• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

picture problem

ibdave

Bicycle
I have a profile picture which has worked fine until now. NOW when I view it I am purple colour. I am using Windows Explorer 8 and windows XP. How can I fix it - not that I don't think purple is a fabulous colour. ;) Same story if I click on photos NE area. It all used to show reasonable skin tones.

Might be how that version browser shows images that are also a link. For the image you post here... Look at the code you are pasting here to post the image... it should only use "img" tags and not "url" tags. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Yes the web browser is seeing the link used for the picture as a "link" and therefor highlighting it for you. We all need to know what the basic fix is. I agree that it may be to use the
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

The problem I have been seeing probably is due to folks sharing images hosted by places like Webshots, Photobucket, etc. Most of these site make it easy to share by providing links for email, forums, etc. The problem is that the thumbnail image size is usually a linked thumbnail, like this... Instead of just the image like this...
th_2-angelina-jolie.jpg
The problem is compounded if your browser is configured to change the color of a link to purple or something. Click on first image to follow the link, then use BACK button to return to this page and see if the image is purple or not. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif

.......Look at the code you are pasting here to post the image... it should only use "img" tags and not "url" tags......... I didn't understand what you guys are telling me. The image came from a file on my computer. I think i just hit browse on the edit image screen selected the file and hit the upload button. How to I find/change the code associated with the image?

I have the same problem in my members post. The pics in the forum look OK but on the members page my bright red connie is bright blue. I finally gave up on trying to fix it. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

How to I find/change the code associated with the image?
Go to the post in question and click the edit button for that post. This will allow you to edit it and see the code that posts the image. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif

The pics in the forum look OK but on the members page my bright red connie is bright blue. I finally gave up on trying to fix it.
Bill - the image in your profile looks fine over here... -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif

My pic in the members list is very blue, but all the pics there are messed up for me. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

posted by sawfiler -"My pic in the members list is very blue, but all the pics there are messed up for me" Same for me. Pics in the forum are fine, member's list pics show all coggers are purple people and if I look at the photos section from the home page I see that it's true - all coggers are purple. Can't understand what the suggested solutions are asking me to do.
davecavern.jpg

David, I just looked at both the pics, the one you posted here and the one in the members list area. They are the same for me with no color variation. I am using Firefox. I'll try it with IE and see what happens. OK, now viewing it with IE ver 8 its a mess, everything is purple including all the banners on the fourm and ALL the pictures. I don't use IE often enough to know what the issue is but I know Firefox has no issues,,thats why I use it as my default browser, Microsoft makes such GREAT software :-(

I have the same problem in my members post. The pics in the forum look OK but on the members page my bright red connie is bright blue. I finally gave up on trying to fix it.
Its normal with Firefox but you are correct with IE its all off color. They using Firefox because for me its a Internet Explorer issue.

Steve now that is a link I will follow anywhere... I too use Firefox and see no problems. I don't understand something. You say you browse on the edit image screen and upload. I didn't think you could do that and all images had to be hosted else where on the web and only linked to here. Where is this edit image screen of which you speak? ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

go to member area, my info, edit photo, click the browse button. It might be a cogmos problem with IE 8, before I updated IE seemed to work fine. Other picture web pages outside of cogmos seem to work fine.

Sorry to take so long to get onto this. The issue appears to be with IE8 not Cogmos or the code around the image. IE8 interprets images differently than IE7, Chrome, Firefox etc. If you save the image that looks bad on IE8 on you desktop and open it in, any other browser MS Paint etc all looks fine. Let me find out more and get back to you folks, I have a suspicion its related to incorrect or incomplete image JPG Header information. Colin Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

In IE8 at the right of the address bar, before the refresh and stop buttons is a compatibility button that reads the page as IE7. If you are having issues viewing the page with IE8, click the button and it will refresh itself as reading it in IE7 mode and add the website address to it's list of pages to be opened in IE7 mode.

Just tried you r idea Rob and no change, My beautiful red bike is still blue. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Just tried you r idea Rob and no change, My beautiful red bike is still blue.
Same with me. pics on home page, on clicking on say, 'tech pages' and other web sites all seem to work. I don't even know what fire fox et al is! much less try to use it to access the web. BTW I use Norton Internet Security, could this be f'n things up?

I don't even know what fire fox et al is! much less try to use it to access the web. BTW I use Norton Internet Security, could this be f'n things up?
Firefox is a internet browser much like IE but its NOT a Microsoft product. Its easy to down load and install to try out. You do not need to remove IE. I find it's much more stable, faster and has much less security issues than IE. Its not an issue with Norton, I get the same color issues if I view the forum using IE ver 8 just like you guys are. I'm running a Dell with Windows XP and Internet Explorer ver 8 and McAfee security. I stopped using IE a few years ago because of the issues it has. Try out Firefox, its free and you can just delete it if you don't like it. If you PC asks you to set it for the default browser you can just say NO and nothing will change. It will work normally and so will IE. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html?from=getfirefox

Just tried you r idea Rob and no change, My beautiful red bike is still blue.
Strange since in my browser, your picture is correct and the bike is red instead of that beautiful Nocturne Blue. :) Makes me wonder what is up.

Looks like the issue is with IE8 and the way it handles CMYK jpegs or PNG images Read the following thread which explains what is going on http://www.webmasterworld.com/html/3885754.htm Looks like folks that have saved their images in this format need to re-save them. Or use another browser :) I'll keep looking into it. Colin Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Thanks for your help. Heres what I did. assumed all micro soft stuff will work together. So, used MS paint to open the pic on my computer which I use for cog profile and then saved with a new filename as a JPEG. Then went to cog-online, my info and edit my photo and selected reset then picked browse and found the new file which I then uploaded. Waited about 5or6 minutes and then looked at myself in members list and VOILA no longer a purple person. :) I think it depends how the software I used the first time saved the pic, prolly this CMYK RBG stuff Colin mentioned. PS all the rest of COG are purple people:p :p :p

Dave your the man. My red bike is red again. Thanks COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife