• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Over the River & Through the Woods Ride

roger123

You can see this ride on the schedule database for details. Myself and a few others are going to be camping for a few days around this ride. The actual ride is on Sunday the 14th of Sep. Me and a few other Coggers will be leaving VA Beach on Sat the 13th and will be spending the night at the Cove Campground near Gore, VA. We will get up Sun morning and head to Cindy Dee's (47 miles) for breakfast and do the ride. We will also camp at the Cove Sun night and head back home Mon AM. All are welcome to come out and camp with us. Here's the Cove website for more info: http://www.covecampground.com/ We plan on bringing pistols and will be shooting at the range. We are all 40+ (some 40++++) and are realatively responsible. We enjoy guns, a good fire and have been known on occasion to drink beer. We've stayed at the Cove before and it's a really neat (read rustic) place. We camped right on the shore of one of the lakes, very nice. There are outhouses near the tent sites. There are also hot showers a few hundred yards away, they are in rough shape but do have hot water and flush toilets. Now for the bad, this place is on a DIRT road. It's a few miles of good graded gravel then it turns to a smaller dirt road for about 2 miles. Tom came in on his Connie with NO issues a few months ago when we stayed there but if you're the type who freaks out at the site of a pebble then this may not be the place for you!! Here's the GPS coordinates for those interested: N39 12.702 W78 23.157 Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

Tell me about the target range. Would I need to bring my own ammo or do they sell there? AMA# 1019197 COG# 8229 CDA# 0267

I didn't go over to the range last time we were there but I talked to the owner and it's just an outdoor range. Bring your own stuff, not sure of the length. I'll give them a call and ask for some more info and post here. Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

Holy Crap! Can it be? Coggers....guns....camping....close to home???? OK, where it the camera? OK, come on now, this isn't funny....where's Allen Funt? (for you young kids, he was the original Candid Camera guy) Maybe not camping, but some AR15, 9mm and 45 action sounds good. Might have to break out the trailer again. Hmmm.....sounds like I DO have something to do next weekend, honey;p (be careful getting back to the range on the bikes. it can be a bit nasty at times) millerized

I,m going to travel light, just a 22 and a brick, plus my carry, did not think of riding to the range, i think I'll walk since i'll be on a connie, or hitch a ride on a wee strom. Virginia Beach, VA COG 6517 03 Concours (9/11/04) 01 Concours (8/16/08) USN Retired

There is a CHANGE in the Starting point of next weekend ride. Over the River and thur Woods. The Cindy-Dee Restaurant is CLOSED so the new starting point is the Green Country Inn in Brunswick MD. 620 Souder Road (Route 464) N39.19155 W077.39907 www.greencountryinn.com I am working on the new route sheet and hope to have it done Monday night. That is paper copy and GPS format. Russell

Come on over Jim, we'll have a good time. Sounds like you've been to the range there before. I was supposed to call and get some details but I keep forgetting. Tom told me that it sucks to get old but I just didn't listen I guess :) Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

Well, it was a nice thought. But, Mr. Funt showed up in the way of 2 soon to expire tickets to Kings Dominion. Now, if someone would have given them to me, I could have said "thanks" and drove on. But, I bought these at the start of the season for our 10th anniversary and she called me on it.And since this is the only weekend I have left this season to go, I got hosed. Dammit....guns, Coggers, Bikes, close to home.... I feel as useless as a door handle on a canoe.....

Don't forget the rain gear, just checked the weather, chance of thunder storms.........for both Sat and Sun, I know, I know, I'm a wimp, Oh and my tee shirt says, "she's in front" Virginia Beach, VA COG 6517 03 Concours (9/11/04) 01 Concours (8/16/08) USN Retired

Well my so called riding "buddies" have bailed on me. They got together in a smoke filled back room and came up with a mutiny plan. They rented a cabin at the Harpers Ferry KOA then called and said, "Hey we rented a cabin, you can join us if you want". Nice! All because of a forcast (a week in advance) of a 30% chance of rain. Do Connies melt in the rain or something? My '01 used to still work in the rain?????? Do you guys want to borrow my trailer? It's not enclosed though so your bikes may still get wet, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Just for that I re-did the route up there, what do those dotted lines in Mapsource mean again? I forget???????? Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

Come on Roger, tell the truth, you begged me and Paul to rent the cabin, so you would not have to take the Wee into the Cove, and possibly get it all muddy and dirty if it rained. Ok, I can't lie, it was all Paul's doing.......... Virginia Beach, VA COG 6517 03 Concours (9/11/04) 01 Concours (8/16/08) USN Retired

Are there any Tent spaces at the KOA camp grounds , and do you have to reserve in advance . I'm still ready for some camping .

Are there any Tent spaces at the KOA camp grounds , and do you have to reserve in advance . I'm still ready for some camping .
Yes, that KOA does have tent sites. Probably don't need to reserve in advance but it wouldn't hurt to call and verify. The tent sites are pretty rocky, I've camped there twice and it's a nice place and all but the tent sites are sloped, rocky and pretty pricy. Don't let that stop you from coming out though!!! Here's the link to the site: http://www.koa.com/where/wv/48107/ Come on out, it'll be fun. Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

Hey, this is a pretty tough group, Joe. But they might come up IF you can promise them lots of rain and gnarly roads. ;) Hope it doesn't rain this weekend for you ('cause I'll be at Summit Point with Team Geritol for both days). :) Y'all have fun! Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 "Dulcinea" A13 KLR 650 "Betsy" K7 DL650 "Tri-X" DR 350SEX "Pogo" '06 Ruckus "Track Machine" '04 R6 "Grey Ghost" '07 EX 250

For the people who were at the ride today, if you enjoyed the ride please send Tony an email thank him for a GREAT ride. COG MD, Tony Borum t.borum@myactv.net Russell

Had a great time on the ride. Didn't camp at the Cove as planned but the AC in the cabin at the KOA was nice. Here's a couple of pics: Tom gets another dirt road merit badge:
2125152370042150490S600x600Q85.jpg
Paul now has one too (I photoshopped out the "one finger" salute):
2276475750042150490S600x600Q85.jpg
What a Wee Strom wants to be when it grows up:
2607425710042150490S600x600Q85.jpg
Getting the fire ready to cook some dogs (Venison and jalapeno cheese no less, YUM (Thanks Bob)):
2620204420042150490S600x600Q85.jpg
Anybody got a towrope?
2364611560042150490S600x600Q85.jpg
Due to the overwhelming influx of hungry Coggers, Russell was forced into kitchen duty. Did anyone tip him??
2366890550042150490S600x600Q85.jpg
Overall had a great time, huge turnout for the ride. Thanks Tony and Russell!!!! Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

I had a great ride and a great time . I don't know where I went but I followed .The only thing that could have made the trip any better would have been camping at the cove , but may-be next time .

Another great time, thanks Russell and Tony for the ride planning. Roger great pics, and the campers (OK we stayed in a cabin) had a great time, we had venison hot dogs from New York (thanks Bob "Patroller" and cheese form PA, thanks Harley Bob. And to top this we stopped in Williamsburg at Patrollers folks and they layed out a nice spread, Bagels, Lox, cole slaw and fruit salad complete with plates. Virginia Beach, VA COG 6517 03 Concours (9/11/04) 01 Concours (8/16/08) USN Retired

Russell and Tony, Thanks for a great ride! This was my first COG ride and it was a great experience! I am looking forward to getting together with you guys again soon! Patrick

Russ and Tony, As HOT as it was that weekend I would have rather been slipping around with you guys than in full leathers on a hot track. But somebody's gotta do it. It was nice to see Roger, Tall Paul, Bob NY and Bob PA who stopped by Summit Point. Ten minutes after they left, Tom and Short Paul stopped by and were drooling (or was that sweating) over the sport bikes. Must get up to the Cove next time, and bring ammo! ;) Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 "Dulcinea" A13 KLR 650 "Betsy" K7 DL650 "Tri-X" DR 350SEX "Pogo" '06 Ruckus "Track Machine" '04 R6 "Grey Ghost" '07 EX 250