• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

overpants

As the fall weather approaches, I look forward to riding in the cooler weather for the first time. last year I just endured thru some warmer winter days and was impressed with the fairing on the connie to keep the cold away BUT i am looking for some riding gear that will aid in keeping my misery to a minimum. I live on Long Island, it gets kinda cold but roads are decent to ride on even thru some very cold days. I am specifically looking for overpants that have knee armor and would keep me warm in cold weather. Any other suggestions would help as well. I have heated gloves and a decent jacket for cold weather riding. I am looking into a gerbings heated vest as well. thanks in advance 98 Windsor Green Connie 15k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

I have First Gear HT II and love them, I even wear them when its warm outside although I plan on getting some mesh pants for the real hot days, I use them when riding in the rain with no problems and well worth the money I spent. http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/ht_ii_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html I hope to get out and ride on Long Island some day, I hear there is some great riding.

Thanks TWNE - I really like the fact that those overpants have the full zipper on the sides. They look comfortbale too. And yes you should make a trip out to 'strong island' someday. Numerous good riding roads, not to mention the people. 98 Windsor Green Connie 15k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

I too have the First Gear HT overpants. Been through 4 Pacific Northwet winters with them, many long trips, one being about 400mi in the rain, and some pretty nasty days. Cant say enough about the First Gear HT overpants in that respect. Full length zipper for getting on and off is great. Armor is not CE approved. At least mine ( HT Overpants I ) are not. NewEnough does not advertise the II's as CE. I supplemented mine with CE later on. Anything over 80 degrees is hot with pants/jeans on underneath. With shorts and the zippers zipped down a little from the waste ( yes they go both directions ) for ventilation they are a bit better. But they are warm and why I am trying Carharts with Armor for the hot days. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Don't mean to hijack, but I too am looking for overpants, something light that I can wear over my work (office) clothes. Any suggestions? Anyone used Tour Masters Over Pants (that's the model name)? Thanks!

I have the Tourmaster Flex overpants. This morning at 39 degrees was comfortable with only the outer shell on. I used them all summer with the outer shell off over my usual work attire (Dockers), and sometimes shorts after work. I only wish they had a way to get to your regular pants pockets. Checkout girls look at you funny when your unsnapping and unzipping your overpants to get to your wallet... ...or maybe they just look at me funny regardless... :confuse: ..dz..

http://www.amazon.com/Walls%C2%AE-Zero-Zone%C2%AE-front-BROWN/dp/B00063JAWA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1254423127&sr=1-6 I keep a pair of these in my luggage to wear over my normal gear. They fit well and they have snaps in the pockets that let you reach into your pants pocket. There are snaps at the ankle for keeping air out and zippers up to just below the hip for getting in and out w/boots. They're also extremely well insulated, they come with a warning for welders to be careful around sparks because you can set them on fire and not realize it for a bit due to the insulation. I've ridden in these to 18 degrees and they held up well, but my jacket was close to its limit.

Adding the CE armor is their a specific kit you buy?
http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieCEArmor.htm No. I did this by trial and error. You can read all about my CE upgrades here. In the First Gear Overpants they have some thick, open cell looking foam I believe is called Temperfoam. I removed that and added CE approved aromor I got from NewEnough.com. Then I backed that up with the thinner, closed cell looking foam from my Mesh Jacket. -- This was done by trial and error to see what fit and what was comfortable. I some cases I simply added the CE armor to the existing foam and just doubled it up. This worked ok in the back and shoulders of both my jackets. In the elbows doubling up the CE and foam took up too much room. Hard to get jacket on with sweather underneath, and feels constrained. A bit uncomfortable. So I just used the CE. So I used the thin, foam pads from the Mesh Jacket elbows to supplement the knees and CE, where the CE and thick foam was a bit too much. Some trimming was involved. I have a bag of the thick foam pads left over out in the garage. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Went to try the HT's on at my local motorcycle shop. Wow, easy on and off, good enough protection for starters. I ordered them online thru motorcycle superstore with free shipping. (Plus my church uses goodsearch and a percentage of purchases go to our church.) I look forward to getting them by the end of the week and probably will have to use them for the upcoming NY/NJ ride on the 17th. Thanks slybones for the add on of replacing the pads with CE approved armor, I plan on doing that once there is a little more scratch in my pocket. 98 Windsor Green Connie 15k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

See if you still want to thank me after spending the scratcht to upgrade. I started off thinking $18 for them CE CoreComp pads, this will be easy and cheap. But over several months of time, I did the pants and 2 jackets for me at aprox $130 total. Then did it again on the wifes gear. Its cheaper than buying new gear just to get CE armor. But at $260 for 2 set of pants and 4 jackets, I wonder. It turned out to be quite an update. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I have a pair of the FirstGear over pants, and really appreciate them on cold (<50) days. I bought them on ebay 5 years ago for <75, and have not had cold legs since. With a bit of tent waterproofing, they also make good rain pants. Honestly, if you are not going too far, a good set of rain pants can accomplish the same thing - break the wind - for a lot less, and take less space/weight. I leave my overpants at home when I tour and just pull the rain pants over my mesh gear when it gets cold. Works for me! Ride safe... Dave

I found this vendor on Ebay, service is great,prices seem to be pretty good as well. Jill Jansing Just one of the friendly Parts girls on our team here at Alcoa Good Times Kawasaki Yamaha Can-am www.alcoagoodtimes.com -- click on online catalogs! shop in your recliner!