• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Packing camping gear?

Crashcup

Hey Coggers, I suppose I should really get over to the introductions forum and introduce myself since I'm new, but, my immediate question is on packing camping gear for a 2-up trip. Any tips, gear especially useful? I have a Shad top case (42L, I think, not the biggest one) - is there any practical way to mount some type of rack to the lid to strap down additional gear? We're contemplating a Great River Road trip, from Minnesota to New Orleans, taking in as much scenic road near the Mississippi as possible. There'll be two of us, hoping to camp about 2 out of every 3 nights. Two weeks total time. I'm planning on buying a new tank bag. We'll probably have a light 3-person tent and two sleeping bags and two pads. Not sure where everything is going to fit. (Although years ago I did a long trip with a girlfriend and camping gear on a KZ550... if we fit it on there, we should be able to get it on the Concours!) Thanks! Keith C. 2005 Concours - "Vanessa"

Hey Coggers, I suppose I should really get over to the introductions forum and introduce myself since I'm new, but, my immediate question is on packing camping gear for a 2-up trip. Any tips, gear especially useful? I have a Shad top case (42L, I think, not the biggest one) - is there any practical way to mount some type of rack to the lid to strap down additional gear? We're contemplating a Great River Road trip, from Minnesota to New Orleans, taking in as much scenic road near the Mississippi as possible. There'll be two of us, hoping to camp about 2 out of every 3 nights. Two weeks total time. I'm planning on buying a new tank bag. We'll probably have a light 3-person tent and two sleeping bags and two pads. Not sure where everything is going to fit. (Although years ago I did a long trip with a girlfriend and camping gear on a KZ550... if we fit it on there, we should be able to get it on the Concours!) Thanks! Keith C. 2005 Concours - "Vanessa"
That's a tall order. Two bags and two pads isn't going to get the job done, as far as I'm concerned. (I assume you're two people on one bike?) As it is, I have a heck of a time with tent, sleeping pad, toilet paper, pots and pans, camp stove, beer cooler and such, even riding alone. Last time out things went flying off in every direction. All I was left with was a scuffed up box of Ritz crackers. My recommendation: a. Get a moto trailer or b. Get an additional bike, or C. Get rid of the riding companion

Keith, There was a similar question on the forum week before last. The answer is to look into backpacking gear. The small, light stuff will all fit in your top case. My wife and I are backpackers and can pack 2 40+ sleeping bags, a two man three season tent, 2 air mattresses, a cook kit with butane stove and assorted other gear into a top case. The problem is that the price for this type of gear is inversely proportional to the size, i.e. the smaller/lighter the more expensive. There are a number of good sources for discount gear on the web. One I use a lot is campmor.com. Also Outdoor World is a good place to start. In my opinion what you don't want to do is strap things on the outside. No matter how well you bungie stuff the wind will figure how to get it loose. If you want, p.m. me and I will give you more info on gear.

Keith, There was a similar question on the forum week before last. The answer is to look into backpacking gear. The small, light stuff will all fit in your top case.
Personally I would like to see 2 sleeping bags, 2 pads and a tent all in a 52L Givi or Shad case. Not that it cannot be done. But I have 2 backpacking sleeping bags, tents, thermorest pads, foam pads, etc all from my backpacking days and I dont really see it to be honest. My tent is not the smallest. I know that. Thats for gang sure. And I have gotten accustom to the blow up mattresses and stopped packing the thermorests. I am too fat for my little thin thermorests. The thick camprest is still comfy. But the blow up matresses are about the same size and a camprest and I like it better. 2 of my 3 sleeping bags are small, light, etc. Even with my friends flashlight clip, the two small bags and the thin 3/4 length thermorests, I dont think I would try to stuff it all in a trunk. Having said all that I would agree with backpacking gear being the answer. I would allocate one saddle bag per person for clothes and toiletries. Use a tank bag for cell phone, wallet, camera, etc. All those items go on the tank. -- Remove the Givi or trunk if you have one. Get yourself one big ass duffle bag. Pack the tent, sleeping bags, pads, cooking gear, extra jackets, bike gear, etc into the big ass duffle bag. Strap the big ass duffle bag down to the mounting plate the Givi mounts to. Or the stock one what. Probably needs some support internally as it will hang over. I saw one Connie once with some bike bags make specifically for this. It was like a 3 tier dry bag system make to stack one on top the other. It was cool. But I imagine $$$. I am cheap. Big ass duffle bag for me. Given that this BADB cannot fit on the pass seat / mounting plate and has to ride exclusively on the plate, not too sure how the idea works to be honest. Will need extra support. Its just how I would start to approach it with the gear I have. The other thing I might consider is leaving the cooking gear, stove and all that home and eating out. Adds some expense but saves on room. I have done solo trips both ways and each has advantages. 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Keith, That's some good advice the others have mentioned. Two-up camping on a bike is indeed a tall order. Think and pack like a backpacker and then some. A solo rider can carry much more on a bike than a solo backpacker; two-up riders will carry less on a bike than will two backpackers. There isn't enough space, let alone the weight. That is considering the backpackers "fraction rule": 1/5, 1/4, 1/3. 1/5 of your weight on your back is easy, 1/4 of your weight average, 1/3 of your weight about max and not fun. Worry about the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves. Use a scale. Loose the trunk. You can carry more on the bike using good bags and packing systems like ortleib or helen2wheels than in a trunk. Air mattresses will pack smaller than most pads; Big Agnes are good ones and insulated. Buy food along the way. Carry only enough water to drink, it's heavy. In the end you may shorten your toothbrush handles, remove tea bag labels, etc., etc., and still be cramped. The Connie will carry it but it will feel like a tank. As we add weight the fun factor diminishes. Nothing improves space availability on the bike like your partner riding his or her own bike. :) Aside from that, two-up riding and camping IMHO is the best indication for towing either a small moto utility or pop-up camping trailer. It creates some problems but solves the space and most of the weight problems on a bike. Plan carefully and have fun! Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

Thanks for the tips! There will be no cooking equipment, we'll be grazing from convenience stores, grocery stores and fast food. I don't even like cooking at home let alone with backpacking gear after a long day riding. I like the idea of putting a big pack on the rear rack... could fit a lot in there, although would need to put it all in a big dry bag or something to keep it dry. My top case is only 42L, and some of our equipment will be borrowed, so not sure how small it's going to be. Old-style air mattresses may be a good idea. Some posts I've read mentioned bringing along a small compressor - that would make inflation easier. Would one mini-compressor be useful for air mattresses or tires? How small are these things? Leaving the passenger behind or putting her on another bike isn't an option. Maybe another trip. I *think* I've got her convinced to carry a mininum of stuff with. Really, she's gorgeous, yet she can rough it and not need makeup just to put on a helmet. Thinking about bringing maybe 4 changes of clothes and make a few stops at laundromats. Or try the Peter Egan routine I've read about and bring old clothes we can throw away! 2005 Concours - "Vanessa"

4 changes of clothes? For how long. I bring 2 for a week. The set I leave with. 2 extra sets socks, undies, etc. Only 1 extra Jeans, let them get dirty so what. But also have shorts and swim trunks. Generally I have found on almost all camping trips, backpacking, our Travel Trailer RV, vacations, etc that I never use all the clothes I bring. I have read and firmly believe in the say: Put all the gear you think you'll need into one pile, and all the money you think you need into a second pile. Cut the first one in half. Double the second one. Your ready. 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I"ve sent you an email with my suggestions. I tried to do via this forum but kept getting kicked off before I could send it. Suggest you also look into www.motorcycle-travel.net . I've had great experiences with them

Here's a camping related shower trick that I learned. When you take your shower only bring minimal stuff. I put on my bathing suit and sandles. Leave the change of clothes in the tent for when you get back. It minimizes the stuff you have to bring into the shower and all that stuff can get wet without causing a problem. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Anyone that thinks you can't get all necessary camping gear in a 42L top case has not looked at what's available these days in small/light backpacking gear. My 2" inflated air mattresses from Exped deflate and roll up to 3"X4.5", my cookkit including butane stove is 4.5" dia.X 6" tall etc. The sleeping bags do take up some room but I put them in vacuum bags and roll the air out which makes them less than 3" thick. But all of these suggestions are a moot point if you are borrowing the camping gear. In that case you get what is available. Maybe you could borrow a Goldwing while you're at it. (just joking) The suggestion of using a large duffle bag is a good one if you were travelling alone but would hang off the back with a passenger. What ever you do, please weigh everything that is going on the bike to insure you will not be overloaded!

When the wife and I were on the same bike, she had one side case, and I had part of the other. Tent folded nicely into the Givi, poles and the rest fit in as well. It was a bit tight at times til we got to PO to ship souveniers, but manageable. Sleeping bags were strapped where I could find room, in waterproof bags and strapped on top of the bags. Kinda gave her an arm rest, although Sanford & Son and Jed Clampet would have been proud. The necessity for a sleeping mat is a non issue if you choose your spot carefully. Ask your camp site folks if you can look for a site before they choose one for you. Pine needles, lots of leaves and sand are your pals. Blow up mattress' are an alternative, as they pack up small. I also packed a MSR wisperlite, coffee pot, cups. Food was mostly restaurants about an hour before stopping for the night and an hour after breaking camp, but occasionally a shot through a grocery store for some "fresh" stuff..lunch meats, wraps, cheeses, juice/drinks. We definately didn't starve for those 2 weeks. Once she got her own bike, I hooked up a Harbor Freight/Sears XCargo box trailer and carried everything including the kitchen sink. I was pulling 2 cots, 4 sleeping bags, 2 fold-up chairs, heater, coffee pot, stove, water....if you could fit it in the trailer, it was fair game. Now that she's no longer riding (hers or mine) I'm back down to 2 bags half full for clothes/boots/towel/snack food/coffee pot/stove and the Givi holds the tent, tools and mostly air. Sleeping bag and self-inflater (sleeping mat, not what you're thinking ;)) are in a waterproof bag and make a good back rest. Food is mom&pops along the route, gas stops are also food stops for later in the evening. I'd been tempted to pack another helmet for those "hot" hitch-hikers....but we won't go there, will we ;p http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

Thanks, Jim. I haven't seen the email, but I'll check to make sure I have the right addy in my profile. What was the subject line? Could have been spam-filtered to the trash, I can search for it if I know at least part of the subject, or the sender. Ken, we are learning about the compact camping gear. GF has a friend who does a lot of kayaking and camping and showed her a sleeping bag and a compression sack that squished down to about the size of a loaf of bread! We will be hitting REI this weekend and try to stuff the sleeping bags very small - lots of air there. I'm not sure how tight we can pack the tent, that may still need to be strapped down externally - in a waterproof bag. Do you guys know whether the CO2 inflation cartridges have a standard size thread? So that no matter what brand of plug kit I buy, I could get refill cartridges from just about anybody and they'd fit the inflator? 2005 Concours - "Vanessa"

Guess I've done about as much of this m/c camping in the last 16 months as one can do. So here's my spin on things....... Ken is correct in that there's no replacement for good light gear. My 36L Givi side cases (KLR650) are not the biggest by any means, but in one side is my tent,35 degree sleeping bag and a single burner/dual fuel stove, along with anything else I'm able to stuff in. Compression stuff sacks are your best friend when it comes to packing.I carry a Thermorest pad and ground cloth anchored on top of a case with Rock Straps and a cargo net for extra security, and have never lost anything( you need the manufactured anchors to make this work...cheap). A local 2 day trip will tell you a lot about what you need and do not need. It's fun when you get your kit all trimmed down to proper size and everything fits easily. My favorite COG humorist/writer....Bruce Barge.... says I look like Jed Clampit's truck on the move. GOG AMA IBA ROK NFG 99 Concours 02 KLR 650 Murry Lawn Tractor

Jimmy Miller wrote: Once she got her own bike, I hooked up a Harbor Freight/Sears XCargo box trailer and carried everything including the kitchen sink. I was pulling 2 cots, 4 sleeping bags, 2 fold-up chairs, heater, coffee pot, stove, water....if you could fit it in the trailer, it was fair game. And that includes a huge pot of excellent soup for the Brrrrrrr Ride gang. ;) Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

" And that includes a huge pot of excellent soup for the Brrrrrrr Ride gang. " Thinking about a big pot of Mr B's BBQ this year. Since I have to pass by there on the way down. Be a shame not to bring it and initiate the less traveled. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
member8960.png

The email came back "Undeliverable" I tried to write my thoughts on this forum but got kicked off. I tried to PM you but was kicked off. I finally gave up.

Trying again. 1. Tightly roll 3/4" thermarest pads and strap them between the topcase and seat. 2. Put some non-skid material on the top of the case and install some "Bungee Buddies" (requires drilling holes in the topcase) and strap the tent to the topcase. 3. Each rider gets one saddlebag for clothes/toiletrie. 4. Topcase gets the sleeping bags OR you can strap them to the tops of the saddlebags alongside the seat.

You don't need more than two complete changes of clothes (i.e. you're wearing one set and packing two more). This doesn't include underwear or socks. I carry 4 pair of underwear and socks and figure to wear the "exterior" clothes for 2 days each (I wear a full riding suit so YMMV). Plan to do laundry every 3-4 days. If it's raining; get a motel. Setting up camp in the rain is NOT the way to introduce someone to motorcycle camping. Again, the Motorcycle Travel Network is worth looking at. I've used it and have never had a poor experience.

...must resist buying trailer...must resist buying trailer... signed, another JCTPA member (Jed Clampett Truck Packers Anonymous) ;) 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Yikes, a trailer?! I don't want to go there. I suppose if I ever try it I might like it, but right now I can't imagine dragging a trailer along. Went and looked at gear last night - the compression sacks are awesome. I got one for my sleeping bag, and GF got a new sleeping bag - $40, not terribly expensive - that has it's own compression sack. It gets down to about that loaf of bread volume. Fatter, but shorter. I'm starting to get excited to see how small we can make all this - think I'm going to get a compression sack for the tent also. I can picture the tent (minus poles), 2 sleeping bags, 2 camping pillows, and maybe 1 sleeping mat all fitting in the 42L top case. Which would leave another sleeping mat in a side case, and the rest of the side cases and tank bag for clothes and camera gear. 2005 Concours - "Vanessa"

Pat, isn't that what we want? Especially with the 70F days and 60F nights. Bitta bbq, beans and if I pack a cooler, some slaw to go with it?! Already put in leave time for the ride. It's the only guaranteed ride I have this year. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
member8960.png

Yeah, I hope we do get a cooler Brrrrrrrr Ride this year. Mmmmmmm, better be careful what I wish for......it snowed on the first Brrrrrrr Ride. Seems like there are fire bans only when it's cold!? Very cold. Excellent! Brrrrrr and Mr.B! Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

Talk about hijacking a thread - whats this about BBQ beans! Back to the discussion. Now you're talking. Work on getting everything in the cases. If you wear mesh riding gear during the day you only need 1 pair of jeans for around the campfire at night. Use the throw away method for underwear and you have it made.

I wear a "stich" so this is easy to do for me. Simply buy your clothing (under garments and socks) on the road. When the articles are too dirty to deal with simple throw them away. Now the Mrs. rides her own scoot and yes I have a trailer if we are out for more than two weeks it comes along. But I pack the minimum personal gear as possible. 1. 1 Stich 2. 2 pairs bicycle shorts 3. 1 pair long pants 4. 3 long sleeve tee shirts (warm enough when cold & cool enough when hot 5. 1 pair sandles or light sneakers (tennies to you left coasters) 6. 2 pair undies (you can guess boxers or whitty tighties I don't care) 7. 3 pairs good freaking socks 8. 1 Electric jacket liner 9. 1 gig bag of personal toiletries 10. 1 baseball cap 11. 1 cashmere wool sweater (cause I liked the movie "Ed Wood" HA!!) Othe "bike" related items ar also carried. Extra gloves, glasses repair stuff etc.... as well. But with this set up I can also carry two sleeping bags, two thermarest pads and one 8' x 8' tent. Along with related camping gear. The wife caries all of her sh*t, er gear. and a small cooler and for the most part we also restaurant it, but I am going to make a "penny stove" (alcohol burner) http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/waite_instruct.html and bring along coffee fixings for the mornings. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

Gotta git my am cafe so 1 of these suckers is mandatory in my pile of junque. Ya do need 110v however.
immrheat.jpg
01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I dont even want to know what that is for. Just plain looks wrong to me. 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I dont even want to know what that is for. Just plain looks wrong to me. Sly: Well, I'm not too sure where your mind is going on that, but to put it to ease, it is for heating water for coffee, hot chocolate, soup, etc. I used one quite a bit in college. They are small, light, and do heat a cup of water pretty fast. tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK Central Jawja AAD

Pardon the return to the original topic ;) We've just about got it down now. I bought a Tourmaster Cortech Tri-bag tank bag - it's a monster. It's got two compartments that can be used separately or together. I'm going to try to use only the bigger, lower section, but will use both if need be. With that, I *think* we'll be able to fit everything in the two side cases, 42L top case, and tank bag EXCEPT tent poles. Those do fit in the top case, but because of the rounded corners, it's awkward and not a good use of space. If it's useful, I'll try to remember to take a couple of pictures of the load. Tomorrow night is test-packing night. Been working on the route planning, too. There are web sites that have the Great River Road route(s), but I entered start and end points for each GRR section into mapping software and then modified the route to follow GRR. I'm curious to know what others have used for this purpose. I started with Google Maps' My Maps, but found that to get extremely frustrating trying to make the route fit. Then I found that AAA has online mapping software, they call it TripTik. (anyone remember the printed, spiral bound TripTiks?) Found that TripTiks is WAY easier to use than Google maps. I'm trying to get the output of TripTiks into a spreadsheet and simplify a bit and make the font bigger for readability. Hopefully I'll end up with a list of turn-by-turn directions with distances that I can have in the tank bag map pocket. If that might be useful for anyone else, I can post that when done. So much to do! 2005 Concours - "Vanessa"

Put all your "stuff" into one of three piles: Essential, Almost Essential, Luxury. Take all of the first pile (Essential), NONE of the second (Almost Essential? WTF?) and ONE from the third (Luxury).