• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Photos Poorboy Wheel Balancer

J

j mullins

For easy balancing, the yellow dot (sometimes white) should be lined up with the valve stem. To find the heavy side, gently spin the wheel and then let it come to rest. Heavy side will be at bottom. Then add weight to the light side. Spin again. If it stops at the same place, add more weight to the light side.  Repeat until it does not stop in the same place twice.  The tire is balanced.  The key here is using the spindle bolt on any flat surface.  It is also a good way to check your bearings. JD

Attachments

• 001_sc.jpg
    001_sc.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 003_sc.jpg
    003_sc.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 006_sc.jpg
    006_sc.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 007_sc.jpg
    007_sc.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 121
Nice JDM!

Typically Connie Frugal LoL :)

Can you write it up and send to Slybones to post up as a Tech Article?

Colin, if we generate some interest I can do that.  You be the judge.  HTH JD

This is still a good way to check your wheel bearings for burnelling.  HTH JD

2linby, don't come back with a yikes. I am getting ready for a 10,000 to 12,000 mi trip, maybe more; 6 weeks on the road and wouldn't have any thing else.  These tires are as good as you can get in a long distance tire. Good for about 20,000 mi with a load. Have you ever run these tires? I get a feeling you have not, but if you know something more about these tires, I would like to know. I have a extra set of wheels for the Connie.  I run a softer tire here in northwest Arkansas when I want to run the twisties. These 491s will come off when I get back and be hung back up in the rafters of the shop.  It is getting hard to find tires for the Connie especially when you are traveling.  And if you do find them, you are going to pay out the a$$ for anything you find. Been there. Remember I am an Old Fart.  Want to race? :)  JD 

Don't pick at his invention. It works!

We built a very similar ballancer to rebuild/balance all the rotating parts in a Model T Ford Engine and transmission.
Ours was bit more refined as we used some knife edged steel for the beams to reduce friction, and a bubble balance to get it perfectly level.
We found that Originally all the T parts were "badly" out of balance.
Did a lot of grinding and everything is now balanced.

One of the items that we balanced was the Model T Flywheel. (58+ lbs)
To  start the project We chucked it in a lathe and cut off 7 lbs.
We then drilled holes to do the balance.... 
NOTE: Our homemade balance was accurate enough that we could change the balance with the weight of 1 BB.

Out of curiosity we sent the flywheel to a speed shop and had it properly balanced.
We found that our homemade balance was incrdibly close to the finished/digital/spin balance.  8)

In addition to our balance,,, we bored the engine, decked the block, added a higher lift cam, shaved the head  (0.125"), 3 angle valve job, hard faced the seats, and replaced the pistons and rods with MUCH lighter ones. We then balanced all the pistons and rods.

Now, I know some will ask why we did this?
My answer is if you ask such a question,, you will never understand!  :p

With a bit of luck, our 21 hp engine may produce 27...  And it will do it smoothly  :))  WOW!!!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Colin, your gonna laugh at this.
In a T some install a gearbox (Warford) behind the T Transmission to split the gears. (Low/std/overdrive)
Unfortunately, Such a transmission costs a bundle!
Being a tinkerer, I've been building my own by using the gears out of a motorcycle.
I doubt I will ever do it,, but can you imagine the # of gear choices I would have....

Ride safe, Ted

Hey Ted, any chance Chuck is going to take you up on your offer to trailer his Connie to the national in VT?
Just don't use the T for the tow vehicle.  ;D

Mark.

Actually we haven't talked about me taking his bike with me as I may not be going.  :'(
Unfortunately, the T might have to be the Tow vehicle.Explanation:
The trip may be a canx for me.  Someone stole my Avalanche last week..  :mad:
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  :mad:

At this point my only option to go  is to Fly there and "try" to find a bike to ride... 
QUESTION:: Is anyone willing to let an OtP guy (ME) borrow a bike fer a day while we're at the NATIONAL????????
(So I can ride with the Travelers)            I'm honest and trustworthy!!    :)

Ride safe, Ted

Don't give up hope just yet!

connie_rider said:
Actually we haven't talked about me taking his bike with me as I may not be going.  :'(
Unfortunately, the T might have to be the Tow vehicle.Explanation:
The trip may be a canx for me.  Someone stole my Avalanche last week..  :mad:
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  :mad:

At this point my only option to go  is to Fly there and "try" to find a bike to ride... 
QUESTION:: Is anyone willing to let an OtP guy (ME) borrow a bike fer a day while we're at the NATIONAL????????
(So I can ride with the Travelers)            I'm honest and trustworthy!!    :)

Ride safe, Ted

Wow Ted!
I'm really sorry to read about your Avalanche being stolen, that sucks!  :-\
Hope it's recovered OK.

Yah, me too.

Getting back to his Wheel balancer,,,,, I may balance mine the same way he did his.

Looks like a good option.

Ride safe, Ted