• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Performance after Guhl Reflash

Fred H.

Just a note to avoid confusion, that this thread was split off from the "quietest swlipon exhaust", into it's own thread. It now being a separate/different topic!

kirmaniac said:
Is anyone running a reflashed ECU that opens the flies sooner and running the stock stealth muffler?

Yes, I am, and I believe Bob S. is too. The map Guhl motors made was done on a totally stock bike.

I sent Vance and Hines an email asking them if they could produce a quieter version of their CS One. I suspect if they did, they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.

kirmaniac said:
How does the reflash on ECU with everything else being stock compare to the other mods you have tried?

I previously had the butterflies removed and the fuel remapped with the PCV, which made some impressive improvements. I reinstalled the butterflies when Guhl Motors reflashed the ECU and it now feels to me like it is very comparable to the way I had it set up before with the butterflies removed.

I have left the PCV on it (for now) and I let the auto-tuner make some fine tune adjustments to what Guhl did to the fueling, and it now feels every bit as strong as it did when I had the butterflies removed. I may send the ECU back to Guhl and have him apply the adjustments that my PCV autotune map is using directly to the fuel maps in the ECU, and then I'll just remove the PCV altogether.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
kirmaniac said:
How does the reflash on ECU with everything else being stock compare to the other mods you have tried?

I previously had the butterflies removed and the fuel remapped with the PCV, which made some impressive improvements. I reinstalled the butterflies when Guhl Motors reflashed the ECU and it now feels to me like it is very comparable to the way I had it set up before with the butterflies removed.

I have left the PCV on it (for now) and I let the auto-tuner make some fine tune adjustments to what Guhl did to the fueling, and it now feels every bit as strong as it did when I had the butterflies removed. I may send the ECU back to Guhl and have him apply the adjustments that my PCV autotune map is using directly to the fuel maps in the ECU, and then I'll just remove the PCV altogether.

Fred-

If you do send it back for a reflash with your maps and want to get another baseline of that map, against stock, and against the the original Guhl map let me know.  Assuming Don is willing, I'd go back to the dyno 'for the cause'. 

Bob

Bob said:
If you do send it back for a reflash with your maps and want to get another baseline of that map, against stock, and against the the original Guhl map let me know.  Assuming Don is willing, I'd go back to the dyno 'for the cause'. 

Bob

Bob,

I've been working on smoothing out the map by averaging the gear maps. I think the 3,4,5 gear average is probably what I will use.  Here are the maps if you want to use them. The pink colored tab is the average of gears 3, 4, and 5. The values in the cells represent the changes that need to be made to existing map that Don already modified, since that is what I'm using. So Don would have to sit down and add or subtract those values from his map that he already made.

http://angelridevideos.com/PCV/2010%20Gear%20Spreadsheet%20Guhl1_4_avg.xls

Bob,

I just loaded my 3,4,5 average map into all my gear maps and turned off the auto-tune and went for a ride. The bike feels very solid and smooth in all gears and all RPMs, and pulls very strong (goes like stink).

I then stopped and re-enabled the auto-tune and went through all the gears and rpms I could and rode for about 30 miles or so and then came home and downloaded the trim file adjustments that the auto-tune made. The trim adjustments were very small in all gears. So it appears this is a solid map, and I'd have no problem turning my auto-tune off and using it as-is. Though you need to be aware, this map was developed with the original butterfly map adjustments Don made, not the super aggressive one that he loaded for you to test. So you'd need to go back to the 4 cell shift butterfly map for this fuel map to be correct.

ang said:
Can this work be transferred to the 08 and 09?

I'm not sure what you mean by "this work", but Guhl Motors has already developed an ECU tune file for the 08/09 bikes. The adjustments I'm making to his tune apply to the 2010 bike, since that is what I own. You'd need someone with an 08 or 09 and a PCV and Autotune to do the same thing for those years. I'm not certain how much has changed in the fuel maps on the 2010 bike, but Don could tell you, since he has downloaded both of them out of the ECU. If the base level fuel maps are close enough, the maps I'm making might be able to be applied to the 08 and 09.

This has probably been answered in any of the various Guhl Reflash posts, but does the reflash affect the Eco map loaded on the ECU in any way?

Jagman said:
This has probably been answered in any of the various Guhl Reflash posts, but does the reflash affect the Eco map loaded on the ECU in any way?

No. The ECU has separate maps for both the fuel and the butterflies that are used in the ECO mode, and those are being left alone. I can switch my bike to ECO mode now, and feel a very definite reduction in torque and power on the low end (between 2k-5k rpm).  So turning on the ECO mode now basically returns the bike very close to stock. Its kind of nice too, cause it works like a mode switch now, letting me decide how much low end power I want, and I can switch to it on the fly.

Did the reflash. Along with the Area P slip on my enjoyment of this bike went up about 30%. It's a no brainer. Do it.

Mick

[/quote]

I sent Vance and Hines an email asking them if they could produce a quieter version of their CS One. I suspect if they did, they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.
[/quote]

Fred---seems they can't keep them on the shelves in their current mode of production ;) 
Seem's Mick on here has the reflash done with his Area P with good results so maybe not a big deal to use the stock muffler flash on simple slip on mod's.

Jagman said:
Fred---seems they can't keep them on the shelves in their current mode of production ;) 
Seem's Mick on here has the reflash done with his Area P with good results so maybe not a big deal to use the stock muffler flash on simple slip on mod's.

I suspect the A/F ratio changes just from a slip on are not that huge. The only advantage to running a map specific for the pipe would be to try to maximize the performance increase from it. I seriously doubt just changing the pipe is going to drive the A/F ratio out of bounds. The MAP sensor should also see some of the change in pressure at the intake and be able to compensate some for it on it's own anyway.

I'm trying to get my hands on a Cs1 so I can put it on my bike and build a map for it with my Autotune system, but I'm going to have to wait for the weather to cool down first. Maybe sometime in the next couple weeks or so when the temps drop back down to a more reasonable 105.