-[

He shoulda sed;

The nominees are:
The {"OtP" XVII 2019}[size=24pt] "CANDIDATES" are:[/size]

Ed Palmer        12154    SE
Tom Vaughan  10640    NW
Kurt Brown      7115      SE
Dan Paulsen    2877      NW
Rich Riczinger  5977      NC
Bob Sherwood  2994      SE
Cliff Burnette    9547    SC
Jami Lopez        10640A  NW

{even though no one nominated me :021:} I want to add;
    Congratulations to each and every one of you!!

Ride safe, Ted

Congratulations to all of you.

Being a rather new member who hasn't been able to go to any meets yet, I don't know but one of the names. Could someone put the online names with the real names, please?  i.e., Ted = connie_rider    (that is if he was a candidate...)

Thank you.  :great: :beerchug:

MtnRider, here you go:

CandidateForum HandleCOG NumberArea
Ed PalmerSwampcat12154SE
Tom VaughanGumby10640NW
Kurt BrownMotoCommuter7115SE
Dan Paulsendandemotoman2877NW
Rich RiczingerMAN  OF BLUES5977NC
Bob SherwoodBobber2994SE
Cliff BurnetteJust Cliff9547SC
Jami LopezJlo10640ANW

Swampcat said:
MtnRider, here you go:

Ed Palmer
Tom VaughanNW
Kurt BrownSE
Dan PaulsenNW
Bob SherwoodBobber2994SE
Cliff BurnetteSC
Jami LopezNW
[td]Swampcat[/td][td]12154[/td][td]SE [/td] [td]Gumby[/td][td]10640 [/td] [td]MotoCommuter[/td][td]7115 [/td] [td]dandemotoman[/td][td]2877 [/td] [td]Just Cliff[/td][td]954 7[/td] [td]Jlo[/td][td]10640A [/td]

no no no... you got that all wrong......

here, I'll help you....

hey, it's campaign time... gloves are off
:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Boomer said:
I went to the 2000 COG National at Natural Bridge, VA out of my own pocket. I'd planned to rent a car for the 2 weeks and see a bit of VA/WV/DC whilst there.
Some very nice COGgers (John & Debbie Hinton, Dale & Tracy Horstman) arranged to loan me a bike and to further keep costs down offered accommodation for some of the trip as well. I had an absolute hoot and got to meet a whole raft of COGgers (including Hans-Ove).
Details here http://www.gtr1000.com/graphics/virginia/virginia.htm

The following year, the West Coast COGgers asked if I'd be attending the 2001 COG Odyessy and I answered that 2000 had nearly bankrupted me so no.
Next thing I knew a load of COGgers had collected up enough for my airfare and had arranged for a bike (Thanks Spencer Farrow) and accommodation (thanks Ramin Keyvan and Tom & Jolene Konkolewski) so all I had to pay for was food, drink and gas. I got to meet some of the same people, but also many many more. Again, I had a blast and made some lifelong friends. Write-up is here http://www.gtr1000.com/graphics/westcoast/westcoast.htm

Since then, I have contributed financially to OTP every single year and will continue to do so until they throw my corpse onto the bonfire.
We also hosted Linda for a few days on OTP III, I helped fix Russells bike on OTP IX, and have met several other COGgers either via OTP or during other trips such as Ted's recent trip to "Yewrope".

Many of the people I met have become good friends. I visited with Linda in 2012 whilst on a business trip to CA, and got to see and ride with Jim Pavlis again.
I am still in contact with Linda, Tracey, and Ramin, even though they are no longer active in COG and can honestly say that COG has considerably broadened my already pretty broad horizons.

OTP is a good thing. Anything that gets people to meet like-minded people from different continents is a good thing.
Yes, we spell stuff a little differently (it's ALUMINIUM!!) and talk funny, but once ya get to know us we ride like you, eat like you, drink like you, and b******* like you. COGgers & GCEers is GOOD people!!
Very much Like button!

Just vote for DAN
                              Dan the Man
                                                              Big D
                                                                                  Danodemotoman

Dan is the most dedicated COGer with continuous 21 years membership, 18 yrs as WA AAD, host of nearly 60 NWCOG events and to quote "is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life"

Dan Paulsen, extraordinaire motorcyclist

:))  OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP... DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP :)  :))

Americans, please send your donations via Paypal to: OTP.USA@cox.net,
Europeans, please use Paypal to: GTR1000@t-online.de

First question... are all candidates here ?
I assume now !

Hello my dear nominees/candidates !

As you can imagine, it's not that easy to get a ticket for the trip once in a lifetime.
It will be a rocky and difficult road. But don't worry, we are with you.

To enable every voter to get a picture of every candidate, even if he/she doesn't know them all (like me for example),
I have 10 questions for each of you:

(Please answer seriously)

1 What qualifies you in your opinion for coming over the pond?

2 Which three destinations are on your list if you are chosen as a traveller?

3 Much more interesting, which three destinations would not be important to you?

4 What do you think of the saying: "The way is the goal"?

5 What experience do you have as a motorcyclist?

6 What was your longest journey (time or miles) on a motorcycle?

7 How important is it to you to get to know different people and countries?

8 How do you feel about traditions, for example tasting a local delicacy, at over the pond?

9 How would you react if you got a vehicle that didn't meet your expectations?

10 What promise would you fulfill if you would come over the pond?

And so that you do not think so long... You only have 48 hours to answer !

Please remember that your answer may mean one or the other vote for you.

And off we go ...now !

:))  OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP... DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP :)  :))

Americans, please send your donations via Paypal to: OTP.USA@cox.net,
Europeans, please use Paypal to: GTR1000@t-online.de

Ok, thanks for the first three answers, Kurt, Richard, Danny! (you can find these answers in the other OTP conversation)
Very fast and very nice !
Now we are waiting for the answers of the remaining five.

A little hint, you don't have to answer,
but in the end you won't gain a vote if you don't.

There are many candidates this time and all are strong.
We want to see the election campaign of everyone.
We want to see the will to win this election.
And also it should be a little fun for everyone,
even if it means a little effort for the candidates.

Vote for me and you are GUARANTEED to have the best, most complete coverage in the Concourier!

Gotta admit, though, it's hard for me to toot my own horn, even though my father always said that you have to toot your own horn because no one else will.

Now back to getting the Winter issue into your hands....

In order to keep all the Candidates introductions together.
    Please go here to post your replies to Andre's questions.

http://forum.cog-online.org/rallies-rides-and-events/otp-2019-nominee-announcement/msg660468/#msg660468

Campaigning for votes can be posted wherever you wish...

Let the Campaigning continue!!!

Ride safe, Ted 

PS:
While the candidates are filling out their questions, some of you may not know where/when the proposed rides are and when?
Below are the 2 proposed rides/dates.

Alternative I (preferred)
2..11-Jun        Free ride (Florence, Italy? Via France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria?)

Alternative II
5...18-Aug      Free ride (Florence, Italy? Via France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria?)

connie_rider said:
Ride safe, Ted 

PS:
While the candidates are filling out their questions, some of you may not know where/when the proposed rides are and when?
Below are 2 on the proposed rides/dates.
NOTE: Andre mentioned there are 3 possibilities?
          I'll try to find out what the third is????

Ted, i did not refer to any time or location issue.
It was just to get a wish from the candidates.
So there is no third possibility pending.    :))

Sorry. That was my oops. 
Your question #2 made me think you might be referring to a 3rd alternative...

ie; 2 Which three destinations are on your list if you are chosen as a traveler?

I'll go back and fix my note...

Ride safe, Ted

These candidates need to get serious about campaigning.  What makes YOU the ideal OtP Traveler?  Why should anyone vote for YOU?

Ranger Jim said:
These candidates need to get serious about campaigning.  What makes YOU the ideal OtP Traveler?  Why should anyone vote for YOU?

I was planning on going the bribery and intimidation route.

I like your style!

Insults, innuendo's, and outright lies about the other Candidates is highly suggested too..
  Fistfights are not allowed.  <Unfortunately>  :-[

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Did I mention my vote can be bought?  :D

connie_rider said:
I like your style!

Insults, innuendo's, and outright lies about the other Candidates is highly suggested too..
  Fistfights are not allowed.  <Unfortunately>  :-[

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Did I mention my vote can be bought?  :D

Well, Dan and Ed seem to be really nice guys. Rich, well, he did put up with all my C10 wrenching questions, so I'll give him a pass. Cliff, the only reason we tolerate him is we like his wife Jimmie better and always hope he brings her.

So, Ted's vote is up for auction, I'll start off with 1 beer!!

Correction to "PS: Did I mention my vote can be bought?"  :D
                          I ain't cheap!
                          "and",,, I'm still trying to get them to send in "write-in votes" for Ted..  <evil/sneaky grin>  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

PS again: Vote for Ted...
                    {Don't tell Mark and Jim I sed that}

connie_rider said:
Correction to "PS: Did I mention my vote can be bought?"  :D
                          I ain't cheap!
                          "and",,, I'm still trying to get them to send in "write-in votes" for Ted..  <evil/sneaky grin>  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

PS again: Vote for Ted...
                    {Don't tell Mark and Jim I sed that}

I didn't say how big the beer was!!

Hey, you going to bring some of that Cherry Juice you had at the 2017 National to the HMR rally?

donation sent - Mark, please confirm receipt when you get a chance.

good luck to all the (awesome) nominees...it looks to be a horse race to the finish line.

:popcorncouple:

MARK!!!  Ted's at it AGAIN!  Engage the Flog-o-matic.

Re: Bribery.  I've alway heard that "you are what you eat."  For the record, I'm "Fast. Cheap. Easy."  :)

Well, I can campaign, or I can get a magazine out. Mark will understand this: "Gentlemen! We have to protect our phony-baloney jobs!"

Back to slaving over a hot computer...

s8LG1q0.png

In all seriousness, I would greatly appreciate your consideration and your vote. I'll try to get some jabs in later...

Shawn said:
donation sent - Mark, please confirm receipt when you get a chance.

good luck to all the (awesome) nominees...it looks to be a horse race to the finish line.

:popcorncouple:
Confirmed! This is a great line up and the votes are rolling in  :great: :beerchug: :)

Hello folks,

first of all many thanks for the partly very detailed answers to my questionnaire. :)

Some answers were already very interesting.  ;)

Ok, after the task is before the task.  >:D

Because the journey of the lifetime should really be deserved. The poll has begun!  :))

We would like to see an election campaign from each candidate. Of course, replying to statements of other candidates is also allowed and desired. Get out the sharp tongues and remember: "Only those who like the people will get their votes and be able to start the journey."  :beerchug:

The next task for the candidates will come on Sunday, be prepared !  ;D ;D ;D

By the way, small task ... What are the reasons why "Ted" cannot be elected ! :mad:

Ranger Jim said:
Ted is ineligible due to Rule #7 plus he's TED.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :)
He's gotten so infamous that I quit identifying him beyond "Ted" in casual mentions in the Concourier. It was a waste of ink to add last name, "connie_rider" and his COG number on every article where he gets mentioned. With that kind of notoriety, why does he need to be eligible?

I completely agree that I am not eligible as a nominee/candidate as I've already been "OtP"...
  BUT, I can dream can't I??
        "and" I are Ted, and invented write-in votes... {normal rules don't apply to me.. (hee hee)}

Ok, OK,, I'll be nice. :truce:
    Lets work on getting votes and donations for Over the Pond XVII 2019 and pick the Winner...     

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Begging is what I do best. I'm well trained for that. {Been married for 47 years}  <Sneaky grin>
      [I saw that ugly remark]..  :-[

PS II: After you vote for an official "OtP" candidate, don't forget to send in your write-in vote for Ted too..

EVERYONE.    Voting has started!!
See post #1..

ie; Voting will open 14 Feb and close 3 March. 
To vote send along with your COG number (only members and associate members are allowed to vote as well as GCE/GTR members in good standing) to OTP.USA@cox.net  .
Donations to help support "OtP" can also be sent via paypal using the same email acct.
I sincerely believe that each and every one of you is deserving to join this very small group of riders that have had the opportunity for a trip of a lifetime.

I am very proud of all of you. Now march forward and let the FUN begin!
Best of luck
Mark Hartman
Servant to OtP

danodemotoman said:
Please vote for Dan Paulsen

I'll throw in a pic of a loving father giving a ride to daughter Carrie in 1982

why are you wearing a helmet... just asking.
:-[ :-[ ::) ::) ::) :-\ :-\

Daughter asking to vote for Daddy Dan (Paulsen) (danodemotoman)

If you have to know.
'Cuz no helmet that small then for a 2 yr old.
  Don't need no stinking rule nazi either. LOL
Truth be told I putted around on a remote gravel road for a few hundred yards while Mom took the pic. Then rode solo..
You had to be there.................

With fingers crossed, the Concourier will be put to bed and off to the printer tomorrow. So that means I'll be able to spend more time shilling for votes here on the forum.

When I first joined and started going to events, my stock introduction was "You may not know me, but you know my motorcycle. I'm the guy who bought 'Shoodaben.'" Then I took over as magazine editor from Dan Breeden and I think it's now shifted after two years as managing editor and being the ever-present photographer at the last two Nationals. (I plan to be in Pennsylvania this July, too.)

I've been giving some thought about what to say here...why should you vote for me? Since I'm the new guy here, I don't have the resumé of club activities like the others. I'm not always visible on the forum. But, like so many of your officers, I have a lot going on in the background. There's rarely a day that goes by that I am not thinking about the Concourier if I'm not working on it, and when I go into a production cycle, as Dan will confirm, it takes a minimum of 40 hours to get it together and frequently more than that. For example, two of the feature stories in the issue you'll see soon took me over eight hours to get on the page to my satisfaction (hopefully to yours as well). When I'm not producing, I'm working to find stories and helping folks out with writing or ideas.

The Concourier takes the biggest percentage of your dues of any club expense. I hear it frequently mentioned as one of the top benefits of the club. These responsibilities weigh heavily on me. I try to spend your money (and mine, of course) as wisely as I can. From the moment I assumed the editor role I had the dream of making the magazine a full-color production, but I waited to realize that dream until I could do so without incurring additional cost.

So, in closing, you see the reason I'm deserving of your vote four times a year in your mailbox. Take out a recent Concourier issue (especially the last two). Open it up and look at how the pages are designed; look at the balance of the photos and text on the page, the consistency, and how much news about the club you get in 40 pages. Now take a Rider or Motorcycle Consumer News magazine, or, if you belong to another club such as MSTA, look at their club magazine. Compare it to the Concourier. I think we stand up very well against them, and I'm working to improve it all the time.

Thank you for your consideration.

P.S. I don't want to forget to acknowledge that the magazine wouldn't even be possible without your contributions of stories and pictures. I'm happiest when I'm only writing my column and the other 39 pages are your words and photos. This club is better than any other club that I've been part of which has had its own publication in terms of having member-contributed content. I'm eternally grateful. Keep it coming!